Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gold Team open gun .38 Super or 9mm?

mwc

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loaded 9.0grs....have not had a chance to make it out to the range. I know the V8 needs less powder than the gas guzzling V12...but going by some load data, 8.8 should be 1300fps,..I just assumed 9.0 would be up in the low 1340fps.

After playing around I settled on 8.4 gr of HS-6 behind the Zero 124 FMJ with a 10lb recoil spring. A fairly soft round without any pressure signs and comes in at 170pf in my V12. The dot tracks well and its super accurate. With the 10lb recoil spring it returns to the target real quick. I played around with auto comp and made major with 7.0 gr 168 pf but found it to be sharper and dot tracking was not as good. The dot would not come back down as easily and seemed to hang high. My silhouette load of 7.8 gr made major 167ish pf and tracked well and was equally as soft but the flattend primers turned me off of this powder. I ran it at a match this past weekend and it was very accurate and easy to shoot. THe only issue I encountered was an occassional spent case dropping back into the chamber area getting jammed between the slide and barrel hood with a half srtipped off round beneathe it. So the slide is going rearward enough to grab a new round but some how not ejecting the spent case clear of the gun. THis happened once in every 20 rounds or so with different magazines. I dont beleive this is caused from the load but rather a tuning problem I have to explore. The extractor seems to hold the round nice and tight and there has been no failure to feed so far so I am pretty sure its not the extractor. I did notice dents in the underside of my red dot mount where cases are hitting there. I might have cases bouncing back in from that contact. I need a high speed camera to see how it happens I suppose.

Yeah 10gn 3n38 will be probably the min load to make major in your super v8. I need a min of 10.2 in my v12 and 10.4 is my more comfortable load. The v8 shoots a little faster but not much. The barrels are basically the same with 8 holes. Just the 12 has extra holes in the comp. it's hoe close the first set of holes are to the chamber that robs velocity. In the 8 that's a slightly longer distance as it's based off the 4.75imch gun vs 4.5 for the 12.

Quick question fellas, not to derail the thread. I m just getting into open and thinking about picking up a 38super gold team. I have a large surplus of super comp brass and was wandering how well the gun shoots super comp brass or does the ejector need to be tuned? I've searched around enough to pick up that some gun brands shoot either or while other guns need to have the ejector tuned for it.

I used a 9mm slide with a 38 super barrel in my Y7 and it runs Supercomp like a raped ape :)

Yep that'd do it too. :)

Patriot: normally you just file a little of the 'foot'/'pad' or whatever it's called. That allows the tip/claw to go in a bit deeper.

Changing ectractir is a piece of cake. You could try a 9mm extractor.

But many of the 38 super gt's seem to be fine out of the box shooting sc.

• 8 months later...

Mine runs super and super comp with no extractor mods I stick to comp because it works on my same 9mm shell plate.

Vr4154 I don't think it's a problem with consistently making it. It just takes unpleasant loads to hit major with that many holes compared to other set ups.

Any updates on making a consistent PF on V12 barrel in 9mm? Really looking to get this in 9mm only if it can make PF/. Thanks for your help.

Several guys lean towards HS-6 and a 124gr RN, also Autocomp is popular too.

As Garmil stated these Tanfo open guns, with all the barrel ports, are a bit loud to shoot.

However if you feel that this platform fits the best in your hands, than yes you can make it work for you.