Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ TS mags not dropping

m1agirl

I've had an issue for awhile with my mags not wanting to drop free, which is a pain when running a match and having to pull your mag out to reload. I have this issue with every mag, including my new 10 rounder. Any advice on how to fix this problem?

Thanks

It could also be your mag brake or button. Try removing your mag brake and see if it happens. As far as the button, I've had to remove some material because I would press too hard and the back side of the button would press against the magazine.

I have no experience with 10 rounders but my full capacity mags have gone from drop free to not so drop free over time. It was never an issue with the mag brake for me. My mags just got out of spec over time.

My mags tend to get wider at the mag catch hole and that is what caused them to not drop free.

The two most extreme/finiky mags would measure .870 X 1.275 in the area of the mag catch hole. The other was .868 x 1.272.

My other six mags would be somewhere in between those dimensions.

I resized my mags in a vise with non marring jaws. Usually the smaller measurement was around .876 before I squeesed on it. The more you squeeze to make one dimension smaller, the bigger you will make the other one. It takes a little trial and error to find what works for each tube.

I have this problem with hi cap mags and the 10 rounder. If i remember correctly, I've only had one mag actually work and now none work. I've thought about trying to add some sort of weight to the bottom of the mag to see if that would work, but I'm not sure. Mine are stock setup, haven't done anything to them. I have different grips, and I've tried with no grips and they still won't drop. I've also taken out the mag break and have had no luck. Has anybody tried the flatter mag break from cz custom, and had luck with it?

I had the same problem with the factory followers. As they get older they have a tendency to cock to one side. Mine cock so that the high side is even higher. Once they get high enough, the mag will not drop free when empty. However, it will drop free if there is still a round in it. So it is definitely a follower problem. Changing the spring and follower to the CZC unit with 10-coil spring solves the problem. All my mags have the CZC extended base pad. I'm not sure if that spring will work in the 17 round mags.

I had the same issue. Basically the mags warp a little around the mag catch holes. To fix, load your mags up to full capacity and squeeze them in a vice with wood blocks. Start with a little squeeze and apply more and more force until they drop free. Worked for me.

actually it depends. many are made that way, duty guns, mil guns. they have the mag brake protrude enough to stop a mag falling out in order for the user to retain the spent mag if required.

however, the competition oriented models (shadows, stock II's, whatever) all have a flat mag brake which from factory means the mags should drop out freely.

if your mags are hanging up it could be a number of things:

bent mag brake

grips screws too long and pushing against the mag brake

over-pressing on the mag release (trapping the mag)

high sport or burr somewhere on the mag or on the mag catch holes on the mag

grips soft/weak and putting pressure on the mag when you grip the gun tightly

grips too thick putting pressure on the mag even without you gripping the gun

burr on the mag catch

feed lips touching sear cage

feed lips touching slide stop notch

mag body itself out of spec (too wide, too long)

could be a combination of those. most of those things are easy to check and easy to fix too. :)

Had problems with my TS and found that the mag release spring was moving out from under the retaining screw and rubbing the front of the magazine. The radius in the pocket it sat in seemed large so I machined it flat and sharp and so far it seems cured. I believe that the spring had pressure on it from the radius in the pocket and as the gun was shot it slid out. Now it fits tightly and doesn't migrate. Yes, I know I voided the warranty but I don't care.

It might be your magazine release spring rubbing on the magazine. I have 3 Tactical Sports, and do my own work on them. Sometimes if your not watching when you tighten the mag release spring screw, it twists your mag release spring enough to rub the magazine.

• 7 years later...

I have a new .40 Ts 2.   Had issue with mags not dropping free, the mag release pushing into the mag well - took it out and filed it so that it does not extend into the mag well.   Started shooting it, all was working, then full/ partial mags would hang up about 2/3 out.   If they were empty, would fall free.     I called CZ today, was told all my mags need tuning?    I have 8 mags, that does not seem right?   I asked how the tune them, was told in a vice.   That the loaded mags can swell…..

8 mags doing this?  I this point thinking about sending the gun back.   Already had to fix the safety/ mag release/ and now this….  

Anyone had this issue - found a different fix?