Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

concealed carry ...... retention level

3djedi

After watching the walmart concealed carry take down I was shocked at how fast the guy was disarmed. What if this had been a bad guy that disarmed him and killed him with his own gun?

Anyway, it has me rethinking my holster options. I mostly carry OWB in a kydex pancake type holster under a jacket but I thinking about switching to a safariland ALS type holster that would at least make it a little harder to be disarmed.

I am curious as to how you guys carry and if this incident made you consider other options......

http://youtu.be/i_6p0WdlA58

No holster retention system would have prevented that gentleman

from being disarmed ... :surprise:

Makes me feel it's even more necessary that my handgun is

CONCEALED.

If no one can see it, there isn't any problem. :bow: :bow:

Ahmen Jack

Proves that if you make the first move the other guy is in trouble. Situational awareness is key. Get the ear buds out and don't play with your phone. Observe and like Jack said make sure you keep it out of sight.

First off let me saw open carry would not have solve this problem...hahaha. But watching this clip shows most people do not practice gun retention. Heck, I would say 95% of conceal carry holders do not practice gun retention. I am a Sergeant with a Sheriff's Office and I believe we do not practive enough weapons retention and our guns are out all the time. Watching the clip as well I noticed the conceal carry holder and did have any fight in him. If someone jumped me from behind I would be fighting until I got control of the situation or was knocked out. When I guy came up from behind him he didn't really react. He does not have a winning mindset in a confrontation and I don't he should be carry a gun at all because I believe he would be disarmed before deciding to use it, but that is just my opinion. As to the retention for CONCEALED carry you holster should have enough retention to hold the gun in place if you were to fall, or being pushed down in a confrontation. By the gray man with the gun. Obliviously this man was not doing a great job at concealed carry. But I will say again the biggest problem is the individuals mindset; not a winning one. Anyone who carries a gun should be prepared to use it. Of course everyone would say, "Of course I would use it." But individuals have to think deep about the question. Are they truly willing to take someone's life in defense of themselves or others. I ask the same to all the rookie cops. I don't tell them to answer right away because they are just going to give the answer they think I want to hear.

I had a thug try to remove my wallet. I squeezed his wrist I fractured it. Years of defensive tactics and powerlifting paid off. Captains of crush #3 definitely helps wrist control. This situation was crazy. I do not get this fear of guns while they are in a holster. The guy had a ccw permit, but imagine if it was an plain clothes cop. It could have ended much worse. The obvious solution is to keep it concealed, but I am sure the response would vary a lot from state to state. In NY, the ccw holder would probably get charged with brandishing a firearm and lose his right to possess a firearm again. NY is screwed up though!

He had the gun concealed. I think I heard that the man saw him putting it on in his car......

That's one issue with the crossbreed type holster. The gun is almost at your back and you can't see what's going on back there. A holster at your 3 or appendix might give you a little more control. A level of retention might give you a few extra seconds to react.

I don't think it matters how much situational awareness you have if a guy bum rushes you from behind. And I agree, he didn't any fight in him.

Just imagine if he broke from the guys hold and draws his gun on this idiot...... Could of been a disaster for everybody.

I don't get what this guy was thinking in taking him down anyway? It's not like he was walking around with an AR aiming it at people.

Also, I didn't realize someone saw him putting it on in his car. I thought his shirt lifted up and maybe part of it was visible.

Edited by ICEMAN550

In NY, the ccw holder would probably get charged with brandishing a firearm

When I took the course for my CCW in New York State, about 30 years ago,

it was emphasized that we could carry concealed, but there could be MANY

problems if anyone actually viewed the firearm in public.

Including police action ... :surprise:

And, if the LEO was in plain clothes, the entire process could get VERY

difficult, VERY quickly.

Gotta keep it out of sight. :cheers:

I'm kind of thinking the guy was not fighting back because he recognized what it was and didn't want to escalate the situation.

Probably not a good idea.......

Edited by 3djedi

Jedi,

The ALS is a great system. I"ve been using an ALS paddle everyday for the last 8 months. I love 'em. Simple, secure and durable.

Are you talking on duty or off? Or both? Which model are you using do you know off hand?

ALS Paddle, Model 6378 for both. For work (when I don't need a sport coat), I added a 1.5" drop and .5" off-set which makes the rig very fast. For off duty and concealed work, I have another one without the drop/off-set. And my Tac rig had a drop and off-set too. I'm sold on the product and if I ever shoot production or 3 Gun seriously, I will use an ALS.......

They also make a GLS version that is activated by the middle finger of the drawing hand, but like Trace I prefer the ALS (thumb-activated). Both are very secure.

I often use mine with the belt adapter instead of the paddle to have it closer to my body. That's where my tendency is for reholstering.

I can't stop thinking this is the best outcome possible from this scenario. The wack job seemed determined to play cop. He seemed to know how to handle himself. The innocent guy didn't get hurt. Wack job got arrested. Gun owners were the ones with the cool heads, and didn't escalate the situation.

Nobody got hurt because of sheer luck in my opinion. When he first tackles the guy they knock a little kid down. The gun owner seems to throw up his and not struggle. I think the guy was yelling "he's got a gun" and the pinned guy was holding up his hands saying "I have a permit!" ......He get's disarmed and they proceed to pass the loaded gun around like a hot potato. Very lucky nobody was hurt........

He's probably an anti-gun wack job and thought he would try to make the poor concealed carry guy look like a criminal. The CC guy is a black man in his 60's and the other guy is white in his 40's. Isn't it strange that no one has cried racism? Where's Al-sharpton?

I have used the ALS 6378 with the belt loop since they were available for each pistol I own and they work well. Some like paddle holsters because they are easy to put on and off. They are also easy for the BG to remove with your pistol still in the holster. All my holsters have belt loops.

Any Kydex holster I have made has a snug fit with more than normal retention.

apetrulis01.

Agreed, ,most departments do not spend enough time with weapon take away/retention and civilians, for the most part, spend zero time training. It looks clear enough that the permit holder did not intend to put up a fight, but it illustrates what may happen when your awareness is very low. I don't think a different holster would have stopped this from happening, although I personally find it much easier to retain and more difficult to take a weapon from a IWB holster than a OWB holster. And any IWB holster is way more concealable that any OWB holster, which is really the definition of concealed carry.

Jedi,

The ALS is a great system. I"ve been using an ALS paddle everyday for the last 8 months. I love 'em. Simple, secure and durable.

I completely agree. I carry the ALS, and with just a little practice draw times don't suffer at all. It is a very secure and very fast holster.

I have used the ALS 6378 with the belt loop since they were available for each pistol I own and they work well. Some like paddle holsters because they are easy to put on and off. They are also easy for the BG to remove with your pistol still in the holster. All my holsters have belt loops.

Any Kydex holster I have made has a snug fit with more than normal retention.

I can't speak for all paddle holsters, but the ALS paddle I'm using isn't going to be "easy" for anyone to get out of my belt/pants.