Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vibrating Case Cleaners

SAW45

Hello!

I'm interested in buying a case cleaner. I'll probably be cleaning around 200 45ACP cases at a time, once I get started. I'm wondering which are the best cleaners both in function and reliability. I have about 5000 cases now, that I want to clean first. Maybe a large cleaner would be best? Will a large cleaner work, if only a couple of hundred cases are cleaned at one time? I've also seen the spinning cages that supposedly empty the media from the cleaned cases. Is this the way to go, and is there a brand that is better then the others?  Thanks!

Lyman brand turbo 1200 works for me, although the large Dillon is better quality for the long haul.  I tried the cheapo media seperator from Natchez (like $17 to $20) and it effectively coated my bathroom in dust made of walnut, powder residue, lead, mercury salts, etc. etc. There is only one choice for those who reload in the city/indoors: buy the RCBS enclosed and covered media seperator.

I started with a small Lyman and a kitchen colander as a sifter.  Eventually broke down and bought the big Dillon Tumbler and their big media separator.  Don't know how I lived without them.  My tumbling chores have gone form a couple of hours (of my handlabor) to do 2000 cases to about 5 minutes now.  Buying the big stuff has been one of the biggest speed improvements in the reloading process.

The tumblers probably all work equally well.  The Dillon's are the best built and come with Dillon's impeccable warranty.  

Get the Dillon separator.  Ignore the price...just get it.  Nothing else gets the media out as well.  Especially out of rifle cases.

E

You might want to grab a timer while you're at it.  It's really handy to stick in a load of brass, set it to run for a few hours and go do something else.

I adapted one of those cheap pegs-in-a-circle timers-- pulled out all the 'on' pegs, set the 'off' pegs to 2am and 3pm.   When I want to run a load for say 2 hours, I crank the dial around to midnight and manually flip it on.

Yeah, the big Dillon is the ticket for this sport - just wait until you buy that 1st batch of 1000 pieces of once fired brass real cheap at a big match - then get home and find your Lyman Turbo 1200 only holds about 350 and you have to keep emptying and refilling the thing and coating your bathroom in toxic dust 'cause there is no place out on the sidewalk in front of the building where you can sift cases without gathering a crowd of gawking people (gee- think that dust has had an effect on my mind??!?!). Buy the Dillon. D.

Get the clear lid with the midway tumbler...fill it up, turn it on and just watch the brass move around...kind of soothing the first few times.

Now it's throw in about 400-500 cases at midnight, let it run overnight in the garage, then dump into the seperator the next morning...pretty, shiny brass.

(Edited by vluc at 4:37 pm on Sep. 12, 2002)

• 2 weeks later...

The Dillon units have the biggest motors going and as such can be loaded up with brass.  The more loaded the tumbler is, without losing appreciable agitating motion, the more effective the tumbling you will get.  Let the weight of the load of brass work with you to really get the media to aggessively scrub the brass clean.  I know for a while there Dillon was using the same sized motors on both the small and large tumblers......don't know if that's still the case.  I have the smaller Dillon, a Hornady, and a Midway. Of them all, the Dillon is by far the strongest and best.  I don't like the grooves in the bowl of the Midway as it really bogs down the motion of the bowl when you try to load it up with brass.  

Warpspeed.  Out of curiousity, how much did Dillon charge to replace the motor?  I wonder why they require you to sent the whole unit back as it seems anyone would be able to replace it themselves without the added hassel and expense of shipping the whole tumbler back?  Hmmmm.

Quote: from shred on 5:35 am on Sep. 12, 2002

You might want to grab a timer while you're at it.  It's really handy to stick in a load of brass, set it to run for a few hours and go do something else.

I adapted one of those cheap pegs-in-a-circle timers-- pulled out all the 'on' pegs, set the 'off' pegs to 2am and 3pm.   When I want to run a load for say 2 hours, I crank the dial around to midnight and manually flip it on.

Hello, I am very happy to announce that DCB case cleaner can be obtained in USA through http://securityarms.com/dcb/index.htm and that it is being tested by a few american reloaders , one of them being a famous champion. have a look at this new tumbling media.

• 1 month later...

Used a Midway tumbler for years with no complaints until I started reloading for a shooting buddy and seriously increased the amount of lead launched downrange.  The Midway is just too small for volume reloading.  I've recently upgraded to the big Dillon and can't recommend it enough.

I tried to think why I got the Midway in the first place over Dillon, and then I remembered...I was dirt poor at the time:)!  There is a place for both Chevettes and Cadillacs in the world, buy the best you can afford.

I have two Midway tumblers, I use them for small amounts of brass and Moly coating projectiles. They work great.

For the HUGE amount of brass that I seem to do, I use my Dillon. It holds a lot more and cleans fine. But the seperator is the best part of the whole kit. I don't care what tumbler I use but you have to have the Dillon seperator, it's the ducks nuts.

What was SG doing to her poor defenseless tumbler to set it on fire?????

(Edited by gm iprod at 1:01 am on Nov. 6, 2002)