Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinion on Bayou Bullets vs Xtreme bullets

leewongfei

I have had excellent results with the Bayou 124 TCG bullet. If your gun will feed this design vs the round nose I think you will be very pleased. I think its more about individual gun preference than one bullet being more accurate than the other. Both products have performed well in my Glocks

I've used both and continue to use both. I also like both bullet makes. I have found the Extremes to be accurate enough in my pistols for the typical IDPA ranges I shoot. Not super accurate and one must pay attention to crimp with the Extreme. I do have a new load that I will test for accuracy soon, using the 124gr. HPCB [heavy plate, concave base]. Also experimenting with some of the Bayou bullet offerings. I do like the Bayou 124 TCG.

But for the best accuracy so far in my pistols: Hornady 115 HAP, .355

Cut rifled barrels shear plated bullets and still cause lead issues. Coated bullets don't. I discovered this when sighting in my Open Glock from a bench. After 20 or so rounds there were little shards of copper plated lead in front of the gun.

Cut rifled barrels shear plated bullets and still cause lead issues. Coated bullets don't. I discovered this when sighting in my Open Glock from a bench. After 20 or so rounds there were little shards of copper plated lead in front of the gun.

Sounds like they may have been nicking the comp. It's at least worth verifying. I have picked up extremes from the range and the plating was not cut on them.

I have used both brands. The Bayou bullets are the better bullet. I have never had much luck accuracy wise with xtreme. lots of tumblers in 40. No issues with coated bullets. Adjusting the crimp has not helped with tumbling issues either.

Just talked with a buddy who has been using Extremes. He's been having tumbling issues also. He has checked the crimp and is satisfied. He is going to switch to Berrys. I asked him if was using Extreme's Heavy Plate bullet and he was not. My next sample will be 115gr Bayou Bullets.

Bayous are all I shoot anymore.

147 in 9mm

230 in 45ACP

No leading problems, no smoke hanging in the air and absolutely no problem with delivery.

You can load a coated bullet just like a plated one. So it really is a matter of preference.

I have had very good luck using Xtreme plated bullets in the 124 grain flat point. I use these for my monthly IDPA matches and I have found the accuracy to be excellent out of my Glock 34. I have also had good experiences with the Xtreme 147 grain plated bullets. I load both using Titegroup - 4.1 grains for the 124's and 3.2 grains witht the 147's. I have also found the Xtreme bullet has performed very well in 40 S&W as well.

Sounds like they may have been nicking the comp. It's at least worth verifying. I have picked up extremes from the range and the plating was not cut on them.

No, I don't use a comp on my Open Glock. Cut rifling barrels shear thru the thin plating. Shoot from a bench in front of white towel, you will see the chards.

Buy sample packs from each vendor and see. I did that when trying to decide between Bayou and Blue Bullets and found my guns prefer Bayou's so that's what I run in all of them now.

I grabbed a few samples from Bayou, too, and it looks like if I want to use Titegroup it's going to be an outdoor only proposition.

Bayous or any other coated bullet will out perform plated in my experience. I have gone through many thousand Xtreme bullets in 9 and 40 due to their generous prize table certificates. I was happy with them until I tried coated bullets. Coated was more accurate and required less powder to make power factor. For a while I was using coated for matches and Xtreme for practice. I sold off all my Xtreme bullets in the classifieds and have done to strictly coated bullets. Now I dont have to worry about match ammo versus practice ammo. If you are shooting open then plated bullets may work better for you, but there are many running coated bullets at high velocities.

I can't comment on Xtreme but back when I was testing bullets I found Bayou Bullets to be the winner for me.

Out of thousands of bullets I've only found one to be out of OD and didn't pass my chamber check. Don't recall the actual caliper reading but it wasn't much. That's why they all get chamber checked in the barrel it's intended to be shot from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Scott Steele

I've been very happy with Bayou's. 135s with 3.3 grains of TG gives me 980 fps out of a 5" 1911. I also use them in my 45's. I haven't found a bullet I like more, I also haven't found faster shipping or better customer service.