Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommend factory .223/5.56 for 3-gun that's affordable in bulk.

cheers623

Hey guys, I've been using Wolf for a long time for outdoor stuff/ 3-gun and not had problems. However, my local range has banned any steel-cased ammo. I'm looking to buy bulk in 1000 round cases. I've narrowed it down to American Eagle/Federal XM193 knock-offs, the Armscor 55gr 1000 round cases, or Wolf Gold 55gr stuff. Any preferences with regard to accuracy and consistency? I'll be using it in both 1/7 and 1/9 twist barrels. Also, where's yur preferred source?

I'll eventually reload it but right now, I'm swamped just reloading for 9, 40, and 45.

Thanks in advance

Cheers623

DVC

I think any of your above mentioned brands would do just fine for most 3g applications, don't forget PPU ammo (also the manufacturers of the wolf gold). I like Aimsurplus for no particular reason, good place to do business. Also Freedommunitions is a great place that does a lot for our sport. But why the steel case ban? I could see steel core but not steel case.

Edited by TonytheTiger

I have had excellent results from Grace Ammo's 55g load over the last two years. 1.25 moa out of multiple rifles, shot it at every match major and local for the last two years, from 1 to 550 yards, no FTN on rifle steel in that time.

Yes, I'm sponsored by Grace, but I only accepted the sponsorship after trying it out and getting good results.

I can get the same $ per lb at the scrapyard that Freedom will give me, without the shipping costs so it's more profitable to scrap it. Luckily I haven't done that yet because I have a buddy who hoards all things gun related, he gives me $4 per lb.

Out of my Wilson Combat 16" midlength gass barrel I've not seen much differnce between Wolf Gold and Fed XM-193. Wiht 20 shot groups both will deliver ~80%-90% into a 1.5 MOA group. Hornady Z-Max 55gr will put 20 out of 20 into a 1 MOA group but it costs 3x more, so....

Watch gunbot.net. Recenly found Wolf gold for $276/1k + shipping making it ~$295/1k delivered. XM-193 was runing ~$330/1k.

Edited by Rob Tompkins