Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

varmint AR-15

cardboardkiller

I know this doesn't really fit in the 3-gun forum, but I don't know where else to put it and since there are more people here than anywhere else I know of that have seen and shot JP AR's and I thought I'd trouble you guys for your opinions.

I'm looking to get a varmint AR (I've been pining away for a CTR-02 for a couple of years) and I'm wondering who you guys would buy from for a really accurate p-dog bustin'/bench AR? Is there anyone else out there that I needed to take a look at before I plunk down $2350 for a rifle?

I called JP last week and they gave me a build time of about 4 weeks depending on options.

I've got an RRA Varminter ordered for a second gun, a guy can't have too many AR's.

I've posted a similar thread over at AR15.com, but have received little response.

Thanks.

The CTR-02 with the nice laminated wood thumbhole stock, heavy 24" barrel, etc would make an awesome varmit buster.

There are probably other folks doing this type of work but if you are going to pay that kind of money you might as well get it from JP and know you have the best.

I love my JP and am going to add a CTR-02 to the stable one of these years (or whatever it is by then). Not that my current JP lacks anything; but one can never have too many guns. :D

Most of the prairie dog hunters I talk to out here favor lighter bullets in the 40-55 grain range. The higher velocity helps with the terminal ballistics, so a 1/9 twist might even be too fast. I heard internet rumors of thin skinned light varmint bullets blowing up when pushed too fast through a 1/7 tube.

Can't go wrong with a JP.

The CTR-02 with the nice laminated wood thumbhole stock, heavy 24" barrel, etc would make an awesome varmit buster.

There are probably other folks doing this type of work but if you are going to pay that kind of money you might as well get it from JP and know you have the best.

I love my JP and am going to add a CTR-02 to the stable one of these years (or whatever it is by then). Not that my current JP lacks anything; but one can never have too many guns. :D

I really would like to have the thumbhole stock, but alas I shoot a rifle left-handed.

Some of the thumbhole stocks I have tried on for size have been fairly comfortable for me, but I'm afraid after a long day of shooting the edge they have in the hole might make a helluva raw/sore spot.

pcwvms24fvar9.jpg

I’ve got a Bushmaster Varminter, 24”, 1/9, 4150 steel barrel, setup a lot like the one in the picture. Mine’ll shoot 1/2”-5/8” all day with most 55 fmjbt’s and it goes bang every time I pull the trigger. It may be “no JP” (tho it does have a JP trigger) but at 1/3 of the cost I guess it’s good enough for an old, fat, poor boy such as myself!

Ed

I live in Arkansas and am planning on going p-dog shooting with a group of friends in SD this summer, so it won't be a frequent event or I would buy a 220 Swift or 22-250 bolt gun (I had a mildly stroked VSSF Sendero that I could shoot 4" groups with at 600 yards that I should've kept).

I love shooting AR's and the anti's hate them, not to mention the "hug anything that's cute and doesn't hurt my living" crowd. What better reason is there to get another one?

Oh yeah, a lust for new guns.

Most of the prairie dog hunters I talk to out here favor lighter bullets in the 40-55 grain range. The higher velocity helps with the terminal ballistics, so a 1/9 twist might even be too fast. I heard internet rumors of thin skinned light varmint bullets blowing up when pushed too fast through a 1/7 tube.

Oops! I forgot that you want to use lighter bullets for this. I was thinking heavier for longer range shooting, but that's not the way it works for varmint hunting. If you need more range, you go to the bigger gun. ;)

I just got off the phone with JP and ordered my CTR-02.

1:9 Twist 24" Heavy Barrel

3-3.5lb trigger

Tactical Operating System

Bench Rest Stock

JP Brake

Presentation Grade Silver & Black Finish

Large Black T-shirt

Approximately a 6 week build time.

I feel really poor now, but can't wait to throw them the other $1465 for the other half of the rifle.

JP is switching vendors for their lowers, they have 9 in stock after my order and they are unsure how long it will be before they start receiving lowers from their new vendor (the new vendor is working on their line now though).

I've been going out to the Dakotas for about 12 years now to shoot dogs.

I have used .223s, 22-250s and .243s. and have used a wide range of bullets and guns.

Although my 40XB, in .22-250 will shoot groups under 1/4" at 100 yards, with 55 grain bullets, I've found that my ARs that shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards actually preform better in the windy conditions that are always there, because I use heavier bullets in them.

I believe the Hornady 60 grain V-Max, and the 68 grain match seem to work as an all around best out there. With good hits, they seem to blow up dogs as well as the 40-55 grain bullets.

For my 1-9 twist barrel, the 60 grains are the most accurate. Although the 68 grain bullets only group 3/4" at 100 yards, the still group 3/4" at 200 yards. I think it has something with that they don"t stabilize out of the 1-9 until past 100 yards.

With 68 grain or heavier, my choice is a 1-8 twist.

And, or course there is the fun factor with an AR that has a good 2 lb. trigger, over a bolt gun when you get in to a town of dumb dogs you can shoot a lot faster!

I've been going out to the Dakotas for about 12 years now to shoot dogs.

I have used .223s, 22-250s and .243s. and have used a wide range of bullets and guns.

Although my 40XB, in .22-250 will shoot groups under 1/4" at 100 yards, with 55 grain bullets, I've found that my ARs that shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards actually preform better in the windy conditions that are always there, because I use heavier bullets in them.

I believe the Hornady 60 grain V-Max, and the 68 grain match seem to work as an all around best out there. With good hits, they seem to blow up dogs as well as the 40-55 grain bullets.

For my 1-9 twist barrel, the 60 grains are the most accurate. Although the 68 grain bullets only group 3/4" at 100 yards, the still group 3/4" at 200 yards. I think it has something with that they don"t stabilize out of the 1-9 until past 100 yards.

With 68 grain or heavier, my choice is a 1-8 twist.

And, or course there is the fun factor with an AR that has a good  2 lb. trigger, over a bolt gun when you get in to a town of dumb dogs you can shoot a lot faster!

I'll 2nd RH45 (though I don't have 12 years of experience).

You might find that the guides don't tend to like ARs. They call them jam-o-matics. But being in a town with a semi is, well, nothing short of awesome.

My set-up was a 22" JT Distributing (http://www.jtdistributing.com/) heavy barreled upper with a milled in comp, 1/8" on a bushy lower. Single stage Jard trigger (yes it took some serious fiddling to get right) at about 2lbs. I was shooting Hornady V-Max bullets (60's I think). Out to about 300yds this thing was flat out amazing. Past that more gun was better.

1 jam in 2 days, about 500 rds.

BTW, I can verify that thin skinned varmit bullets will vaporize if driven too hard - a good 22-250 will do it in a heart beat. Most of the bullets have published speed limits of about 3000fps. There are some 22-250's with real low twist rates (maybe 1-15 or even 1-16) . I couldn't do it with my 1-8 AR (223 of course).

I also changed from my Jewell trigger to a Jard, and they are a pain to set up, but, I think it is worth it.

Jams, with an AR in sand country with high winds?

I've heard of that before.

• 2 years later...
A Clark Gator with a 1-8 or 1-7 twist barrel would be awesome if you can wait until they do a run with the faster twists (the standard is 1-9).

+1 on the Clark Gator. I have it in a 1-9 and love it. 25gr. of Varget with Hornady 68 gr. match BTHP

I have a JP CTR-02 set up for 3 Gun. I don't think you can buy any better. I have also shot two guns that Benny built that shoot just as well but they are not as pretty or expensive either. Another gun to consider is the Wilson Super Sniper Tactical Model. The accuracy is right there with the JPs and Benny guns.

Just a curious question, Does the Jp come with an accuracy guarantee? I know the Les baer Rifles come with a .5 moa. I Read what you said about wanting a Ar, and I totally understand, they are great, if the wind is calm, and the dogs, are thick, and close. I have been hunting them for going on 15 years now, and I seldom even use mine anymore. Where I hunt the wind is almost always a factor. I Usually use my Rem 700 in 6mm Remington loaded with a 87 grain v max. The bullet resists the wind, and the Carnage, and Audible Impact, is something to behold. I would advise anyone who has always wanted to dog hunt, to do it soon. The changes I have seen since I started are unreal. There are now Crazy reservation liscense fees, guide requirements, and alot of land that is now off limits, unless you pay. I have a feeling in a few years, it will be just a Rich mans sport, like most big game hunting. Good luck, with the hunt, and the new rifle.

Guess I'm a bit late with this, but for the left handed a Stag arms left hand model would be nice. You can trick it out as you wish or just build additional uppers for different purposes. I'm in the heavy bullet crowd 69's for anything over 300 and 77's for those over 600. Last time out in May got three in a row at 615 yd. with a 1 in 8 twist 24 in. AR.