Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom IDPA vests in violation of 8.9.5?

packeagle

8.9.5 Specially made pockets for magazine stowage after a reload may not be used.

I'm making a vest for use as an IDPA concealment garment. I am working on the pockets right now. I have two pockets about the size of BDU cargo pockets. If I place a mag in them after a reload with retention, is this a violation of the rule. I've seen some other vests with large pockets used, some even "made to order." What say ye?

Whether it's within the rules or not probably depends on whether you shoot really fast and accurately and move really fast. The better you shoot, the more likely a rule will be found to prevent you from doing so, unless your name is bob vogel.

I personally would say that ANY match-only vest is totally against the spirit of IDPA and makes a joke of the whole sport and would get you iced in the streets (meow), but obviously my opinion is not shared by anyone with any influence over IDPA rules.

:cheers:

Motosapiens,

That is kind of my point in my last post. I shoot IDPA because I'm close to an IDPA club and its fun, It's a game. I'm a MM and I shoot just in the top half of that class around here. so, I don't feel that a vest is going to win or lose a match for me, and a "High SSP MM" trophy isn't all that prestigious anyway... I really am not aiming to gain an unfair advantage over people who purchase their vests. I just know how to sew and enjoy making my own equipment for my hobbies. The deal is if it is custom made, and I have intent to stow magazines in the pocket. One could attempt to DQ or FTDR becasue I specially made the pocket to stow magazines no matter what its actual design.

Off topic, but you've touched on what becomes bigger issues the more you spend time in IDPA. Real life. Intent. Subjectiveness. Competitor versus tactical. Picture "air quotes" around all of those.

Have your vest made or make it yourself if you're handy with fabric. But as you heard, just don't make it extreme and you'll probably be fine. Ah, but what is extreme? hahahah. Probably be fine? When would or wouldn't you? hahahahah.

Just like the cleat rule recently. Saw people at a match just last week where no way in heck would I call the shoes, straight up football cleats, be legal due to intent. Fingernail test? pffft, that's silly and sooo arbitrary.

fwiw in 15 major matches all over the US the only vest issues i've seen are for ones too short to cover the gun during the scarecrow test and for people putting patches on the lower pockets.

d

on't exceed what 5.11 or armadillo does and you'll "probably" be fine.

The only thing I've used my pockets for is storing pastors. On occasion I'll perform a parlor trick and use my strong side vest pocket for a RWR, but it's nothing I'd risk doing in a major match.

• 2 weeks later...

The pockets on my Dillo vest aren't specially made for mag stowage. They are pockets that you can stow anything in. You can't outlaw something without defining it and there is a ton of stuff not defined in the rulebook.

patches on upper pocket ok, patches on lower pocket no. reasoning i heard is it is considered a stiffener to the pocket. too gamer, adding something to the pocket to keep it open for a rwr and such.

and that word "intent" rears its ugly head again.

Going a different route what vests are you guys wearing? I have an old Woolrich lightweight vest that I like but I've worn holes on the inside from the gun. Time to shop for a new vest and there are not many options these days.

your pocket looks fine.. if a SO notices that then you have already got the finger for several other things.. I've worn out 2 Cabelas vests other the years and just about have a Columbia vest worn out..

Lemme see if I have this right. IDPA says gun must be concealed. Vests are OK. But some vests are not OK? Well, which ones, or are we back to Tribal Rules and whatever the local newly-annointed SO says?

I thought that sort of thing was supposed to be done away with in the new Rule Book".