Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

YouTube vids - No scoring shown

emjei

I agree. it's annoy. I can blaze a stage too full of mikes and NS and look like eric graufel.

I was so happy when I came across some vids by dalmas4 (youtube name). He has a great vid called "this is IPSC" which is great to show new people who have no inkling about the sport. but even better in some of his match vids he adds the scores in as he shoots the targets. Very cool.

check them out. they are worth the look:

Does anyone know how to do this? I like it.

I have no idea but I thought it was cool as hell. So nice to see him break 2 shots and see the little A A pop up. even the 'ping' for the steel. lol.

I truly wish all the IPSC stage vids were like that. It must be a hassle. I'm assuming he has someone record or film all the hits and later he goes back and edits in the hits. seems like a lot of work but it makes the vids so much more enjoyable to watch.

He has some funny ones too like.. A...M...(shoots extra)...waste of time...

Edited by BeerBaron

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are few things in life as tedious as editing videos… I just stick with the Stage Number, Competitor and Hit Factor as that is the minimum amount of data that a viewer would need to figure out how good the stage run was (through only when compared to other competitors).

I transitioned from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksyYcEZC8dg

to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ78AaPUCNQ

The first approach made the video longer than it needed to be. I've included the place because coworkers, non shooting friends, etc always want to know how I did but the letters are far more telling. It does add some time editing the video, but I found it made it easier for better shooters to help me with my shooting.

Will do the overlay in the lower left, with letters, for A2.

I'm involved in making videos and am required to show the shooting, timer and hits all in one take, no cuts. Giving you just the information you ask, but these videos are for a specific purpose. Not just ones of me practicing or shooting matches.

What I tire of are the videos showing someone shooting a bill drill or el pres in a really quick time, but on big pieces of steel. Kinda lacks a little creditability if you ask me.

I'm involved in making videos and am required to show the shooting, timer and hits all in one take, no cuts. Giving you just the information you ask, but these videos are for a specific purpose. Not just ones of me practicing or shooting matches.

What I tire of are the videos showing someone shooting a bill drill or el pres in a really quick time, but on big pieces of steel. Kinda lacks a little creditability if you ask me.

Whats the purpose?

One of my sponsors, CompeteNow.com, has various pistol challenges that I'm in charge of filming myself doing for the members on the site. Normally just simple things like a Bill drill, 1 shot draw, 1-reload-1, failure drill. That sort of thing. So people who are recreational shooters can do the same thing and gauge themselves off a competitive shooter. Until you guys or similar start signing on and smoking me when you upload results. =)

I have to film it all in one take and in such a way that there is no hint of "finessing" things, as my times/scores are used as the benchmark. Normally I set up the camera perpendicular to me, shoot the drill walk over and show the timer to the camera then pick it up and walk down to the targets.

Not nearly as complex as trying to do that on a stage at a match.

Dan, that is so awesome!! it's nice to watch and see where you got the mikes etc. It's interesting to watch the stage after you got 2 mikes. The first three targets on that stage all got three hits each! lol. those mikes just swallow up the old confidence don't they?! It's interesting on the first mike in that 2 mike stage it definitely looked like you moved the gun off target high right as the shot was about to break and the mike on the popup would have been hard to call as a mike.

Awesome shooting though mate. How do you feel about major/minor in classic? I see you're still running your trojan in super. You don't tend to drop a lot of D's so I wonder if you'd actually get any benefit from major or not given you loose 2 rounds and have a slightly angrier gun to deal with?

I'm sure it was a hassle to add them in, but it's definitely more enjoyable to watch as a fellow shooter. so thank you. :)

Edited by BeerBaron

I agree. it's annoy. I can blaze a stage too full of mikes and NS and look like eric graufel.

I was so happy when I came across some vids by dalmas4 (youtube name). He has a great vid called "this is IPSC" which is great to show new people who have no inkling about the sport. but even better in some of his match vids he adds the scores in as he shoots the targets. Very cool.

check them out. they are worth the look:

How dies he know which shot is which hit?

Really gold shot calling and remembering?

3 on each target was on purpose beerbaron. Part of the cof.

I still think minor is better but only because i haven't been beaten by anyone shooting major yet.

Plus i miss steel too much to only run 8 in the mag.

haha, I got sucked in on that one. Since it came directly after the 2 mike stage I was thinking "ru-roh, dan is not trusting his accuracy on this one"!

I've only just tooled around with my classic gun a bit so far (have not grown my moustache long enough yet) but I also think the extra 2 rounds and the nice to shoot minor loads are worth more than the extra C and D points. Someone like your good self who only rarely shoots a D is not likely to give much up against a major shooter. It's interesting though a lot of people seem to think they need major to be competitive in classic. Probably someone like me who gets pretty sloppy when I push the speed might need the major points.

3 on each target was on purpose beerbaron. Part of the cof.

I still think minor is better but only because i haven't been beaten by anyone shooting major yet.

Plus i miss steel too much to only run 8 in the mag.

haha, I got sucked in on that one. Since it came directly after the 2 mike stage I was thinking "ru-roh, dan is not trusting his accuracy on this one"!

I've only just tooled around with my classic gun a bit so far (have not grown my moustache long enough yet) but I also think the extra 2 rounds and the nice to shoot minor loads are worth more than the extra C and D points. Someone like your good self who only rarely shoots a D is not likely to give much up against a major shooter. It's interesting though a lot of people seem to think they need major to be competitive in classic. Probably someone like me who gets pretty sloppy when I push the speed might need the major points.

I just watched the video though and only 3-4 stages gave you a mag advantage shooting minor, one of those was because of misses and one you did a standing reload anyways... I guess it would come down to how your splits are.

Got the hits added in. Took quite a while. Not sure if I'd bother again.

Just watched this video and it was pretty cool seeing the hits. I bet it was very time consuming. I have to admit, it was a little distracting and I found myself looking for the letters instead of paying attention to the actual shooting.

In my most recent match video, I added everything in as an overlay at the beginning of each stage. Not sure I love this format yet:

When I first started putting my IDPA videos on YouTube, I'd put the time and points down for each stage in the bottom left corner for a few seconds. Nice and unobtrusive.

Recently, I've gotten lazy and/or too impatient to wait for the scores to come out before making the video, so I've just been putting a link to the match results in the description. :P

What really bugs me about shooting videos is when there's 10 seconds of filler for every 1 second of actual shooting. Do people really need to see someone load and make ready 8 times in one video?

What really bugs me about shooting videos is when there's 10 seconds of filler for every 1 second of actual shooting. Do people really need to see someone load and make ready 8 times in one video?

I typically start recording after the RO says "Are you ready?", that way I get the "Standby…, Beep" at the start.

There is a billion Shooting Videos in YouTube BUT.... have you noticed that 99.9% of them dont show the actual scoring of the targets ??

I can hose a stage and look good for the video but I can also have a bunch of Mikes ...lol

I like to see how the Grauffels, Racazza, Stoegers and John Does gets their Alphas while shooting at the speed of light. ......agree ???

Mj

I will try to look up the scores in USPSA.org. Especially with the top guys to breakdown HF, and their movement. From My experience they are getting the hits. Very high percentage As.

Got the hits added in. Took quite a while. Not sure if I'd bother again.

That is neat but I'm sure it took much longer than I have patience.

I've been recording my scores from my local indoor matches... since we score three strings together at the end it doesn't add too much time.

That, and I'm recording and editing them for myself more than expecting other people to watch them. I'll probably keep recording them but might not edit them to the videos unless I have something odd (or awesome).

Edited by AJE