Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

concealed carry ...... retention level

3djedi

I am familiar with them having purchased many when you got both belt and paddle attachments. Been to many handgun retention classes?

I have seen the pistol and holster removed from the owner who was trying to keep it on his belt. This was with a Blue Gun and not a Hot Weapon..

Edited by JBP55

I am familiar with them having purchased many when you got both belt and paddle attachments. Been to many handgun retention classes?

I have seen the pistol and holster removed from the owner who was trying to keep it on his belt. This was with a Blue Gun and not a Hot Weapon..

Yes, but it's been a long while and not with a paddle holster. Like I said, it wouldn't be "easy" even if I just sit there and let you do it. The taker would have to know to push on the paddle and pull on the gun, while pulling up on the hole thing.

FWIW, I agree that the belt loops are more secure. I just don't want to thread my belts through that and my belt loops every day for the next 9 years........

I have never liked the levers or tabs you have to press to release most of the retention systems I've seen but they were mostly the kind of holster WalMart might be selling . then after trying several IWB holsters I found that N8 Tactical have a really unique retention feature built in their "Professional" model IWB holster . Several folks have purchased the holster then when they tried it out the first time couldn't figure out how to pull the pistol back out of the holster until they read the directions that come with the holster. Here is a quote from their web site about the retention feature :

"Using polycarbonate also allowed us to develop a positive retention IWB holster with our Twist Release System™. When the holster is worn, your body puts pressure against the backing, which presses the firearm against the polycarbonate. The polycarbonate holds the firearm in place and provides additional security for the retention of your firearm. Simply drive your thumb between the holster and the grip, then slightly twist the grip toward your body to release the trigger guard from the retention bump for a smooth draw!"

I carry a G26 in a IWB holster at 4 o'clock and used a N8 Tactical "Professional" holster for a long time and was really happy with it and it is very comfortable as well but have since started using a "Stealth Gear" Onyx IWB holster because it has a thinner profile and breathes better in hot weather . However,... after viewing the video clip I may have to rethink the N8 Tactical holster because my SG Onyx holster has no retention whatsoever .

https://www.n82tactical.com/holster-options

Edited by eggman

Wow. I had not seen or heard of this until now. I'm glad this video and the surrounding evidence points to the assailant as a complete ***hat. I have a Tagua leather holster and like it because of the comfort it provides but it does lack in retention. My G17 fits tightly inside and I have no fear of it coming out unless someone wants it out like in this scenario. I think in that situation once the gun was out of both of our hands it would be time to fight. I know he was restrained but there's not much harm in trying and you're already being assaulted so... I'm hoping that somehow finding my way into the combatives class that just so happened to have Army football players and an Army boxer has prepared me at least a little bit. I still wish I had not been in their weight class but even though I knew I was likely to lose you still have to at least wait it out and try to capitalize on their mistake. I know it's a low thing to do but he left one arm free and his manhood was exposed...