Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to do with bad ammo?

DedOn

I have about 1000 rounds of poorly made 9mm reloads that a friend of mine bought at a gun show years ago. He gave them to me and I have hung on to them thinking the components were still good and could be used.

I recently picked up a 550 to start getting into reloading and started with 45 and 223, the rounds I shoot the most, but started thinking about all that bad ammo sitting there. I do have 9mm guns and will start reloading 9 next.

So the question is what to do with the complete cartridges? I believe they are left too long or there is the wrong bullets used. Should I pull the bullets and reuse the brass with primers already installed? Is the powder useless as I have no idea what it was loaded with?

As I said just getting into reloading so advice would be appreciated. I have been scouring the site for months now and have searched but couldn't find anything close to this.

Pull em, the powder is trash.

I pulled ~100 tonight and that was plenty for one sitting, it took about 40 min.

If you're interested, I would break them off a little at a time each reloading session: maybe pull 50 at the beginning and 50 at the end.

The 550 makes it easy to reload primed brass, so you're good there.

they are too long or wrong bullets used.

That's a big difference (too long or wrong bullets). :ph34r:

I'd pin down the problem before I made a decision.

Exactly how long are they?

If they're too long - it might be possible to shorten them

in your new press? Depends on how they're crimped.

What's wrong with the bullet? Diameter? Weight?

If they can't be used in 9mm, I wouldn't pull them and

use them again in another 9mm?

Possible they were "WRONG" for your friend's pistol, but

okay for yours?

Kneelingatlas gave some good advice - IFF you're going to

pull them and save the components - no need to pull them

all in one session.

Good luck with it :cheers:

Just pull them, never use an unknown powder !!! As above, check out the bullets - use if good - pull the decapping rod out of the size die and reload the primed cases. I'd try a few empty cases and make sure the primers function properly - go bang - before I'd load any.

If the rounds fit my case gauge, I save them and shoot them in a Ruger Blackhawk that's appropriate for the caliber.

If they don't fit the case gauge, I pull them apart on the spot. That way, there is no accumulation.

Thanks for all the replies, some good advice on here. I will get some pics of the ammo on here tonight when i get home from work.. I wish I had more answers as to why they wont cycle properly. They will chamber and fire as far as I remember, they just wont feed right. The bullets that were used are plated hollow points as far as I can tell, which have a very steep shoulder on them and look to be left long. I haven't had a chance to even measure them as it just occurred to me last night as I was laying down to bed. Like I said I have just been getting into reloading and have gathered a whole lot more knowledge recently much in thanks to this wonderful forum and all the very knowledgeable members that are most generously sharing that knowledge with the rest of us. :bow:

I was going to pick up a collet puller anyways, so I guess I'll go that route and check them out as I pull them.

I was going to pick up a collet puller anyways, so I guess I'll go that route and check them out as I pull them.

Collet puller is the way to go. I prefer the Hornady cam lock style - pulled about 100 38 short colts in 15 mins the other day - they were loaded with 3.4 GR Titegroup and 158 Gr Berry RN loaded at about 1.140. Quickload showed the pressure at about 110,000, which is probably ballpark since they blew apart the 627 of the guy I got them from.

If the rounds fit my case gauge, I save them and shoot them in a Ruger Blackhawk that's appropriate for the caliber.

If they don't fit the case gauge, I pull them apart on the spot. That way, there is no accumulation.

This is not the recommended procedure. Guess you've never heard of a double or triple charge with a very fast powder? You are playing with fire...

Looks like 3 or 4 different bullets, each requiring

a different (probably) OAL.

And, I think I see 3 different OAL's.

If they "chamber and fire" properly, not sure why

they won't feed. Seems to be an entirely different

problem, to me. Springs, underpowered, mags,

etc etc etc???

I wouldn't start pulling them yet.

Are any of the bullets feeding? Which do you

have the most of? I'd try to get them feeding

and shooting properly.

Does factory ammo or your new reloads work?

I wouldn't necessarily label them all as "BAD AMMO"

just yet.

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

That's a strange looking bullet profile... A huge hollow point with a long shoulder, 1.1" isn't too bad, but I bet those bullets would have to be seated to an inch or less to chamber in CZ. What types of 9mm pistols do you have?

You could seat them deeper to fit your chamber, but not knowing what powder or charge is inside I would use caution...

If I had those rounds and wasn't willing to shoot them up, I would pull them apart, save the primed cases, dump the powder, and give the bullets to a friend to use as feed stock for his bullet casting.

I just have a kinetic bullet puller and a 4x4 hardwood post to beat it on, but with the right technique, it's easy for me to pull 300+ rounds an hour, once I'm in Zen mode.

I just pulled 1800 rounds of a load I no longer use, salvaging everything: Primed cases with Federal primers, jacketed bullets at 12 cents each, and N320 powder, which at local gun shows is currently going for just under $40 a pound. For me it was worth the five and a half hours (in three sessions) to get $350 worth of reusable components,, especially since they are my favored ones. Your situation is a bit diffferent so YMMV.

Edited by kevin c

Looks like 3 or 4 different bullets, each requiring

a different (probably) OAL. The pic with multiple bullets was to show them in comparison to some other 9mm (Honady, and some factory rman). All of the the funny looking hollow points are all within .02 hovering around 1.1

That's a strange looking bullet profile... A huge hollow point with a long shoulder, 1.1" isn't too bad, but I bet those bullets would have to be seated to an inch or less to chamber in CZ. What types of 9mm pistols do you have? I have an XD sub compact that eats everything but these.

You could seat them deeper to fit your chamber, but not knowing what powder or charge is inside I would use caution... I thought about seating them deeper so they feed but didnt want to run into compression issues not knowing what powder and how much of it there is. Maybe I'll pull a couple and see how much powder is in them and if there is room to seat deeper.

Yes these will seat if dropped into an open chamber and will go into battery with no problem. They seemed to fire alright too as far as I remember with a similar recoil impulse as other 9 so i'm sure the charge is within reason. It's really just the shape of the bullet that is not allowing it to cycle through a semi. We did try them in a couple other guns as well but it's been so long I can't remember what they were, but I know they wouldn't work in any gun, so I wrote them off as not good ammo.

I think the verdict is that I am going to pull a few of them and check them out a little further. Weight the powder, check how full the case is and if there's room I'll seat them down a little further and give them a shot. If that doesnt work pull the bullets and reuse the primered brass.

This is not the recommended procedure. Guess you've never heard of a double or triple charge with a very fast powder? You are playing with fire...

I thought we were talking about about questionable casings/messed up rounds, NOT questionable powder charges!

Of course I'm not a proponent of Russian Roulette!

If I misunderstood the content of the thread I apologize.