Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting empty mags to drop quicker on G34

1eyedfatman

I notice sometimes my empty mags don't drop as fast as I like and sometimes I really have to cant the pistol to mash on the mag release and work it out. When trying to shave a second or two off each stage, this gets to be annoying! I've read a couple of posts where some people sandpaper their mags, the inside of their grip/magwell or use some agent like amour all or silicon rag. I'm going to start off by testing each empty mag 1x1 (I have like 8) and see if there are any problem childs easily noticed. Then I'm going to try wiping them and the inside of the magwell/grip really good before the next practice match and see if that helps. If its still not good enough, I'm going to have to try the sandpaper or lube. Just to get a fresh perspective, what have some of you guys done recently? I wish I could just put a weight on the baseplate, but I'm like .42oz away from the limit in IDPA (SSP/Production pistol). If they would just add 1-2 more ounces to the rules!

I have a method where I flick my strong hand wrist while ejecting the magazine, normally that isn't needed though. I have often thought of polishing my mags, just been to lazy.

Another note, I heard Bob Vogel uses a 33rd mag spring in his 10 round mags.

I notice sometimes my empty mags don't drop as fast as I like and sometimes I really have to cant the pistol to mash on the mag release and work it out. When trying to shave a second or two off each stage, this gets to be annoying! I've read a couple of posts where some people sandpaper their mags, the inside of their grip/magwell or use some agent like amour all or silicon rag. I'm going to start off by testing each empty mag 1x1 (I have like 8) and see if there are any problem childs easily noticed. Then I'm going to try wiping them and the inside of the magwell/grip really good before the next practice match and see if that helps. If its still not good enough, I'm going to have to try the sandpaper or lube. Just to get a fresh perspective, what have some of you guys done recently? I wish I could just put a weight on the baseplate, but I'm like .42oz away from the limit in IDPA (SSP/Production pistol). If they would just add 1-2 more ounces to the rules!

The real issue here is the polymer frame/ polymer mag tolerance allowance... I did so many things to get mags to fall out of my old limited 35, it was insane. Sanding, polishing, different lubricants... One day I used my buddies mag while training, and it just fell right out!! So, I brought my gun to the gun store, and tested the brand new Glock mags until I found 5 that fell free with ease, it took 11 different mags to find the 'fab five'!!

I recently started using a new Glock 35, and it doesn't have this issue. However, I grabbed one of my old mags that used to haunt me, and it got caught up!

Basically, get new mags, test them first. You'll be fine!

Edited by DreGarciaTAT2

I have a method where I flick my strong hand wrist while ejecting the magazine, normally that isn't needed though. I have often thought of polishing my mags, just been to lazy.

I do something similar. I hit the mag release as I flick my wrist to angle the magwell towards the new mag, and that usually gets the spent mag out rather quickly. Edited by bulldog009

Yup, I'm with bulldog, always do the "wrist flick" throw the bottom to the right while hitting the mag release. Do it as your weak hand is going for a fresh magazine.

An object at rest stays at rest. It requires energy to get an object at rest moving. Your depending on gravity to pull something with relatively little mass. By adding a "wrist flick" you use centrifugal force to eject throw that sucker free. Adding a heavier base pad such as taylor freelance bling brass block floor plates might help a little to, if your willing to dish out that $15 each for an added .9 oz weight.

It's just a gun/mag combination. I have 4 G17's, a G34 and a G17L and about 40 original capacity and 15 or so plus 6 magazines. About a dozen just jump right out, others take a little flick, and some have to be ripped out. And the same mag acts differently in the different Glocks. For USPSA it doesn't much matter on a moving reload, but IDPA standing reloads could be a problem.

I don't think you can get a 33 round spring in a 10 round mag, I tried it with the plus 6 and it doesn't work.

Edited by 9x45

And those must be an absolute bear to load! Uplula for the win!

probably so, but i may have to try at least one, just so I know. His reasoning was so it helped keep the mag release in the up position because of his high grip. But logic tells me it is bound to help push the magazine out better too. I'm probably going to buy a 33 round spring one day and try it.

Vogel cuts coils off, mainly to help the slide lock work right with the high grip.

A glock 34 unloaded is 27oz, I think you're a ways to the 43oz IDPA rule. I would add some base pads and keep the mags clean. I notice after a few matches my mags feel sticky so I clean them and the magwell with winchester lube or RemOil whatever I have on hand really. Just wipe them down. I don't want to be in a habit of flicking my mag out because it takes time and extra movement on the reload.

Vogel cuts coils off, mainly to help the slide lock work right with the high grip.

A glock 34 unloaded is 27oz, I think you're a ways to the 43oz IDPA rule. I would add some base pads and keep the mags clean. I notice after a few matches my mags feel sticky so I clean them and the magwell with winchester lube or RemOil whatever I have on hand really. Just wipe them down. I don't want to be in a habit of flicking my mag out because it takes time and extra movement on the reload.

You are somewhat correct. I had USPSA and IDPA weight rules mixed. USPSA Prod I can only be 26oz+2oz total weight, or 28oz. In IDPA, I can tinker with the mag (base pad, etc), but I cannot exceed the original mag weight by 1oz. So, I guess I could get IDPA mags with a heavier base pad and be OK if I don't exceed 1 extra oz.

In "Glock in Competition" they advise against sandpaper, raises hairlike fibers causing more problems. I use Pledge wipes, a couple of bucks and they last almost a whole season. Oil collect dirt adding to the problem. Before the match I wipe down all of the mags and magwell, they drop out without a flick of the wrist. The other recommendations was to use an Exacto knife for any spurs on the mags. Good luck.

Spurs on mags especially at the front top of mag. Several of mine got pushed out at the top front(bullet end) making them drag. Glock armorer whipped out his knife & sliced the offending spur off. No more drag. No issues.

The notch in the magazine that the magazine catches on gets frayed if you shoot a lot-presuming the mags dropped free to begin with. So take an emery board, and carefully file off those plastic burrs. Never sand them, Armor All doesn't really help with the dropping mags issue. Agreed with getting mags to fit like DreGarcia suggested and cutting burrs like MiMiller suggested. Glock 34 mags should drop free straight down as soon as you hit the mag release. If you are flicking your wrist, the mags aren't really dropping. They need replacing or repairing the mag as above. There is a thread on here about Glock mags-the U vs the square vs. rounded metal insert at the top dating the mag. LEO Only mags and whatnot. The various things people have done over the years. Also, like Magpul mags-sometimes there is a bad batch of polymer and the mags swell with humidity or a lot of use. I picked up a Glock mag last Saturday for another shooter and it was LEO Registered with the U cutout and I said "this mag is older than I am" -he just laughed and nodded. Dropped free for him. Duty mags made for Austrian Army were meant to not drop free, cause snow. Or something like that. Since we are competition shooters we want out quickly. Can be pain to get a set that drop free. But worth it.

If youre willing to put in the time you can sand them but you need to go way beyond normal. Ive sanded mine with 400 grit then 1200 then finally 2000 grit. If you arent going to go to the extreme, i suggest no sanding. It will make them fuzzy & worse than before you started.

I tear them down after each match and clean them, rub a bit of frog lube on them and throw them in a ziplock. The night before I wipe them down with a clean micro fiber towel and reassemble for the match.

Since then no sticking mags and no resiue on them. Seen others spay quickdry spray wax,. pledge,wd40 all kinds of crazy stuff....just like gun lube,....to each their own,,,, whatever works.

Oh yeah and TTI basebads.....but even the ones with the pearce extensions (GLOCK : PG-GP) drop out like buttter,... And I bet they are close to .5oz but probably wont fit the box

Edited by Hallz

Is lead tape legal on the bottom of base pads as long as they don't violate weight rules and fit in the box? I haven't really read anyone say thing use a bit of lead tape to add a little drop weight. At least one could custom cut if your close to a weight limit.

Update: I tested all my mags and didn't find any problem childs…although I could see some mags with some contact wear in places. With a combination of 2 things, I was able to drop my mags easily tonight at the weekly Thursday night match.

1) Shift the grip slightly to allow my thumb to press the mag release with authority instead of just a reach (no flick).

2) Cleaned the inside of my grip/magwell and my mags with just a clean rag, then sprayed silicon on a cleaning swab and wiped down my mags with it and followed up with a dry swap.

Mags dropped like a 10lbs weight was tied to them! No more asking the SO how his family is doing while waiting for the mag drop.

Cleaning a glock? Sacrilege!

A few things I've had happen.

The fingers pressing on the other side of the mag release. It's the part that sticks out on the opposite side. Shifting the gun in the hand cleared that up. I also get more leverage on the button.

Worn or chewed up release, I could press it so far that the other side of the release caught the magazine. This started happening a day before a match probably because I was pressing harder because of nerves. $4 fix.

DNH

My first Shadow was bad for this. Before a match I'd clean the mag well really good with brake clean and spray my mags down with dry silicon lubricant and wipe with a paper towel. They always fell out like greased lightening after that. The mag flip takes time so I'd rather avoid it.

I read a tip in Robin Taylors book "Glocks in Competition" years ago.... after cleaning every few months I light spray the mag bodies down with

Sprayon MR 311 Dry Film Release Agent

about $9 a can, you can find it at a plastics fabrication supply store... works awesome and I'm still on the same can I bought years back.