Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shouldn't we be in Memphis

ChrisC

I think the revolver nationals should be a 3 day stand alone event

I would personally like that too, Jon. But realistically, it's probably not viable. We would get the 17 hardcore wheelgunners who shot the last 3-day revolver nationals (in Vegas) and maybe a few more because it would be a stand-alone event.

In order to attract a larger mix of shooters, including the international revolver guys and the GMs from other divisions who don't normally shoot revolver, somebody would need to put up real money and prizes like the Bianchi Cup, or the 3GN stuff that is all the craze right now. What if the USPSA National Revolver Champion were awarded $20,000, with appropriately scaled prize money for the top five or ten finishers, plus a meaningful prize table for everybody else? Jerry would be back. Rob would be there, too. Ricky and Sascha would fly in. Bjorn and Nils would dust off their wheels again. And Matt would actually practice.

Nobody in the revolver community would willingly miss a big event like that.

But it's just not going to happen the way things are currently structured, where we mostly shoot for plaques and door prizes and charity kudos. What we are doing now does not encourage real high-level competition.

I think it is inconsistent to recall the Memphis Charity Challenge, which drew in the hundreds as a stand alone event , and say that a stand alone match at the same venue and time would draw only 20 shooters if it was called the Revolver Nationals. That makes no sense to me.

What also doesn't make sense to me is to travel to, for me, a remote destination to shoot a one day match on a limited course that some, but not all, competitors had the opportunity to run the two days prior and call that the revolver national championship.

We can agree to disagree

There just aren't that many people who are interested in shooting a 3-day Revo Nats. We know that from past experience in Vegas, Tulsa, and Barry. Edited by Carmoney

The lack of enthusiasm after my last post is not encouraging.

Anyone interested?

Or not?

Would you come to a USPSA event that had something special for revolver shooters?

And what would it take to make you love the match and definitely attend?

Prize table?

Cash payout?

Lots of revolvers?

Revolver friendly stages?

Say it please.

Just give me a good match to attend, and barring conflicts I'll be there. I'll trust you to work out the details, just please make sure that there is ample (nice) hotel rooms available please.

I think the revolver nationals should be a 3 day stand alone event

I would personally like that too, Jon. But realistically, it's probably not viable. We would get the 17 hardcore wheelgunners who shot the last 3-day revolver nationals (in Vegas) and maybe a few more because it would be a stand-alone event.

In order to attract a larger mix of shooters, including the international revolver guys and the GMs from other divisions who don't normally shoot revolver, somebody would need to put up real money and prizes like the Bianchi Cup, or the 3GN stuff that is all the craze right now. What if the USPSA National Revolver Champion were awarded $20,000, with appropriately scaled prize money for the top five or ten finishers, plus a meaningful prize table for everybody else? Jerry would be back. Rob would be there, too. Ricky and Sascha would fly in. Bjorn and Nils would dust off their wheels again. And Matt would actually practice.

But it's just not going to happen the way things are currently structured, where we mostly shoot for plaques and door prizes and charity kudos. What we are doing now does not encourage real high-level competition.

I think it is inconsistent to recall the Memphis Charity Challenge, which drew in the hundreds as a stand alone event , and say that a stand alone match at the same venue and time would draw only 20 shooters if it was called the Revolver Nationals. That makes no sense to me.

What also doesn't make sense to me is to travel to, for me, a remote destination to shoot a one day match on a limited course that some, but not all, competitors had the opportunity to run the two days prior and call that the revolver national championship.

We can agree to disagree

There just aren't that many people who are interested in shooting a 3-day Revo Nats. We know that from past experience in Vegas, Tulsa, and Barry.

You are saying that people will not come to a 3 day match just because it is called the Nationals but will come to a Charity Challenge or other large match if is not called the Nationals? Maybe we need a poll: 1. Would you attend a 3 day revolver match 2. Would you not attend the same match if it were called the Nationals?

Making the Charity Classic when it existed the Revolver Nationals would have been the best solution. It drew more people than any other revolver match

MCCs were great matches, and attracted 60+ shooters, but the 3-day Nats never drew those numbers. You take it to a 3-day format and the number of people willing to commit to attending seems to drop off sharply.

I have mixed feelings about the current Nationals. And I agree that a single-day match is not the same as a multi-day championship. But the numbers are there, and it's hard to argue with the fact that we jumped from 17 to 115 shooters. It may have saved Revo as a distinct division.

Many people don't understand how precarious things had become in USPSA Revo. Many people in power would have been content to let us become extinct.

All I'm saying is we have an old jar of mustard and a poodle.... Oh wait wrong conversation.

The Memphis match was special. If we had it again and it drew at least 50 revolver shooters how could you not say it wouldn't be a success? I care more about good stages and good competition between friends than money or prize tables.

Agreed. It wasn't Memphis that made it special, nor was it the charity aspect. It was Sam Keen's effort in organizing and building those matches.

Time for some other folks to step up! It would be great to have a series of similar Revo-only matches around the country.

OK.

A two day match is what we have in mind for fall of 2015. The match will not be revolver only, but if I can see a way to make it as appealing as possible for revolvers I will do so.

What are the best features you can imagine for a match to produce a large revolver attendance?

If the magic can be described now I may be able to put it together.

Keep talking.

I really liked what Carmony did last summer with the Midwest ICORE regionals. One day we shot 10 stages with ICORE rules, the next day we shot the same stages with USPSA rules.

2 days, two big matches. It was fun shooting 38 on Saturday and 45 on Sunday.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=201762&hl=

$5 to shoot revolver, stages this month designed to be more revolver friendly,

in an attempt to draw some idpa/ I-core/coyboy shooters,

and only a handful of people registered to shoot revolver...

Bill might have played it wrong with all the discussion about making the match "8-round hostile" and all that stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

There is likely a big revolver event to come in Tennessee in 2015. Not in Memphis and not a revolver only event but it'll be big and fun and it'll be a treat to revolver shooters. More to come as it develops.

Wheel gunners make ready!

Where in TN?

There is likely a big revolver event to come in Tennessee in 2015. Not in Memphis and not a revolver only event but it'll be big and fun and it'll be a treat to revolver shooters. More to come as it develops.

Wheel gunners make ready!

Where in TN?

Near Nashville.

It seems like a number of people that shoot other divisions have revolver setups for steel. How do we get them out to shoot revolver?

I've often thought of running a "tournament"...where we shoot USPSA on one day and Steel Challenge on the next. (Staff could shoot USPSA on Friday...and break off and shoot SC on Sunday, since SC doesn't require as much staffing)

It seems like a number of people that shoot other divisions have revolver setups for steel. How do we get them out to shoot revolver?

I've often thought of running a "tournament"...where we shoot USPSA on one day and Steel Challenge on the next. (Staff could shoot USPSA on Friday...and break off and shoot SC on Sunday, since SC doesn't require as much staffing)

We had that same discussion last week at our calender planning meeting! It needs more discussion to iron out the details.

What if the USPSA National Revolver Champion were awarded $20,000, with appropriately scaled prize money for the top five or ten finishers, plus a meaningful prize table for everybody else? Jerry would be back. Rob would be there, too. Ricky and Sascha would fly in. Bjorn and Nils would dust off their wheels again. And Matt would actually practice.

Sounds good to me :goof::lol:;)

But to be realistic - I guess, our Revolver group is way to small for the big companies to spend money on.

To the idea of a tournament - we have this kind of tournament here in Switzerland, Austria and Germany called the "Top Wheelgunner Trophy". A series of Revolver only matches from Revo shooters for Revo shooters with a final for the best 30 shooters. Works quite good. Of course, also there we have ups and downs with more or less shooters. But basically, it works.

http://www.top-wheel-gunner.de/

But not to forget, distances here are much different compared to yours. There are usually no shooters from northern Germany. The longest trip, I made to a match of the TWT has been ~550km (single distance) by car (southern Germany to a match in Austria)..