Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig 1911 for single stack

ejevans45

I'm considering a purchase for single stack and really like the Sig trading match elite 40. I have seen reviews on here going for and against the platform. My question is that the website lists the gun at 41.6 but after you add a magwell and other accessories will it make weight?

Also any reason not to get the Sig?

Good guns for the money. The only gun at that price point where front strap checkering is standard. Some complain about the Series 80 FP safety, but it's easliy bypassed if you so desire. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Company has a stellar reputation for accuracy, reliability and quality.

That said, I don't own any Sig pistols. Not for any reason, other than I live in California and getting anything interesting is forbidden here.

Holster compatibility is nowhere near what you'd get for a normal 1911 -- the slide profile is mega chunky.

I have one. If you get along with the sights you'll probably do well. Mine was (is?) really picky on ammo, so if you expect it to run wadcutters out of the box, you will be disappointed.

I'm not sure those actually exist (edit- search on gunbroker has one). Their website has said that the .40 versions are available for going on 2 years..and I guess they finally are...

btw, the Traditional Match Elite has the traditional 1911 slide.. so it would fit normal holsters..

The holster issue was a consideration with the other Sig 1911 models. Ammo compatability is an issue I'm worried about . Don't really want to load 2 different lengths for my daughter's M&p and The 1911. Might not have a choice.

I would not recommend the Sig "traditional" 1911 pistols. The slide to frame fit on every one I've handled was sloppy.

On the other hand, I own a Sig 1911 Tacops from the Custom Shop. this is the original Tacops with the Sig styled slide. After 3 years of heavy use, the slide is still considerably tighter than on a brand new traditional model. The Sig holster works as well as a Blackhawk if you use it on a 2" belt. If thinner you'll have to devise a way to fill in the lower portion of the loop so the holster stays put.

I had always been told Sig 1911s were picky eaters. Using a 14lb recoil spring any 200gr and 230gr bullets I've shot worked well. So does hardball. My pistol does not care for 185gr bullets (accuracy) unless it is the Nosler 185gr JHP match bullet. Interestingly, it runs Penn Bullet's 152gr LSWC okay. I load LTC bullets and the Nosler to 1.200" OAL and SWC bullets to 1.240" and everything feeds fine.

Own two SIG 1911's use them both for SS and have checked weight several times at several different matches and never an issue with magwell added etc.

Sights are fine especially if you put a dawson FO frt that is .090 or .100 on the pistol.

Mine have run every bullet pretty much out of the box

Checkered frt strap

Great CS if needed

I like the smaller safeties but if you don't they are easily changed

Great choice

I trust my life to my tacops. I run a duty rig from g-code that fits beautifully. My only gripe is that they don't offer a good solution for rail mounted light bearing rigs. The gun runs like a honda. In around 10k rounds I have had precisely 1 stoppage...a stovepipe with a reload on a wet day during a training exercise. The gun has otherwise delivered usp like reliability and accuracy. It's the only gun I own I have never found dissapointing.

The oem checkmate mags are quite reliable, but I prefer the Wilson's for the way they feel when they get dirty. The thumb safety is a bit too small, but robust. The mag well is just ok and could use blending. The oem sights aren't impressive, but a call to 10-8 will fix that.

Buy it and enjoy it. They are a steal.

Have several Sig 1911s (Elite, RCS, Ulta). As mentioned, the slide to frame fit is very loose which I don't like for a competition gun. Lots of features for the price and Sig customer service is pretty good from my experience.

I have a Sig Tac Ops that I put a 10-8 rear and Dawson FO front sight on. The gun does have a little play between the slide and frame compared to my STI Edge but it does not seem to hurt anything. The gun can still shoot better groups than I can. I think they are very good gun for the money and mine has been good with anything I have loaded for it. I have had FTFs with 200 SWC using Wilson mags but the Sig mags fed them fine.

Thanks for all the advise. I went to the LG today to see what's new and found a used Springfield stainless loaded in .40 Cal and couldn't resist. I know they stopped making them in .40 a while ago so I figured it was meant for me to take home.

Now to the Web to order all of the accessories!