Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb safeties.

bockerSV

Hi guys

A buddy of mine has a Shadowspo1 and his RHS safety keeps falling out. I have stripped the firearm and noticed nothing suspicious at all. The weapon has only had about 4000 rounds through it and is still like new. I did notice that only the LHS safety comes with a spring on the detent plunger and nothing on the RHS plunger. I followed up on youtube and see that that is correct. Do i just replace the RHS plunger and see what happens? Has anyone had this problem before?

It does sound like you're missing the RHS plunger which is more of a "keeper" for the safety.

Professor Atlas goes over this.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191773

DNH

I'm starting to have this issue with my CZ75 SP01 Shadow Custom. I've already contacted Scott Perman for one of this springs.

One thing I noticed is that the safety has a bunch of "ambiguous freeplay" before it completely locks in the safe position. When I contact the safety, usually with the meat of my support side first thumb joint, I don't fully lock it up - I just shove it up enough to interfere with the guns operation. As soon as I move my thumb, the safety usually drops back down into the FIRE position.

Looking at how the safety functions, there is a pie-shaped pad on the safety arm that rotates underneath the sear arm. (I hope I'm using the right terminology) If you re-shaped the pie-shaped pad, you could make it so the safety only engages when the safety lever is fully engaged & locked, by making the pie-shaped piece smaller. Don't change the "diameter / radius" of the pie, just close up the angle / number of degrees of the pie piece by removing material at the leading edge. Basically, I want the safety to still function, but only when it is fully in the SAFE position.

(I have a sketch, but I can't manage to put up a picture. The REPLY window keeps locking up every time I try.)

I have been using my accushadow for 3 gun, and so I left the regular safeties on the gun to make it easy to engage the safety even though it is somewhat uncomfortable.. But I will say as someone mentioned above.. I used the Scott Speerman extra power safety springs.. and its much harder to accidentally engage it. But it is also a very nice positive engagement when you do engage it on purpose.

I use the slim D safeties and find I have way less issues in accidentally hitting them in an unintended direction. I also get less grip interference as well. Only down side is it is a smaller place to try and use the safety as a ledge for your thumb.

• 6 months later...

Another vote here for the Perman springs! Talked to Scott, he was awesome to deal with, got it going right away. I had the springs in two days. Installed them and wow, what a difference! It feels more positive but I was hesitant that it would stop me from accidentally engaging the safety. After 200 dryfire draws, no problems at all. However, just being the caution guy I am, just ordered the thin safety set and will be putting that on soon also. This is going on an Accu Shadow that is used in USPSA Production.

If you don't have the Perman springs, you are really missing out!

I am a leftie fwiw. Occasional inadvertent safety engagements did occur until I installed thin Rami style safeties. Never think about it any longer.

Edited by rchaas

The cheapest option is to buy the extra power safety detent springs.

Another option is to use the tumbler style extended SA safeties so that you have two sets of springs, one for each side. You can use the extra power springs on those as well. You will need to trim the left hand safety to clear the slide stop though.

Edited by himurax13

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a follow-up to the safety issue. Got in the thin safety and fitted it last night. Wow - those things are thin!! It was strange, it took longer to fit the "D" end of the spindle to the RH safety lever than anything else. You would think they would be a close fit already but nada. I can see where it would be easy to screw up, you have to get the flat part of the "D" correct or you lever will be off. Anyway, it's all fitted and is running great! Loving this safety and the Perman springs!

I just fit two pairs of thin safeties on my Accu Shadow's last night. Took about 20 minutes for each gun. And that was taking my time doing some minor filing. All you need is a file and some calipers.

I was accidentally bumping up the larger stock safeties up just enough to lock the hammer on a few occasions. May not seem like a big deal until you do that a couple times on a classifier.

Here is a video that someone posted on YouTube that I found helpful.

Edited by JGus