Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time to go horizontal and I have questions

Sarge

Well, I hate to do it because of the hideous looks but it is time to switch to a horizontal mount for my Open gun. Since the slide cracked and had to be replaced this year it has never been the same. Had major ejection issues this weekend with brass bouncing back into the chamber and damn near wore a hole in the bottom of my cmore.

If I must switch I want the best looking mount possible. What I am looking for is any custom units out there that are not anodized the ugly gray/silver color but more polished looking. The only unit I can seem to find like that is the Cameron's custom but I don't want the logo. I guess they make them without logo and i have emailed them about getting one. I really want polished aluminum to match my hard chrome.

Anyone know of any custom builders out there who are making something like I am looking for? Or can I get an anodized one and polish it out? If so how?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Hello: Buy a new extended ejector and start with that. Cut it back and angle it so it ejects the brass back 3 feet and 7 feet over. If you learn how to tune the ejector you can make the brass come out at every angle that you want. Are you shooting 9mm or 38? One thing to check is if the post on the ejector is broken? Allowing it to move up and down. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Just tune the ejector

been tuned and retuned without 100% success

Sarge, when I first bought my "tuned" TruBor - I kept having brass bouncing around

my C-More - kept getting stuck in the chamber & banging into the scope.

I spent a year with one gunsmith after another trying to "tune" it - didn't work.

Finally realized it was one of my four "tuned" mags - that needed a new spring.

After that - worked perfectly, until it needed some new springs.

Not sure that YOUR problem is exactly the same as mine - but as Eric and Tom

have mentioned above, it's probably a very small problem that you have - overlooking

some obvious small problem, like springs.

Good luck with it. Frustrating, isn't it?? :cheers:

Hello: Just tune the ejector

been tuned and retuned without 100% success

Good luck with it. Frustrating, isn't it?? :cheers:

Yes it is. There were a handful of short speed shoots at Indiana this weekend. What should have been 5 second runs turned into 12-15 seconds on a few occasions. :angry::eatdrink:

I did single out one mag that I had a jam with when I started grasping at straws. Maybe I will pop some new mag springs in today and see. Thanks!

Kevin -

Forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question, but I assume Matt did the same work on the new ejection port as your old slide had, right? And that you're running the same, or same type extractor as the old slide (Aftec I thought you ran), right? If yes to both of these, how can it be a slide problem?

Now if you do decide to go horizontal, when I ran with the Quinn III, it was nice. The built-in adjustable thumbrest was really nice. I'm sure you could either polish it, or have the dull silver stripped and bright anodized to give it a near chrome look. One thing to consider, the problem I had with the horizontal is that I kept jamming/pinching my thumb in the spot between the rest and the mount, so I found I wasn't really getting a good grip. May not affect you, but with bigger hands, it didn't work out for me.

Kevin -

Forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question, but I assume Matt did the same work on the new ejection port as your old slide had, right? And that you're running the same, or same type extractor as the old slide (Aftec I thought you ran), right? If yes to both of these, how can it be a slide problem?

me.

Sent it back to Matt he reworked the ejector and put a new tuned aftec in it and it was better. Never as reliable as it originally was but better.

If both the ejector and the extractor are proper, check the breech face on the new slide and make sure the timing is correct. There really aren't many variables left to check and it's guaranteed to be one of those that was already mentioned with these two added.