Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Toyota Tacoma - Opinions

Looking to purchase a new truck in the next several months and am considering the Toyota Tacoma. Never owned one, but they seem to be fairly reliable with decent fuel economy and excellent re-sale value. I'm leaning toward a 4x4, 4.0L, Double Cab and would like to hear your opinions on the Tacoma - good, bad, or ugly.

Thanks,

Doug

Had both the Tacoma and the Tundra in the last couple of months, both in DC. I ended up staying with the Tundra DC because the interior space was better as well as the size of the bed. I prefer the big V8 as well. I'm more of a "what if" kind of shopper so the idea that I may buy a boat, or want to put a couple of bikes in the back, or move, all came to mind. The MPG between the Tundra DC and the Tacoma DC wasn't much different so there really wasn't much else to consider in buying the Tundra. That said, you can't go wrong with any Toyota truck. The quality is amazing and if you look at the resale values of 10 year old Toyota Tacoma's you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I own a 2007 Tacoma 4.0L 4x4 DC, bought it brand new. If you prefer a bigger truck than of course go with the Tundra. I love my Tacoma even after 274*** trouble free miles. 95% of my driving is highway and I routinely get 22 MPG, have gotten up to 24 MPG. Realize that is with Cruise set to 60mph (no hurry to get into work, it's an hour drive, what is 10 extra mins)

You can't go wrong.

Good luck

'08 Tacoma Double Cab 4X4 here. Its my 3rd Toyota but unsure if there will be a #4. Drives fine, the 4.0L engine is probably their best V6 (the 3.0 in the old T-100's was horrible), interior is fine. But the issue I have with mine is I've had to rebuild the front and rear suspension on my '08 to get rid of the soft squishy rolly ride.

When it was new even with only 400-500 lbs in the bed the rear suspension bottomed out when you hit a bump. Did the TSB that Toyota offered to convert the OEM 3-leaf rear suspension to 4 leaf. Kind of was OK but it was still soft if you put anything in the back. I think the Taco's suspension was designed for people who don't regularly put anything in the bed. Finally I added a leaf spring and overload springs to get the rear the way I wanted (I sometimes tow a trailer).

The front suspension was pretty soft and rolled too much when going around corners. Heavier duty coil-over springs helped, as did better shocks front and back. Also ended up ditching the stock air intake and exhaust for a cold-air intake and Borla Cat-back exhaust. Made for much better throttle response, bhp, and even got a couple mpg gain.

But aside from the weak-ass OEM suspension, I've been happy with the Taco. I've been a mid-sized truck person for a long time, though I miss the size of the old T-100 or the Dodge Dakota. I was leaning towards a Tundra but then they went fullsize. I think if I was looking for a new truck right now I'd probably look at the Nissan Titan to be honest instead of a Taco.

I have a DC long bed 06 85k miles, I don't think I will ever sell it. It 8 years old and worth 8k less that the original sticker price. I would highly suggest the long bed if you have aspirations of using it for anything other than holding a range bag. The short bed is just too short in my opinion. From a percentage standpoint they hold their value better that the tundras. Look at some used of both that are the same age and they will be selling for close to the same price but the tundra sticker is a lot more. This is at least the case in CO I'm not sure about other area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an 06. It's had too many recalls and issues to really keep track of and that has tainted my opinion of the truck. I wouldn't buy another. Your buying an 9 year newer truck so you shouldn't have the issues I had.

Probably the biggest thing to be aware of is road noise and ride quality. If you have ever driven a full size American truck it is going to take a lot of getting used to.

You are also buying a near end of life model. There will soon be a new generation truck out so make sure that you don't mind that. I would personally check out the new Colorado/Cannon truck before buying the Toyota.

Edited by L3324temp

^whatever, had an 05 and only had one issue in seven years (overhead compass light) . Recalls don't leave you stranded on the side of the road, my brand new $60k ford has already been to the dealer 5 times, 3 of which required the truck to be flat bedded to the dealer. A Toyota on its worse day, is probably better than any US produced truck on its best day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I had to have one now I'd lease 2-3 years.

With the new Colorado the scuttlebutt says there will be a newly redesigned Tacoma and Frontier. After the initial MY of the redesign, I'd consider buying one then.

If I had to buy one now with my own money... I'd buy the Frontier. The street price of the Frontier with the incentives is much cheaper than the Tacoma in my area. The Tacoma rarely has incentives.

Use True Car to get an idea of the street prices in your area:

https://www.truecar.com/#/

Owned three different generations of Tacomas. Current one is a 2010 DoubleCab 4x4 TRD off road. The quality of the Tacoma has suffered over the past 8+ years and only in the last 3 have they addressed most of the "popular" ones. Previous posts have already shared some.

My personal "gripe": More than some but not as many as "many" Tacomas suffer from pre-ignition or knocking, depends on who you talk to. In short, engine under load( hauling, or accelerating) exhibit pings/knocks if the rpms are somewhere around 1500. Toyota is aware of the problem. Solution: running 91+ octane quiets it down a bit but does not get rid of it. I am told 2013+ Tacomas can be "fixed" with a software upgrade. Unfortunately, mine does not qualify.

If I had to do it all over again, I would get a Tundra or F-150. Tacoma are "fun" but ... they have their share of issues. I have too much vested in mine and will keep it for as long as it runs.

Good luck.

I guess I should add that I did have the TSB done on the rear springs, and I added 1.75" of lift to the front with billstein shocks which totally change the rife for the better and made off road performance far better. At 220 for shocks I didn't consider it a huge deal and got additional wheel clearance which I was after. Road noise is there as well but I have mud tires on it so I don't know how much they are amplifying the situation.

At the end of the day the Tacoma is light on frills but will run forever truck while holding it's value better than any other truck outside of some diesels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big thanks to all for the great insights and opinions about the Tacoma. Lots of good info to process and think about. Particularly appreciate the discussions on bed-length (I was considering a short-bed, but now may reconsider), suspension issues, and some that experience engine knocking. Also some very sound arguments for looking at other models that I hadn't considered. A bunch of info to process and continue researching, but please feel free to continue the discussion. I'm picking up valuable insights with every post!

Doug

I went with the 6' bed with my double cab for the extra cargo space, plus I can sleep in the back (I have a canopy on mine). 3 guys and all their gear going to an Area match can pretty much fill up the bed. I'd say 2 people max for a 3-gun match...

I haven't had the engine knocking with my '08 and pretty much all I run is 87 octane.

IMO, the 4.0 engine is the Taco's best selling point. The suspension is probably its worst but if you're into wrenching on your own vehicles this is not a huge deal. I knew going into it I was going to have to do some mods, it was just a question of which ones.

I think it all depends on what size truck you're looking for. If you want a small one the Taco IMO is the best of the available offerings. For a work truck its on the small end, which is why I suggested the Nissan Titan for a better mid-size just short of going full size. I hear the new Chevy Colorado is supposed to come with a diesel when ever it is released.

On the other hand, my wife wants to get a high roof Sprinter van and convert it into a mobile dog kennel / RV for her out of town dog agility trials. Having test driven them I was rather impressed. Might have to put dog sponsor stickers on one side and shooting stickers on the other...

I have a 2013 Taco and can't complain. I had a 2006 dodge Ram Laramie edition. My lesson from that was I bought it for 33k and it was worth 14k when I sold it with 100k on it. Same year Tacoma with 100k were selling for 18k easily.

The kick in the teeth was tacomas were cheaper new then too.

Resale is king. If you ever get in a wreck and insurance totals it, it'd be nice to have options again for a new vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, since this post I got 3 recall notices.

One for frame rot asking me to bring it in for rust preventive to be applied to key areas.

One for seatbelt tensioners needing to be secured.

One for a broken leaf spring possibly puncturing my gas tank, parts for repair pending.

Not joking...

Edited by L3324temp

A Toyota on its worse day, is probably better than any US produced truck on its best day.

I believe the Toyota trucks sold in the US are produced in the US.

My last two Taco's (09 & 13) were assembled in Mexico, check your VIN if the first number = 3 then Mexico. Have been tempted lately to get a full size Tundra but the hit on fuel mileage with the 5.7L is substantial and parking is well, like parking the Exon Valdez...... The only issues I have ever had is a blower motor on the 09 at 90k miles that started making noise. Normally I get 18mpg if I'm cruising 80-85 on the turnpike, 20 if I have to go the speed limit. Mine is a keeper.

Just an update, since this post I got 3 recall notices.

One for frame rot asking me to bring it in for rust preventive to be applied to key areas.

One for seatbelt tensioners needing to be secured.

One for a broken leaf spring possibly puncturing my gas tank, parts for repair pending.

Not joking...

Yet another reason to live down south. The undercarriage on my 06 Tundra looks like it just rolled out of the factory. Frame recall is only in rust belt states.

I've never owned a Tacoma but have used them extensively for work, and under conditions I can almost guarantee you'll never expose yours to. I'd have bought a Tacoma if I hadn't needed a full size truck without hesitation. Since I needed a full size though I got a Tundra (new in 2008). As for Toyota resale, all vehicles are going to suck on the resale market to some degree, some just worse than others. I sold the 08 Tundra with 77k on the odometer in 2012 for $22,000.

• 4 weeks later...

IMG_0523_zps1e826637.jpg

I have an '08 with 61k on it. It was replaced by a Mazda 3 as my DD. It has been trouble free, but is starting to show all the trail time and water crossings with some binding in the front diff and release bearing problems in the 6spd. Other than that, it has been fine. My suspension is completely redone to increase capacities the front to handle the 300lbs of ARB, winch, and now lights. I also had to find old pattern wheels with less backspace to handle the 255/85 (33") tires.

I get some slight knocking in cold weather under load. It's a loud motor, with a lot of clatter from the timing chain and lifters.

The 6 spd (RA60?) manual trans on these trucks is awful. The steel release bearing rides on an aluminum pilot shaft that is structurally part of the bell housing. Cost to replace when it goes out (and it will) is $1500-2000 from a dealer. Mine is dying and I am redoing it this spring with a URD sleeve and bearing kit.

Mine is actually an Ohio truck, but I have no signs of corrosion. Fluid film is what you want.

Don't get the wrong idea from the above- I still think it is the best in the market segment. If you're buying for mileage, ride, or comfort, one of the new eco-full size trucks might be a better bet. If you want a simpler more trail capable rig, get the Taco or Frontier.