Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI DVC Open and Limited guns

Quack

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pardon my ignorance. I am just thinking about changing from production to limited. Why would this gun be a better choice than the Edge. I thought a heavier gun helped control recoil better than a light one.

I am just thinking about switching from production to limited.

have always shot striker fired guns. Why would this gun be better than an Edge. I thought heavier guns helped control recoil better than light ones.

Heavier is generally better to a point. Every shooter has a weight at which it becomes detrimental to the overall performance, it is subjective and personal so there is no "best". For example a 20lb gun would shoot very flat but be slightly more challenging to transition quickly.

A lightened slide would typically be considered better because it will have less reciprocal weight and shoot flatter, cycle faster, etc.

think about a jackhammer. It has a very heavy body (frame, barrel) but a much lighter reciprocating tool (slide). It is very stable because it takes a lot more energy to physically move the body of the machine than it does the tool, so the tool is the one that ends up moving and the body remains almost still. If you changed the balance of weight by using a heavier tool it would change the balance of energy and how it gets distributed so between the parts. So the now lighter body (in relation to the tool) would be closer in weight to the tool so it would bounce around more than it did with the lighter tool.

This is over simplified and there are a lot of other things involved but at the end of the day all we are trying to do is resolve the energy that's being put into the gun which is equal and opposite to the energy that's blowing the spit wad out of the straw.

It basically comes down to a personal preference on the solution you like best to do that.

I am just thinking about switching from production to limited.

have always shot striker fired guns. Why would this gun be better than an Edge. I thought heavier guns helped control recoil better than light ones.

Hey for what it's worth amigo you are on the right track. A lightened slide does not have the same feel. I have buddies who went from a standard slide, to a lightened one and hated it ( on a $$ custom gun) only to go back to a standard slide.

You hear the same advice time and time again ( because it is true ) shoot both and see what you like. Don't choose based on looks alone, (works ok dating strippers, not so much with competition handguns.) ?

Newbie Question on the 9mm caliber (I prefer 9mm) for either DVC Limited or Open; pros and cons of 9mm (because of my lack of experience I'm not sure how to ask the question) for major / minor?

I've got a birthday coming up and I can't decide between production to DVC limited or production to DVC open? And everything I shot now is either 9mm or .45

Well 9mm can only be loaded to Major in Open not Limited. If you want to go major in Ltd you have to shoot at least .40 in this gun. You could shoot minor in Ltd and score less points but have a couple more rounds in the mag...

Limited minor is not ideal due to the scoring disadvantage. I know, everyone says this and it is well known.

I would only go for the 9mm if i was only planning on shooting steel or 3 gun, with no chance ever of IPSC or USPSA.

I am only looking at the 9mm Limited..I shot limited major .40 for the midsummer and on a huntch I bought a 9mm to see if shooting minor would help or hurt me. Turns out I am a bit faster with it over my .40. YMMV

You would end up in a very small minority if you choose to stick with limited minor.

I am only looking at the 9mm Limited..I shot limited major .40 for the midsummer and on a huntch I bought a 9mm to see if shooting minor would help or hurt me. Turns out I am a bit faster with it over my .40. YMMV

Faster will only be a part of the equation. You would have to be fast enough to "outrun" scoring minor. I'm sure it is possible, but make sure you take all stage configurations into consideration when making this decision.

You would end up in a very small minority if you choose to stick with limited minor.

You'd end up both, in the minority using them, and you'll soon find yourself in the majority of those using them that wished they would have listened and bought a .40 for limited.

I also prefer 9mm over 40 in anything plastic or that I have to shoot factory ammo or isn't a competition specific gun. So am my carry, home, fun guns are all 9 because I choose to buy self defense loads.

We are playing a game, buy the gun that fits the game you want to play. What you're asking can be compared to a recreational golfer playing with one iron, one wood, and a putter. When they first start it doesn't really matter but very soon they will be equipment handicapped. Similarily, Tiger Woods (in his prime) could probably take 3 clubs and finish very high in a tournament and would crush the average person no matter what equipment they had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just saying that it worked for me, I'm having fun and taking 80-85% of the points currently and was only taking 70% prior to 9mm. Both are STIs so the caliber was the only change..i am assuming that alone is why I jumped in points..

Just saying that it worked for me, I'm having fun and taking 80-85% of the points currently and was only taking 70% prior to 9mm. Both are STIs so the caliber was the only change..i am assuming that alone is why I jumped in points..

That's awesome, and a huge difference, but dude you need take the credit for your improvement! Have you gone back now and shot the 40 to compare it to your current abilities with the 9? I would guess more likely you have also been improving or practicing more because mentally you believe you have to shoot more accurately with the 9? You have improved and it's not as caliber specific as you want to believe. Don't dismiss your development as a shooter and believe it was the gear that fixed it. A 9mm doesn't aim or pull its own trigger, so now go shoot your .40 KNOWING you are capable of shooting to that level of accuracy and speed and the caliber is totally irrelevant.

Typically gear can only be a limiting factor in our development, and when we see improvement it is us not the gear causing it. I would guess YOU have improved and you are handicapping your score by still using 9mm. You've likely learned to see what you need to see to have better points and you could have been just blasting at brown with the 40 because you mentally didn't think you had to aim as much (Been there done that...still there if I don't focus on shot calling) while shooting the 40 as you do with the 9 so the points suffer. I would bet if you go out have some fun and just shoot the 40 with the SAME MINDSET you will instantly increase your scores by another 3-7% just due to just shooting major.

Nice work

Hmm, good point. I hadn't tried the 40 since, just kinda benched it since I got the 9mm..and admittedly, I shoot the 9 knowing I had to be more accurate AND faster to overcome the points. I do enjoy the fact I have more rounds in the 9 than the 40..does make the difference on some stages between a single reload and a second reload at times..

Hmm, good point. I hadn't tried the 40 since, just kinda benched it since I got the 9mm..and admittedly, I shoot the 9 knowing I had to be more accurate AND faster to overcome the points. I do enjoy the fact I have more rounds in the 9 than the 40..does make the difference on some stages between a single reload and a second reload at times..

In limited the advantage you get with 9mm over .40 rarely if ever gives you an actual stage time advantage with time. 22 or 23? Vs 20 without moving, it just doesn't happen often of ever. With a big stick in open and 31 ish rounds it's a big potential difference maybe a couple times a season.