Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun technique for speed

Well I don't hold it very tight, nor do I let it just sit there. I do place it against my shoulder to the point it won't slip off and then try to be neutral with any forward or back pressure. The tighter you are the slower you will be....for any of the 3.

Speed doesn't come from how loose or tight you hold the gun in your shoulder although it has effects on it. Speed comes through how well you can get target acquisition, proper sight alignment, and the mental process to know when to pull the trigger. Some people call it driving the gun as mentioned earlier. One thing that improves speed is having a shotgun that fits you comfortably. No two people are built alike so the manufacturers build to the avg.. For example, most shooters learn to shoot their platform through trial and error and the neck pays the price. Trap, sporting clays, and other shotgun sports figured this out a long time ago.

A race car driver doesn't grip the steering wheel until the cover comes loose, nor does he one hand gangster style drive. Solid, deliberate, in control.

Depends on the kind of race car, and how it is set up...

When I got the set-up right on a dirt track car, I could drive it with one finger. When I was running Comp Eliminator, I cracked a steering wheel I was gripping it so tight.

I think I will read Pat's article. :)

This is the topic of an article coming soon to 3GN magazine.

Im still trying to get through the one on stretching

Chris is the fitness dude...I got tasked with providing Gun Technique and Gear Review articles.

If i am standing and can see i am fit!

This is an interesting topic. I've never considered myself to be a fast shotgunner. I try to load the gun as fast as I can and load two makes it easier to keep it topped off, but mostly I focus on doing everything well. I shoot my sights and try not to miss too much. I keep seeing that video of Jerry flat burning down a string of clays at a 3GN match. I mean jaw dropping speed. I just can't even imagine being able to shoot that fast. In general, I agree with Kurt and Sterling, in that you have to shoot your sights, but some how guys like Pat, Jerry, Keith and a few select others (those were the ones that popped to mind) figured out how to break through the barrier and push their speed to a whole new level.

To some extent running a pump gun in heavy division hurts my speed. I sorta get into the timing of the pump action with the slightly slower splits. Then when I have my semi auto out, it takes me a few boxes to realize I can go faster. What I've been working on lately is how to get that pump running faster. I have to use mostly my upper body and strong hand to manage recoil, while keeping my week side loose enough to run the pump. If I get too tight with my pump arm, it slows down a bit. Some of the shotgun fit advice I got from Pat really helped there. My Nova doesn't move around in my pocket any more and the shorter LOP, helped to get the pump in a more complimentary location for quick cycling.

So while the OP is probably referring to autos, I have the same interest in learning how to squeeze out more speed from my pump gun. Just when I think I'm getting there, I see some vid of Pat Kelley, running his pump, and I realize I still have a thing or two to learn.

So a little background on my question. I tend to pull the gun in pretty hard and when I am trying to go fast I feel like I am waiting on my whole body and gun to return from recoil. The other day I was burning through a couple mags to function test after some work on the gun and I eased up on how I hold it and it seemed like whole the gun moved a little more in relation to me but the sight moved less and was back on target sooner.

I figured I would their the question out there before I burn a bunch of shells chasing something that may not be the best practice.

So what I do to help manage recoil and thus get my sights back on target quicker. If you role your shoulder forward it shifts your pocket onto the outside of your chest and over your pectoral and rib cage. This provides both a large flat surface for your butt pad to push against and the stoutest part of your upper body. Now tighten up your chest muscle behind the gun to give it a nice firm surface to push against. Bend your knees and lean is a little, getting your weight over your toes and fire your gun. Track the front sight like a pistol and see what it does. Once you establish the movement pattern of the muzzle, then try adjusting the gun and your muscles to adjust the pattern. This will provide both a flatter shooting gun and will force you to see the front sight better. The better you can track the sights the faster you will see the sights on target and will thus speed up. I only pull the shotgun in tight enough to maintain the good cheek weld and for the gun to not move around in the pocket. Likewise, I only tighten my arms enough to hold the gun in place. I suppose I tighten up my arms and wrists the same as when I shoot my pistol. When running my pump I have to loosen up my left arm a bit to operate the pump. I actually, developed this technique while trying to learn to shoot my 308 rifle really fast.

Disclaimer. I feel a little weird writing this because there are much better shotgun shooters out there than me. I'm certain there are others with better/more refined techniques. That is just what I have developed on my own.

So what I do to help manage recoil and thus get my sights back on target quicker. If you role your shoulder forward it shifts your pocket onto the outside of your chest and over your pectoral and rib cage. This provides both a large flat surface for your butt pad to push against and the stoutest part of your upper body. Now tighten up your chest muscle behind the gun to give it a nice firm surface to push against. Bend your knees and lean is a little, getting your weight over your toes and fire your gun. Track the front sight like a pistol and see what it does. Once you establish the movement pattern of the muzzle, then try adjusting the gun and your muscles to adjust the pattern. This will provide both a flatter shooting gun and will force you to see the front sight better. The better you can track the sights the faster you will see the sights on target and will thus speed up. I only pull the shotgun in tight enough to maintain the good cheek weld and for the gun to not move around in the pocket. Likewise, I only tighten my arms enough to hold the gun in place. I suppose I tighten up my arms and wrists the same as when I shoot my pistol. When running my pump I have to loosen up my left arm a bit to operate the pump. I actually, developed this technique while trying to learn to shoot my 308 rifle really fast.

Disclaimer. I feel a little weird writing this because there are much better shotgun shooters out there than me. I'm certain there are others with better/more refined techniques. That is just what I have developed on my own.

This. I'm 5'8 and 145lbs and shoot either an M2 or a Supernova. Its all about proper stance. With my stature I need to have a more aggressive stance whereas a larger person wouldn't have to stand as aggressively as I do. Grip is likea pistol. Firm with both hands but not a death grip. Even with the pump the gun still bounces a little of course, but the sights come back on target pretty quickly.

Also looking forward to Mr Kelley's article. Im super new so maybe Im wrong here but when I have my 1301 in hand Im not as concerned about recoil management .... in fact Ive never even considered it until reading this. Im more concerned w going 1:1 ESPECIALLY w slugs... I guess I would fall into the "neutral" category like Kurtm mentioned... take t w a grain (or cup) of salt though as Im the rookie/newbie/FNG :blush: