Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Locking Elbows Out

ES13Raven

I usually have mine locked out as well especially when i am at a complete stop and shooting. I tend to keep them slightly bent when I am shooting on the move. To me the sights don't bounce as much when I bend them slightly.

I've heard some instructors say to lock your elbows out, and others say to have a slight bend in your elbows.

What works best for you?

I put a little bend in the left elbow (support) and hold the right one straighter but still slightly bent. I can't lock elbows any more because it stresses my rotator cuffs (shoulders) too much. I don't see the appeal of locked out elbows because it takes away the shock absorbing action the elbows can do during recoil if they can flex. Edited by bountyhunter

The way I look at this, it would depend on the type of shooting you are doing.

Breaking your elbows to help control and recover from recoil quicker is a bigger factor while shooting rapidly as in USPSA or Steel Challenge. If you are just shooting targets with slow single shots, use what ever method allows you to shoot better or more accurately.

I don't lock my elbows for USPSA shooting as that helps absorb some of the recoil and allows me to recover quicker for the next shot but if it is a single well placed shot I often get better results locking my elbows. As a matter of fact, if movement and transitioning is not involved, I often find Weaver stance gives me more accurate shots... my 2¢

• 2 weeks later...

It can vary some for each individual. Locked extended isnt normally a good stance for everyone shooting any action games but for some it works. Also if youre flexing your elbows, how far apart should they be? You have to try with a god paper target various elbow poaitions. You also need to try these after you make enough movement to get your heart rate & breathing up if you plan on action shooting.

I bend both, but my right arm is noticeably more bent then my left

This.

I have tried forcing myself to do the elbows locked but slightly bent stance. I spent over a years worth of competitions moving backwards down the ranks. Finally one day I decided to throw it all out and go with what was naturally comfortable. Locking my wrists down does far more for me than doing anything special with my elbows.

I'm a production shooter w/ a 34. I recently changed from elbows locked to bent and I'm still letting it sink in. A lot of it was motivated by elbow pain (I compete in powerlifting too) and between dry fire, lifting, and loading mags, my left elbow was starting to give me fits.

I picked it up in a match and watched a good shooter do it, then I mimicked him on the last stage, a classifier which I was able to barely squeak a division win on and I will take that any day.

I'm still trying to work it in dry fire, but I'm faster with it and haven't noticed any less of an ability to control recoil with a light 9mm load.

I do elbows bent with my torso leaning forward. How about when doing strong hand / weak hand? Would you lock your elbow or still keep a bend?

I don't know about anyone else, but I tend to lock my elbow when shooting single handed; and not when freestyle.

I've heard some instructors say to lock your elbows out, and others say to have a slight bend in your elbows.

What works best for you?

I see some "pros" in shooting videos with locked elbows and straight arms but they also have arms and shoulders like a bouncer..... like I did 40 years ago. As we get old, you have to accomodate a little and reduce stress on specific joints.

Edited by bountyhunter

I see some "pros" in shooting videos with locked elbows and straight arms but they also have arms and shoulders like a bouncer..... like I did 40 years ago. As we get old, you have to accomodate a little and reduce stress on specific joints.

Bob Vogel is a pretty skinny guy:

is0GkBd.jpg

It seems like elbows out is the important element regardless of bent or locked.

I think this physically keeps the arms from rising with bone alignment and recruitment of the lats. I think an analogy is when you push hard against something you automatically rotate your elbows out.

Whether the elbows are locked are bent seems to be dependent on physique and flexibility.

DNH

Before I started shooting competition, when I was stupid and thought Chris Costa was a genius, I locked my elbows and tucked my head. Straightening your arms really does allow the recoil to travel through the whole body as opposed to your arms alone being used as shock absorbers, thus allowing for what appears to better recoil control.

BUT, the better I get, and I'm getting better really quickly, the more I bend my elbows and stand more upright. This is an action sport, your time is your transition time, not how fast your splits are. And once you know how to properly grip the gun and work the trigger, a little more muzzle lift in the first shot is irrelevant if you're quicker in every other aspect. Bringing the gun in a little close to your body allows for quicker transitions between targets, quicker getting in and out of positions, quicker reloads, and most importantly, a more natural shooting position.