Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suppressor Help

RangerTrace

Sorry guys, I know the answer probably already lies somewhere on this Forum, but I'm pressed for time. I'm a lefty and our Suppressed Bushmaster AR's nearly choke me out with the gas. They do not have an adjustable gas block. A company has offered to build me a lefty upper that will accept the can. Someone told me the majority of the gas come through the charging handle rather than the ejection port. Is that true? While I appreciate these guys trying to help me, if the left side ejection really won't help, then I don't want them to waste their time.

On another note, do any of you know if a suppressed 9mm AR puts out enough gas to matter which side it effects from?

Thanks for the help!!

Trace

The gas volume on a 9mm is significantly less. It's also a blowback so it's not coming through the gas port and into the BCG. I've never had an issue with gas from a 9mm.

First thing I would try is a PRI Gasbuster charging handle. If that doesn't work, you can do the lefty version. Not sure about the left side ejection helping at all. I've shot mine left and right and it sucks both ways. I like the idea of an adjustable gas block though. The suppressor significantly increases back pressure and dwell time. You don't need as much gas pumping through the system as you do unsuppressed. If you run it with a can all the time, dial the gas down and it will reduce some of the cloud of eye watering gas.

Trace , it is true that you get a lot of gas from the charge handle, but the port is in your face. You get so much back pressure from the can, it would be very tough on a lefty. The adjustable gas blocks would help, but if this is a work gun, I would consider a Adams Arms piston kit. I put the kit on my rifle and not only did it clean up the internals and it runs cooler, but the reliability increased. I am not a big piston fan, but on a suppressed rifle, it is a great way to go. My suppressed 9mm blew gas as well, but to a lesser degree.

No gas from my 9mm AR when suppressed, like Chuck says, blowback, so no gas in the action. I know others have had luck with silicone caulk around the charging handle, I think Kurt may have detailed it out in a thread once, can't remember what thread or when. Shoot him a PM.

Colt Commando in 9mm is gold standard- ditto on the PRI Gasbuster. Goggles and Oakley Half Jackets help cause they seal the cheek -that's for eyes. You're still gonna get a mustache. Could wear a shemagh or Nomex balaclava-don't know if thats ok for your work situation. Doesn't matter where port is. Your armorer should have tuned these up-you have to do it yourself?

Colt Commando in 9mm is gold standard- ditto on the PRI Gasbuster. Goggles and Oakley Half Jackets help cause they seal the cheek -that's for eyes. You're still gonna get a mustache. Could wear a shemagh or Nomex balaclava-don't know if thats ok for your work situation. Doesn't matter where port is. Your armorer should have tuned these up-you have to do it yourself?

Please keep in mind there is a difference between work and personal guns.

Trace,

The PRI Gasbuster will mitigate the direct gas that flows past the stock charging handle, but it is designed to dump the gas out to the right side of the rifle. It would probably make your problem worse since that is the side of the gun that you are on. The only way that I know of to reduce the amount that you are getting now is to use a lefty upper so the gas coming out of the port is away from you.

Kuan

Picture of m84 attached

post-20753-0-51830600-1421375663_thumb.p

Edited by ShootfastRunfaster

Please keep in mind there is a difference between work and personal guns.

My bad, I thought this was a work gun shooting full auto.

Trace,

The PRI Gasbuster will mitigate the direct gas that flows past the stock charging handle, but it is designed to dump the gas out to the right side of the rifle. It would probably make your problem worse since that is the side of the gun that you are on. The only way that I know of to reduce the amount that you are getting now is to use a lefty upper so the gas coming out of the port is away from you.

Kuan

Picture of m84 attached

Thanks Brother!! Come see me!

Sir,

You don't need anyone to build you a special lefty suppressor ready rifle. You just need a lefty upper group and then you put the can on it or put the QD mount on the rifle. I have a few cans. I tried to run a YHM on a 11.5 .223 with piston; that did not work as gas was coming back down the barrel and the thing was choking. .223 can on 11.5 with DI gas not an issue but there is plenty of gas. I used some silicon around the back of the charging handle. I don't have an ADJ gas block on this rifle and the upper is a BCM. I have run the YHM on a 12.5 DI .223 upper with silicon on the CH. You are going to get gas and a dirty gun with most combinations of cans and guns, some cans are better then others at gas blowing back. I also ran a 5.5" 9mm AR with Gemtech can for a little while. No real issues with gas but the gun w. suppressor did not shoot well and the gun broke both my trigger pins (standard) in short order.

Start off by hitting the charge handle with some RTV. That simple and cheap addition might be all the help you need. I only have one PRI gas buster and its on my OBR. For me the RTV works just as well.

I shot my 16 and 20 inch AR-15s with a can (SureFire Mini) all last season just because I could. I ran fine and I didnt have much gas in my face. When it got dirty, I just added more oil. Finally cleaned it after about 3,000 rounds.

I run an H2 buffer to slow bolt opening speed and a BCM charging handle. The BCM CH has a raised ridge on the back of the handle that seems to help deflect more gas than a mildpec.

There is not nearly much gas back as I have noticed on some other AR's I shot suppressed. I'm also running a .30 cal can. My upper has Rainier Match Series 10.5" barrel.

Edited by Dannybot

Please clarify whether your problem rifle is a 9mm (blow back) or .223/5.56 (gas operated). If a 9mm factory gun then it probably already has a gas shield (a semi-circular piece of plastic inserted in the ejection port), so a lefty upper will be only a marginal improvement. Also, a Gas Buster may not work with your 9mm bolt due to the difference in shape. I suggest you try the RTV sealant trick on your existing CH and call it good.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Please clarify whether your problem rifle is a 9mm (blow back) or .223/5.56 (gas operated). If a 9mm factory gun then it probably already has a gas shield (a semi-circular piece of plastic inserted in the ejection port), so a lefty upper will be only a marginal improvement. Also, a Gas Buster may not work with your 9mm bolt due to the difference in shape. I suggest you try the RTV sealant trick on your existing CH and call it good.

I shot a twin to my 9mm SBR last week and gas was not a problem. The issue is with my Issued Bushmaster and Gemtec can. They were retrofitted with cans and no adjustable gas block. The Larue .308s don't cause an issue with the Surefire cans.

Another option to try in addition to the silicon on the CH is to try one of Tubbs Carriwe weight systems. This will make the carrier heavier, should delay opening and, provided you must keep with a factory gun or parts on a duty rifle, cause less "issues".

• 1 month later...