Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hodgdon Clays 230gr Coated double check

accu9

I was able to score a pound of unobtanium from a generous club shooter yesterday. My previous load has been a 230gr Bayou w/ 4.2gr Bullseye @ 1.250". Makes 170PF from my 5" 1911.

From the information I have compiled from this forum and others, people report making major with 3.6-3.9gr of Hodgdon Clays at roughly 1.250 OAL.

What are/ were you all making major with?

A lot depends on the gun. With a Speer 230 LRN (swaged bullet) I was getting 760 fps from a 4.5 inch M&P with 3.8 grains. 3.6 grains got me about 725 fps. My suggestion would be to start at 3.6 -- chrono-- and go from there. Clays is sweet with lead in a .45 ACP!

4.2 grains at 1.250 oal got me 170 pf out of my Kimber 45.

interesting, just 3.6gr under a 230gr cast rn at 1.222" made 180 in my Kimber

I guess it make sense that Clays would be rally OAL sensitive, I'll bet ~3.2-3.4 at 1.2" would make major and be a really bunny fart :cheers:

I appreciate the responses! Looks like I'm going to start at 1.250 OAL- 3.6grains Of Clays and Chrono.

Once I establish a good major load at 1.250 I may try something along the lines of what kneelingatlas suggested. Shorter OAL with corresponding reduced charge weight to get her real soft :)

I was chrono'd at a match in October here in PA, weather was nice maybe in the upper 60's. The chrono results were around 174PF for 3.7gr under a 230 Bayou. I don;t know the test gun, but I assume a 5" 1911.

The 3.7 isn't 100%, could be 0.1 more as well since I don't weigh every load.

My standard 45 ACP load is any steel pin cleaned case, well seated Federal match primers, 230 gr Berry's bullet seated to 1.250 over 4.1 gr of Clays. Same load chrono graphed at 172PF from my 4" barreled S&W 625 at the 2010 USPSA Florida State Championship. Never clocked it from my 1911(s). I can run the entire match without ever touching a cleaning brush.

When I use 230g LRN I load them close to the shoulder which typically gives me an OAL of 1.225" to 1.235".

If you use that OAL, I suspect you can make 740 FPS (PF of 170) with 3.6g to 3.9g of Clays out of a 1911.

Edited by himurax13