Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gold Team open gun .38 Super or 9mm?

mwc

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the frontiers do a 9mm 124gn rn in 356 they do offer a 124gn fp in 355. I slugged my tanfo barrel to determine which size I needed. To be fair I have only shot a sample of 100 xtremes. They were the 355 rn and groups opened way up. At the same time a bunch of guys I know tried some and a few of them had reduced accuracy too. Those pills measured with a mic came out at ,3545. Now to be fair I may have found better accuracy by changing crimp, powder charge/type or oal but since I had a solid recipe with the frontiers and price was the same I didn't investigate further. My personal experience only extends to my 3 tanfoglio barrels (2 in 38 super 1 in 9mm) but slugging them all got the same result. I've only used pills of 356 or 3565 and the odd 357 apart from one batch of those 355s.

As always slug your own barrel and try whatever projies are easy to get in regular supply for reasonable $. :)

Nice. It's a large frame btw. Came with the 'good' mags too. :)

I'd probably swap the mount though. Being upright without a blast shield it'll get hammered I think

If you want to stay upright ipscAlex makes a nice one and the factory tanfoglio mount is good too.

If you want a 90 mount try for a cheely setback or a daa/Quinn as a last resort.

These are fun guns to shoot. :)

So I'm having problems on my load using an xtreme 124gr HP with the AOL of 1.15. I notice that it doesn't fit the v12 barrel perfectly the bullet hits the trough grove. Do I need to do something with the barrel? Like to re-rim the barrel? Need help asap. It's an 9mm gold custom with a v12 barrel. Thanks in advanced!

So I'm having problems on my load using an xtreme 124gr HP with the AOL of 1.15. I notice that it doesn't fit the v12 barrel perfectly the bullet hits the trough grove. Do I need to do something with the barrel? Like to re-rim the barrel? Need help asap. It's an 9mm gold custom with a v12 barrel. Thanks in advanced!

Cool can you include the link (website) where I can get the mounts that you've mentioned.

Thanks

ok, definitely forget the buffer like atlas said. not needed. I go back and forth between using a sprinco and a henning guiderod. Sometimes I tihnk the sprinco is actually doing something. sometime I think it's all in my head. eric grauffel reccomends it if that means anything. :)

the mount you have looks like it could be an alex mount. is it 2 sided? if so, he may be able to sell you the replacement blast shield it's supposed to have: http://ipscalex.com/collections/pistol-accessories/products/c-more-mount-for-tanfoglio-pistols

otherwise if you want a different upright mount the stock tanfoglio mount has a built in blast shield and nice posts to locale the cmore. it's a good mount. can get it from eric's shop, or possibly from EAA.

if you want a 90 mount your optoins are a Double alpha: it's a great mount on an STI but on a tanfoglio it mounts the scope a bit too far forward. it's also a pain to adjust elevation as you have to remove the thumb rest every time to adjust it, in fact you have to for windage too as the windage lock screw is there. it's from here: http://www.doublealpha.biz/sights/mounts/quinn-mount-by-daa

The best 90 mount is a cheely custom setback 90 mount. it seems he has blanks now so perhaps can drill one in the tanfoglio pattern for you. You'd have to ask him: it's probably the best mount for a V12 who wants a 90/sideways mount. http://www.ccgunworks.com/store/shop/horizontal-setback-c-more-mount/

I have no idea who sells frontier in your area, but there are other good plated bullets. Montana gold, rainer for 2. Frontier metal processing is the company who makes them in south africa. I'm sure if you emailed they'd give you US distributors. It looks like cabellas sell them and I'm sure there are other suppliers.

The frontiers are good as they are fairly hard (horrible for defence use, great for sporting shooting) and have a thicker plating than many CMJs. not quite jacketed thick but not the microns thin stuff. They are a nice bullet but there are others that will do the job equally as well.

Just like kneelingatlas in my open gun I only use RN. I have used SWC, FP and even an odd looking thing called a round nose wadcutter (aka speer point) and the odd conical too in my other CZs and tanfogs (CZ shadows, tanfoglio stock II) but in the eric custom I only shoot the 124gn RN.

One thing. You need to keep the feed ramp clean. Depending on what powder you're using it can get gunked up/coated with crud pretty fast.

You could possibly try a shorter OAL but being 9mm major that may not be an option (not sure if your load is already compressed).

I'd suggest the best long term solution is some 124gn RN CMJs regardless of brand (I do still prefer 356 but 355 might be worth at least a sample pack to try).

Ok I saw EG use halo point. But I just notice he is using 38 super not 9mm.

how accurate is the RN bullet?

Beerbaron I'll be starting with:

VV 3N37 7.0-7.4 with 124gr RN bullet. L

Auto comp 7.0-7.4 with 124gr RN bullet.

what recoil spring to use I have 3:

1. 12lbs

2. 10 lbs

3. Factory I think it's a 16 or 12lbs spring.

is this a good start to get data? Any advice will be much appreciated. Trying to finalize the load and Chrono by sat so I can use it for the match on Sunday.

basically I have an eric custom 2007 9mm with a v12 barrel.... thanks

The problem you are going to have is a 9mm Gold team is a fairly rare beast. There's heaps in 38 super, eric shoots a 9mm small frame in practice (or used to) but only loads it minor as he didn't think the 9mm GT in V12 would handle the major load... :)

So you are kind of a bit on your own.

All we can do is share a bit of experience with the 38 super versions and other experience with 9mm open guns.

I think either the 10 or 12lb spring will be fine. I used a 9 but found it a bit light. I now use a henning 10.75 and it seems to work well. Do not go too heavy. apparently one of the causes of barrel lug damage in these guns was people using too heavy recoil springs. I cannot confirm that myself (could be bullshit) but it's possible a heavy recoil spring may cause it to enter battery more aggressively. certainly they can put more strain on a slide stop. I'd say somewhere between 10 and 12lb is about right. try both. it's easy to swap.

I think you are on the right track. I would suggest fed small rifle primers (or other brand small rifle primers). I recently used fed small pistol having temporarily run out of small rifle and they are ok, but definitely showing some pressure signs.

My feeling is autocomp will be a good 9mm GT V12 powder and 3N37 'might' be good too.

OAL in this case I cannot really advise. It's going to be dictated by a couple of things:

how much powder is in the case? ie how compressed is the load.

length of the chamber/free bore (tanfogs are not as short as your typical CZ so you should be ok here)

mags, should be fine to load long since it's a large frame, providing the 9mm large frame mags don't have too big a spacer in them?.

I would suggest you will need to be loading at least 1.100 possibly around 1.150 would be a good length but these are just guesses. I'm not an expert but that's what I'd be trying. Load up a few dummies at different lengths (just need case and bullet, don't even bother with primer or powder) and firstly plunk test them in the barrel. If they pass the plunk test ok, then put them in the magazine and hand cycle them. Do they feed smoothly? If that's all good, note down that OAL, measure bullet length and case legth (well 19mm) and figure out how deep into the case that round is going. Charge a case with desired charge and see if your bullet base when seated is going to compress the load. Compressed loads are ok, but you need to be on top of pressure signs, signs of diminishing returns

You need to consider if you load too long there is not much neck holding the bullet and you'll need to watch for bullet setback under recoil in the magazines. When you've got your load worked up check it against a bench for setback. You should not be able to push the bullet in deeper just by pushing it against the bench.

There is no inherent accuracy issues with RN bullets. as with all guns and all loads it's a combination of brass, primer, powder, bullet, OAL, crimp etc interacting with that particular gun that provide an accurate load (or not!). I would agree taken on their own JHP's are an inherently accurate design. They are also popular as unlike RN FMJ's they don't have an exposed lead base. RN CMJ's don't have that problem. They have no exposed lead, feed better than JHP's and in a sport were reliability is #1 and accuracy is #2 (and a long way behind #1 in magnitudes of importance) I chose to shoot RN CMJs. cost is another issue. If I could chose any bullet I'd probably shoot a 121gn (I think they make a 121) hornady HAP. But they cost a bomb in my country and supply is patchy.

to sum up, yes RN are fine and with the right load plenty accurate.

You are going to be hard up against it to get your load sorted in time.

I'd suggest make up some loads as low as 7gn, but go up to something like 7.8gn (space allowing) just in case you get to your 7.4gn load and are not making power factor AND still have no pressure signs. in that case you can keep going up the scale and try the hotter ones. On the other hand if you get out to the range and shoot up to 7.2gn are a getting pressure signs by all means STOP and take home the higher loads, pull them and go back to the drawing board.

Do at least 10 rounds of each increment. consider setting up a target behind the chrono at 15 yards so you can get an idea of group size at the same time as you chrono (saves rounds). If you don't want to load up so many, perhaps go in .2gn increments or even .25gn.

Good luck. Have fun and for gods sake BE CAREFUL. :)

So this is what I got for eric gold custom open race gun with a V12 barrel 9mm. Load for 9mm major 124gr RN CMJ with powder VV 3n37 8.2gr with tulammo small riffle primer. Medium crimp. FPS 1349-1360 on a warm dry weather. In for a PF of 165.

Haven't tried auto comp and power pistol gun powder yet but will update next time.

Edited by marmarsamson