Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot glass size

DRichardson

As a little background my first open gun had a standard up right cmore sight. When I was setting up my current open gun I put a sideways mount on it. I definitely like the sideways mount because the low sight axis makes swapping to iron sights easier and much less hold over on close targets.

Lately I have been getting interested in the smaller red dots. I have pretty much ruled out the RTS due to it currently having questionable reliability. The delta point looks good except that it has to be removed to change the battery and may require slight rezeroing. So that does it for the larger lens small red dots.

The one that looks sort of promising is the Redfield accelerator. So far I have found no bad reviews (although no reports of use on a major PF open gun either), the price is good, the battery can be changed without disturbing the sight, same mounting base pattern a a deltapoint/ j-point, and with leupold being a parent company it has a decent warranty. I have also had good luck with Redfield scopes on a few different rifles.

So does anyone have in first hand experience with the Redfield accelerator red dot?

Anyone who has gone from a full sized cmore to a smaller lens red dot are there any issues with the transition and what are the down sides?

Sorry for the long post,

Thanks,

I thought Leupold had redesigned the Deltapoints to have a top loading battery. Saw some reports from Shot Show 2014 with them calling it the Deltapoint 2. There are some youtube video's if you search for Deltapoint 2.

Edited by shotgunone

Deltapoint 2 was cancelled, looks like now deltapoint pro will be gen 2 of the one where you need to remove optic to replace battery. Nice thing though it does hold zero just fine when you do. Main disadvantage I see when going between cmore on open gun to deltapoint milled base on slide is simply that it is smaller glass, easier to lose dot / harder to pick up dot.

I have been getting interested in the smaller red dots.

are there issues with the transition and what are the down sides?

From your post, I'm under the impression that you're interested

in small dots for competition? Like USPSA/IPSC?

Can I ask what you see are the advantages?

I would think the disadvantage is fairly obvious.

I can't think of any advantage for competition???

I believe the only advantage I can think of would be

for non-competitive purposes. ??? :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

I tried the Deltapoint on an Arredondo frame mount. I think the dot was actually higher than with the Cmore. Plus the glass was smaller so all those disadvantages as mentioned. So far, I don't think there is anything better than the sideways Cmore. Not that it's perfect, but no one has made a better solution. RTS2 if it actually worked.

Hello: Use a standard C-More and buy a smaller dot module to try. Once you find it does not work as well as a larger dot you can sell the small dot module. You may also try taping off the C-More lens to change the way you are looking at the targets. Also shoot with both eyes open the world opens up when you learn that or at least it did for me. Thanks, Eric

I have run the std Cmore, but now I run the Delta w/3.5 moa dot for the last 2months. After a day of dry fire and range time the smaller glass it a non issue. ymmv. One of the best thing about the DP it's there no adjusting the dot just shoot, it's auto on and off. Works well. Cheers

Edited by a matt

Sorry I may not have been clear. I'm not looking for a smaller MOA dot. I'm looking at the smaller bodied red dot sights out there.

The only advantages I can really see is that I don't use a slide racker and that opens up the back of the gun as opposed to a sideways mount, unclutters the left side of the gun so the visual stays the same for transitioning both directions. I really don't think it would be any huge advantage or disadvantage either way. I like to experiment with things so I was just looking for others thoughts.

I used to have a sidways mounted Cmore. I got tired of having to take everything apart to clean my gun & dealing with batteries. I went to a dual illumination Trijicon RMR. I love it. I do not have batteries to deal with and the brightness is auto adjusting depending on light conditions. Last week we had a stage at a local match where you started in the light & ended up in almost pitch black darkness. All the open guys had to turn their dot way down for the end targets but couldn't find it in the light. Mine was bright in the light & dim in the dark. That being said it did take a few weeks to get used to the smaller window. and the lower mount changed my NPOA a bit. It took some getting used to but I am fine with it now!! My only wish is that Trijicon would make it with a slightly bigger window. Dot tracking is no problem with the slide ride mount I have.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever experimented with putting a Rifle type dot sight on their open gun. One of the Trijicon RX34 has a 42mm window vs Cmore 29mm. Housing is same length but obviously going to be 13mm wider. Would that cause issue with brass ejection etc?

Edited by KOBGT

Personally I prefer the small glass lens on micros. Its easier to focus on the target. At speed the frame dissappears and only the dot is visible to my eyes.

Eta. If only they are as reliable as Cmore sliderides they are perfect for my IPSC games. So Im stuck w/ Sliderides for now.

Edited by BoyGlock

Sorry I may not have been clear. I'm not looking for a smaller MOA dot. I'm looking at the smaller bodied red dot sights out there.

The only advantages I can really see is that I don't use a slide racker and that opens up the back of the gun as opposed to a sideways mount, unclutters the left side of the gun so the visual stays the same for transitioning both directions. I really don't think it would be any huge advantage or disadvantage either way. I like to experiment with things so I was just looking for others thoughts.

Refer to them as MRDS (miniature red dot sight) and it might clear things up.

I like the DP but I plan on trying out the RTS2 soon.

I use to think 6.5 MOA was huge until I tried it. 6.5 inches at 100 yds; 3.25 at 50; 1.625 at 25; and under and inch at 12.5 yds. When I get to thinking about my group size, I'd be tickled to shoot a 1.5 inch group at 25 yrds, with open sights, all day long. So it already way more précises than I am.

• 1 month later...

Is a 3 moa dot that hard to pick up? I am hesitant to pick up a 6+ dot since they seem to take up a bunch of real estate in the lens. Then again I had been looking through an RMR on my brothers Sig. Would 4 MOA be a good compromise between size and speed?

Dot size choice really comes down to personal preference and distance you think your going to be shooting at the most. Right now I only shoot steel challenge and walls of steel. So I prefer a bigger dot because everything is close so I run a 12 moa dot. But I'm am going to get into uspsa this coming year so I will be experimenting with smaller dot modules to see what works best for me.

As for glass size I have shot both the cmore and the RMR and I prefer the cmore for competition. But once again it's personal preference.

I think the window on the RMR in combination with the 7.5 MOA dot causes for an extremely hard sight picture. I have been thinking the DP Pro with a 3.5 MOA. I think I'll start there. Worst case scenario it doesn't work and I'll throw it on my rifle as an offset mount. Thanks BurnedOut. GlockGuy, I agree with your assessment that it is situational. I shoot USPSA so I want the fastest most accurate dot/sight picture. Which CMORE are you using? I'm a ways away from purchasing an open gun so I'm in no rush. I can stick one on my CORE M&P for the time being to practice.