Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kitchen Cabinets Reloading Bench?

alecmc

Anybody utilize regular kitchen cabinets into a reloading bench?

Going through some design ideas for a newly built reloading room, I'm going to build an " L " shaped bench, one side for presses, the other as a work surface.

As far as setup, the corner of the L would be a base corner cabinet lazy susan, and each tip of the L would be a 30" cabinet.

My concern is overall strength, These are the cheapo unfinished oak face cabinets in the home depot / lowes isle.

I figure I can reinforce it best I can with a ledger in the back between the cabinets, and making sure the cabinet is secured well to the wall, but past that I dont know.

I wont be doing heavy duty gun smith work or anything, but of course I need a nice ridgid bench for my presses, and something I can attach a vice too and can take a bit of tourqe.

Also, do you find that the 24"-25" depth for counter tops is sufficient?

An "L" shape built into a corner of a room along properly installing the cabinets and fastening them to the walls and finishing them off with a nice solid top (you didn't mention what your plans are for that which is pretty important), they should be very sturdy and more than sufficient for reloading. 24"-25" depth also is reasonable for your plans.

IMO

Had bigger versions of your proposed L for years. I tend to over-build them. Ledger boards across the rears, screwed and glued together, double 3/4 ply plus countertop tops. For the height, I built the works on risers, green lumber as I was in a basement. Only knock I have was how HEAVY my monstrosity got. But if you are not going to move it, should be fine.

Just a word about cabinets. If these are made of particle board instead of plywood, they will eventually break down. Especially if they ever get wet. Every pull of the handle is like tapping the particle board with a hammer. May take a long time but it will break down.

Thanks for the information guys, I decided to pass on the kitchen cabinets as the " base " for my bench build.

I felt , as already stated, they wouldnt be as sturdy as I was aiming for.

2nd... Cost, even buying the unfinished ones, I was looking at around 600 bucks in just cabinets alone.

I still decided to utlize cabinets in my build though, here is a picture below.

4x4 legs that are anchored into the concrete of my basement floor, 2x4 frame on top, screwed into wall.

painted and stained the bench and cabinets

Just waiting on my tops to be delivered, ordered some 1.5" thick butcher block counter tops.

I havent decided if i'm going to do a shelving system on the wall, I want to grow into the bench for a little while to see what my needs are.

16397528501_8eac8e7b99_b.jpg

Very nice! who did you order the butcher block top from?

Ikea actually, even with the shipping the price wasn't too absurd, about 300 bucks to do the whole bench, with enough left over to do a small table too.

The reviews online were positive and looked to be a good value.

Edited by alecmc