Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Best Comp?

anilson

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Matt has plans to do a run of steel comps. If you are interested in one let him know.

Thanks will email hom now.

Any word back from him on this? I too am interested in running his comp but not a fan of Ti

I have some stainless stock that's waiting on machine time. I'll have them done in the next couple of weeks. Working on scope mounts at the moment.

I suppose I will add my 2 cents while I'm here.

What are we trying to accomplish with the comp? Keep the muzzle down and reduce recoil. How do you do that? Surfaces that the gas runs into relativity perpendicular to the bore will reduce the energy transferred to the slide thus reducing recoil, and the mass and velocity of the gas going up & out will push the muzzle down. Unfortunately it's very easy to do too much of both of these in the search of "the best/flattest comp out there". It's all a balancing act. Remove too much energy with a "brake" type of a comp and the gun doesn't run well. It takes a certain amount of energy to cycle the slide, and you need some more on top of that to make it reliable in all instances. To much comp pushing the barrel down and you get a dot that first tracks down, then up, and then back down again, or just wiggles all over the place. I just installed a "not to be named comp" that was so effective it blew the muzzle down when you pulled the trigger, basically impossible to shoot. On the other hand, I've shot short guns that were so violent and flat it was more like the dot exploded when you pulled the trigger. Now where did my shot go again? :surprise:

We're trying to make the dot track predictably and that usually means as straight up and down as possible (usually ends up being up and to right right a bit). It's all a balancing act. In addition to that is what YOU like in a comp. I prefer something with a little more lift, I find it much easier to call shots. Heck, look at the setup Max uses, it's a Trubor with a nearly full weight slide. YOU might like something different.

I think Matt has plans to do a run of steel comps. If you are interested in one let him know.

Thanks will email hom now.

Any word back from him on this? I too am interested in running his comp but not a fan of Ti

I have some stainless stock that's waiting on machine time. I'll have them done in the next couple of weeks. Working on scope mounts at the moment.

Matt since this might be info for others have you had any shooters have issues with slower burning powder such as 3n38 with your Ti comp? I have read of somr people reporting that the slower powders will eat up Ti comps pretty fast any truth to that?

Matt since this might be info for others have you had any shooters have issues with slower burning powder such as 3n38 with your Ti comp? I have read of somr people reporting that the slower powders will eat up Ti comps pretty fast any truth to that?

I've never had a comp wrecked due to powder erosion. I've shot Ti comps for every open gun I've ever had & never even saw signs of it. Had a gun I built with 100k+ rounds in for a rebarrel due to the rifling being mostly gone, we replaced the barrel, but kept the Ti comp.

We're trying to make the dot track predictably and that usually means as straight up and down as possible (usually ends up being up and to right right a bit). It's all a balancing act. In addition to that is what YOU like in a comp. I prefer something with a little more lift, I find it much easier to call shots. Heck, look at the setup Max uses, it's a Trubor with a nearly full weight slide. YOU might like something different.

What Power Factor would you recommend for your TI Comp ??

I'm not Matt but I run his Open guns with his latest Ti Comp Exclusively. Like most comps his prefer a little more gas before they really kick in. I found my gun handled best at about 174-175 PF. That was with MG 121's as well as MG 115 JHP's. And I run only WAC powder.

Matt

I've had 2 ti comp made by another gunsmith, I liked how the gun handled, but both of them cracked

Have yours had any issues

And do you run any barrel porting

Thanks

Ray

In 4 years I have had two of Matt's Ti comps and neither has shown any sign of weakness as of yet. I don't have barrel holes in my gun but I'm sure Matt has done several because some guys really like them. But his comp is very effective without them in my experience.

I'm not Matt but I run his Open guns with his latest Ti Comp Exclusively. Like most comps his prefer a little more gas before they really kick in. I found my gun handled best at about 174-175 PF. That was with MG 121's as well as MG 115 JHP's. And I run only WAC powder.

I'll try to bump up the PF, at this point I'm running at 170'ish with 7.55 grn of 3N37 powder. I do have some Vectan SP2 as well to play with.:)

Matt

I've had 2 ti comp made by another gunsmith, I liked how the gun handled, but both of them cracked

Have yours had any issues

And do you run any barrel porting

Thanks

Ray

I've never had one of my comps crack or fail.

I don't run porting on my gun, but I do put a couple of holes in guns for customers that like it a little flatter.

It is important to note that there are multiple grades of titanium, the kind I use for comps is 6 times more expensive than your run of the mill titanium stock.

Edited by Matt Cheely

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Allen Ziita in VT makes an outstanding it is made from multiple parts and costs around $1,200. that said I want one and it is hard not only to come up with the money but equally hard to get him to commit to building one. He seems to focus on 3-Gun ARs. and AKs.

Aside from that I love the Bedell Titanium.

• 2 months later...

Jid2: on your slide cuts did you use an EDM machine. Sure it's been ask many times but is your new red dot still making progress.

- 3 Axis CNC, no EDM

- Shooting latest sight proto next weekend at a local 3 Gun match

- Have lots of comps ready for those who want them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious since I am just getting back into this how was the drop in power factor effected the comp design. I noticed now that most are back to 3 or 4 port comps at most? Just wondering. I am currently loading up some 115's with 3n37 to try in my Nowlin and do a little spring tuning to boot. What weight spring are most of you running on your 38 SC guns?

Jid2: on your slide cuts did you use an EDM machine. Sure it's been ask many times but is your new red dot still making progress.

- 3 Axis CNC, no EDM

- Shooting latest sight proto next weekend at a local 3 Gun match

- Have lots of comps ready for those who want them.

Can you give an update on how the new sight ran?