Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

springfield hi-cap, for limited

G+16

• 5 weeks later...
:) finally done, o.k. not real pretty grip, best me could come up with was hogue grip for 14-45, and that had to be filed for ever to get the ribs out to fit, most of the delay was my fault, first time building wide-body, i kept getting single stack parts, when to brown ext.mag release, trigger is from wilson combat, I have a very good gunsmith, very quick turn around (when he has the right parts), he cut in the sights, lowered and flared the ejector port, drilled and taped for the dawson mag and did'nt charge me an arm and a leg, 200 rounds breck in and no burps, seems to have sighted in real well, o.k. did'nt think it would take 1400 dollors to do it but i'm prety happy with it, all i'm waiting on now it the grams bases, yea i know that poor man is buried in work, well what do ya think??????????????

post-5334-1114617673_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I have the org Springfield Hicap 45, with problems

All I shoot is factory hardball. First frame went south before 5,000 rounds. Second frame just went south before 600 rounds. You know when the frame cracks because you a bunch of failure to feed problems. The crack is always in the same location, left side rear of magwell at the thumb saftey area.

When this pistol gets back from Springfield it is going on the market.

Looks like you're in the High cap game.

Personally;

I would dump all the extended controls (slide stop and mag button) and ditch the thick rubber grips.

Skate tape is going to let you get a better grip on a smaller surface to boot.

If accuracy ain't what you'd hoped for try having the GS fit a new bushing and oversized slide stop (EGW?) before going as far as a rebarrel.

Other than that, welcome to the jungle.

:huh: between major and local matches and various range time, mine has between 1800-2000 rns through it, other than changing to 12 pound recoil spring, have not had to touch gun (yes the frame is almost totally disassembled) after each major match, no cracks or hent of one. but I've never shot factory ammo through it either, only match reloads. magazines where the big problem with my missfeeds, once I got the basepads to fit right and the inside of the magazines slick enought, and keep them that way it seems to run pretty good. The only burp is me :wacko: sorry about your luck, what's SA say about it?

I have the org Springfield Hicap 45, with problems

All I shoot is factory hardball.  First frame went south before 5,000 rounds. Second frame just went south before 600 rounds. You know when the frame cracks because you a bunch of failure to feed problems. The crack is always in the same location, left side rear of magwell at the thumb saftey area.

When this pistol gets back from Springfield it is going on the market.

gregory, did springfield ever discuss the problem with you? I would think their warrenty would cover this.

Springfield had no problems replacing the frame the first time. They only asked if reloads were used. I am still watting on the pistol to be fixed and set back to me. So I cant say on the second, but they had no problems getting me an RMA. Terry (Springfield) knew where the crack was without me telling him the second time. I dont know how detailed there records are or if it is just a common problem for those that shot a lot of factory hardball.

Springfields lifetime warrenty is real easy to deal with. I just don't like the fact that I had to deal with it twice on the same pistol.