Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many Reloads for 8 Shot Minor

jeremy45

How many reloads are you guys carrying on your belt when using an 8- shooter?

I am looking at the NM moon clip holder and the 4 post @ 64 rounds seems like over kill to me. That's more than I carry in production but my first revo match won't be until december. Are you guys leaving a lot of moons on the ground with unfired ammo still in them?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Stage dependant of course, but it's rare too see someone with less than 7 on the belt at the start of a stage.

Its not as hard as it looks it use 6 moon clips on a long stage.

I can't speak for others, but I wear two posts behind my gun (Speed-e-Rack, and I'm a strong hand reloader) for initial loading and prone reloading. Don't use it often, or even put moons there all the time, but it's nice to know I have extra space it if I needed it.

That and I've seen 60 round field courses in my area, and too many rounds is never enough.

Jeremy if you start shooting ICORE it isn't uncommon to see higher round count stages, but everything is in 6 shot arrays, and live rounds get dumped all the time.

I use a 5 post North Mountain moonclip holder, so I have 10 moonclips on my belt when I come up to the line. (80 rounds total)

For the 8 shot I never use all 10 moonclips of course in USPSA, but I use the same belt rig for both ICORE and when I use my 6 shot revolvers.

We seldom exceed a 32 round count per stage. And I usually only have six loaded moon clips on my belt (a James Austin moon clip server.)

Not a bad idea to have two or three (or more) additional individual moon clip carriers on one's belt for those "just in case" moments or higher round count stages.

Thanks for all the input guys!! I think I will go with a 4 post setup for the front and a single post to go behind the hip. This will make it easy to reload if I end up in a low position and let me carry up to 10 moons when necessary.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

Even in Production, I carry 5 mags on the belt and the one in the gun. Every time. It's not about needing 61 rounds. It's about having enough mags (moons) in case you fumble or tumble.

I carry the same in production, but have never used the 5th mag. I guess I was just seeing a 4 post on the front = 64 + a single post behind the hip = 16 for a total of 80 and was just curious how often one needed that many reloads.

But it looks like they are used in different scenarios, not necessary all together which makes a lot of sense now. I just don't want to show up to a match, for the first time, with a wheel gun and run myself out of ammo or realize why a lot of shooter have an extra post behind the hip in the middle of a scenario.

Edited by jeremy45

8 moons on a north mountain and one in the gun. I always like to have a moon or two beyond what would be expected for the stage in case of a dropped moon, or one doesn't load right, or an unexpected mike inducing solar flare compromising my otherwise butter-like trigger pull.

You need to allow for the dropped clip during a reload like was said above. You know it's just a matter of time before it happens. I carry 8 plus one in the gun. We had a 50 round stage last week and it felt like all I was doing was reloading.

One thing always screws me up is a miss and then have to do a reload to make it up then reload again so I have a full gun going to the next array.

Edited by ede

Even in Production, I carry 5 mags on the belt and the one in the gun. Every time. It's not about needing 61 rounds. It's about having enough mags (moons) in case you fumble or tumble.

Bet even Ben Stoeger would agree with that after the hiccup at World Shoot.

Every clip of mine goes into the cylinder and then cylinder closed and spun prior to a match or even local match. Wrong time to find out that clip is bent or you have a high primer or something else is wrong with the moon clip is when you are doing reload during a match.