Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the best chrono ?

Asking what's the best is a loaded question. Oehler probably makes the best. It runs about $600 without a printer, but there are other chronographs that start there in price and go up.

So, I'd say to start with, are you looking for something for pistol or rifle and what kind of budget do you have.

I do use a the Shooting Chrony. It's reasonably priced, but I can't get the printer to work reliably. I would not say its the best but it gets the job done.

Edited by PaidKiller

When I started looking for a chrono, my first inclination was to find the one with the most bells and whistles. I did get one like that and had it for years. After I went to a big match one time, I almost went sub major, so I decided to get the same chrono that they use at most of the big matches. The one I saw used at most is the CED M2. I feel it's best to use what they use since that is what you'll be "graded" on.. May not be the best but it's very good and has a lot of features.

Lab Radar is still running behind and won't have a production ready unit for a few more months at the earliest.

Sent from the range

I decided to get the same chrono that they use at most of the big matches. The one I saw used at most is the CED M2.

Competitive shooter, this sounds like the best advice.

I just bought a MagnetoSpeed V3 with pistol adapter (>$400). Tweaked it to work with my CZ and Glock by adding shims. Easy to use and download data in CSV output. Indoor range use is a plus. My CE Pro will live to see another day with only two added airflow holes.....

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=69339.0 (setup failure and success with shim pictures)

Edited by amada8

I decided to get the same chrono that they use at most of the big matches. The one I saw used at most is the CED M2.

Competitive shooter, this sounds like the best advice.

I just bought a MagnetoSpeed V3 with pistol adapter (>$400). Tweaked it to work with my CZ and Glock by adding shims. Easy to use and download data in CSV output. Indoor range use is a plus. My CED will live to see another day with only two added airflow holes.....

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=69339.0 (setup failure and success with shim pictures)

you got an adapter for the pistol with yours? I don't see the same one or anything like that on their site, I would love to get one for mine but I have version 2

Looking for a not so expensive one for both rifle and pistol.juat to see how fast ammo is running

But you said "best", right? [emoji1]. Well, for an economical model, I would look at the Caldwell chrono. My buddy has one and it is spot on with my M2. The main engineer there is very responsive to requests as I have worked with him on improvements.

Sent from the range

I have an Oehler P35. Bought it used a few years ago and it does the trick. I have been watching the LabRadar pretty closely since it was shown at SHOT last year and if the production model is every released and it works as advertised, I will probably pick one up.

Pro Chrono digital is what I use. Easy and fast to set up, reads the same as CED at major matches,only around 100 bucks on sale. I tried using a CED but it is such a PITA to just run 20 rounds across.

And I know it gets mentioned a lot but if you are routinely shooting parts of your chrono you have bigger problems than making power factor

Oehler 35P is the best (and it does have a built in printer)!

http://www.oehler-research.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=35P

Competition Electronics is the best for the money !

http://www.competitionelectronics.com/product/prochrono-digital/

100% spot on.

Edited by warpspeed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon,

I, too, find the Shooting Chrony Beta (mine is a Beta Master) to be excellent. I've compared it to some friends more expensive ones, and the recorded velocities are nearly identical within the tolerances of the units. There's others with more features and a bit more convenient to use, but I've been using the Beta with the printer you can buy separately, for nearly 15 years and it's been perfectly acceptable. It's also nice that it doesn't break the bank, and the printer is a nice to have, but not a need to have.

I have found that if I use the "skyscreens" all the time, I never have to worry about a bullet not getting "seen". So, whether sunny or not, I find that seems to work best for me.

All my best,

Rob

Edited by RobfromME

• 2 weeks later...

Pro Chrono digital is what I use. Easy and fast to set up, reads the same as CED at major matches,only around 100 bucks on sale. I tried using a CED but it is such a PITA to just run 20 rounds across.

I agree 100% with this - and I have 2 PACT Mk3's a CED and the PCD. It is just easier to use the PCD when you just wanna' do a few rounds.