Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster Wear

ES13Raven

Can you adjust it to make it looser? Looks like its wear marks are from going "in" judging by the direction of the scrapes...?

I just checked it in the holster - it goes in pretty loose and starts to "lock" into place when the gun is about 80% in. If I make it any looser, the gun won't stay in the holster.

Edited by ES13Raven

Can you adjust it to make it looser? Looks like its wear marks are from going "in" judging by the direction of the scrapes...?

I just checked it in the holster - it goes in pretty loose and starts to "lock" into place when the gun is about 80% in. If I make it any looser, the gun won't stay in the holster.

If you have the holster adjusted correctly and you still have the problem only on the front of the slide, maybe it is from your technique of the draw or re-holster dragging the front of the muzzle on the holster.

When I was shooting a G34 the front of the barrel looked pretty similar. However, I am shooting close to 25,000 rds/yr plus 3-5 days/ week of dry fire so that's a lot of draws .... I never thought that was such a big deal. Now if you only shoot 5,000/yr maybe it is excessive wear ....

I was just getting ready to post a thread about suede lined holster because of this very issue with kydex holsters. They have ruined the finish on an sti eagle (blued), sti executive (hard chromed) and others. I just can't stand open race holsters.

However, holster wear on a glock looks awesome! But now I went and bought a nice ZEV Dragon fly slide for my glock and don't want to scratch it up.

Are there any competition style kydex holsters that are lined with felt or suede that might protect the finish? I know safariland duty holsters are lined and thought about disabling the ALS retention and just using it.

I was just getting ready to post a thread about suede lined holster because of this very issue with kydex holsters. They have ruined the finish on an sti eagle (blued), sti executive (hard chromed) and others. I just can't stand open race holsters.

However, holster wear on a glock looks awesome! But now I went and bought a nice ZEV Dragon fly slide for my glock and don't want to scratch it up.

Are there any competition style kydex holsters that are lined with felt or suede that might protect the finish? I know safariland duty holsters are lined and thought about disabling the ALS retention and just using it.

Those work until they get a grain of sand stuck to the suede -- and then they scratch the finish just as much.....

None of the guns pictured here have excessive holster wear -- AAMOF they look like you barely practice......

lulz

Did you miss the part where mine is only one month old? That's the result of nightly dryfire, FYI.

I don't care, personally; simply pointing out that if you have a newer Glock, the weak finish is the likeliest culprit.

I put this gun in my holster maybe 2 times and you can see a scratch or scrape in the nose already. Is there any holster that would be more forgiving on it (besides a open race type holster) like suede lined or should I just say F it and get to work?

post-48839-0-02826400-1411879969_thumb.j

My personal philosophy is that guns are tools, and as such, tools get messed up. If I buy a gun that I worry about dropping in the mud or shooting in the rain, I generally leave it in the safe and never fire it

Generally, I agree....which is one of the reasons I switched to glock in the first place. And I also think glocks look better and better the more they are abused. :) But now I have a slide on there that cost almost as much as a brand new glock and I would like to keep it looking good as long as possible.

bladetech holsters scratch up all my guns. I'm thinking bits of grit from the grip tape get down in there and tear things up. That's the only thing I can come up with because I just don't see how plastic could do that to steel....

post-48839-0-60708900-1411881266_thumb.j

post-48839-0-96587100-1411881326_thumb.j

I have the same gun and use the same holster. My gun finish looks exactly like your picture. I use the holster for IDPA and it is adjusted as loosely as possible to barely retain the gun. There is no "grit" in the holster. I dry and live fire daily. It has seen thousands of insertions and extractions into and out of the holster.

The black finish on the gun is not the surface hardness treatment. It is just decorative. I'm like the others here. It's a tool that I use daily so I'm not surprised it shows some scars.

Shoot that baby and use the wear to buy a new one someday.