Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Out of the Box - Beretta 1301 or Versa Max Competition Tactical

Colds

I've read a ton of threads, but I've got a pretty specific question.

I've competed in Pistol and Rifle for a couple years or so and have only done one Shotgun comp. For my 3gun shotgun, I have narrowed down my choices to the Beretta 1301 or the Versa Max Competition Tactical.

Here's the wrench. I've got a match the first week of October and a training class the day before it with Daniel Horner (couldn't resist the chance to shoot with him).

I will not have time to send it off to a gunsmith and I want to get the most possible out of the class. I've heard that the loading port on the VM comp is better, but there are issues that need a dremel and it's heavier. The Beretta apparently needs a bunch of work on the loading port and the serial number keeps you from widening it a bunch in the future.

Again, goal is to get the most out of the class. Added bonus would be a good shotgun I can grow with in 3gun. Also, does the length matter (I'd imagine the need for an extended tube makes the longer shotgun make sense). I appreciate your help!

get a used M2. if you dont have time to "proof" the shotgun and make sure theres no issues with it, thats my choice. If you had time, and had a little time to shoot the VM, thats a good option, but

if I had to take my pick between the beretta and the versamax, out of the box, and off to the class; in that case, Id have to say go with the M2.

get a used M2. if you dont have time to "proof" the shotgun and make sure theres no issues with it, thats my choice. If you had time, and had a little time to shoot the VM, thats a good option, but

if I had to take my pick between the beretta and the versamax, out of the box, and off to the class; in that case, Id have to say go with the M2.

sounds like a goood plan to me. I like the versamax platform but mine has been worked over, tweaked, and refined to where it's perfect for me. I don't think I'd want to take either one out of the box and get as much out of the shotgun part of the class as you'd like to.

Edited by JPeel

Out of the box the VMC will be difficult to load - some have said damn near impossible without some work on at least the shell stop.

The 1301 out of the box would only need an extension tube ... That the VM would already have.

You can load the 1301 as is without much fuss but yes, sending it out later for more work to the port is preferred

Have you considered the JM Pro ... The latest ones seem to have the issues sorted out and would probably be more out of the box ready of them all.

FWIW, my JM has never had issues nor the other 2 my buddies run ... and my wife's loves her 1301

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Edited by IntenseImage

I have the vm comp and it was reafy to go with about 45 minutes of at home work it really is simple to get it to the next level. It gets my vote. The tools I used were a set of needle files dremel with buffing wheel and flitz and some wet or dry sand paper taped to a 12 ga shell. I also run a +4 nordic extension for 12 round tube.

Edited by Iowashooter

I added a +5 tube to my 1301 and ran my first comp with zero issues. The guys on my squad were quite impressed with my stock gun. I may eventually play with the loading port, but right now it's not holding me back. For any one with larger hands, the stock lifter isn't an issue. For my small fingers, I opted to get the lifter welded. Quite jealous by the way! Would live to take a class from Horner!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by xtremekramer

I agree with xtremekramer.

I too added a +5 (NC MXT) to my 1301. Between a ton of practice and 2 competitions, the only thing I did was a little lube and Loctite for the little screw holding the bolt release. ZERO issues! I love the light weight and now look forward to the shotgun stages!

The Beretta is reliable out of the box...cant say anthing bad about it. Dont know the VM so I really cant comment. It does need some work to get quad loading down right.....so it depends on what the expextations are for the class....if u wanna learn quad loading at the classnthen an M2 is ur best bet......that being said.....most everyone is modding their loading ports period...I think the M2 is the best one stock ........what about borrowing a gun for the class? Then u can see what others are using a pick a gun from there?

It's the Indian not the arrow. If the OP is relatively new to the shotgun side of the sport any of the above guns will do just fine and not hold him back. Any of them can be modified down the road to suit his tastes just as soon as some experience is gained and he knows what direction he wants to go. I would hold off buying a gun till you get good enough with what you have to pinpoint exactly what on that gun is holding you back so you have an idea what you would like to see/not see on a new unit. Oh yeah, I love my 1301 but I'm one of 29 or so people still weak hand loading so my opinion might not be relevant to your reloading and shooting style.

It's the Indian not the arrow. If the OP is relatively new to the shotgun side of the sport any of the above guns will do just fine and not hold him back. Any of them can be modified down the road to suit his tastes just as soon as some experience is gained and he knows what direction he wants to go. I would hold off buying a gun till you get good enough with what you have to pinpoint exactly what on that gun is holding you back so you have an idea what you would like to see/not see on a new unit. Oh yeah, I love my 1301 but I'm one of 29 or so people still weak hand loading so my opinion might not be relevant to your reloading and shooting style.

There are 30 of us. I weak hand load my 1301. 2 at a time. If I try quad loading, 3 land on the floor.

I recently picked up a 24" 1301. I love it. At this time I have only added the Nordic plus 5. I have done quite a bit of practice with load 2 and it is pretty smooth. Eventually I will get the loading gate welded up since it has lightly bitten me a couple times. Other than that, I don't really see me doing alot of grinding on it other than knocking the sharper edges off.

I received my VM and haven't had time to get it out. I dry loaded about 500 rounds to loosen everything up. I then took it to a indoor range and shot about 20 rounds of 00/slugs and today I shot a 3 gun match with never shooing any bird shot out of it. Shot 2 shotgun stages (about 40 rounds) with Remington 1290 FPS birdshot. Everything ran perfect, the only chance I made to the gun was a bigger charging handle. I think this qualifies for Out-of-the Box. Buy one it ran perfect!

Count me as 31...weak hand deuces and quads!

Also......I agree with TonyT....definitely wanna see what is out there before u buy...but if the class is supposed to tech u techniques...u gotta have something....I still say borrow someones worked shotgun...doesnt have to be an M2....

I recently picked up a 24" 1301. I love it. At this time I have only added the Nordic plus 5. I have done quite a bit of practice with load 2 and it is pretty smooth. Eventually I will get the loading gate welded up since it has lightly bitten me a couple times. Other than that, I don't really see me doing alot of grinding on it other than knocking the sharper edges off.

With only 4 matches under my 1301 belt......... (add grain of salt here)....for weak hand quad loading...IMHO....the mods that u must have :

Cut lifter spring...3.5 coils for me.....

Cut loading port to the serial number and another .100" on the other side...smooth all edges

Radius lifter button...it is sharp

Chamfer lower portion of reciever that meets mag tube

Adjust/raise lifter to allow shells to feed smoother into mag tube

All of the above took a bit to do.....mostly because I had to do it in steps and figure it out as I went....so the above is a good starting point...along with the 40 plus pages on the 1301

I run a Versa Max Tactical. The fork needs welding etc. etc.

If my options are between those two guns (Beretta 1301 and the VM Competition Tactical) I would so go for the VM Competition Tactical. No work needed. Well if you want to open the loading port more by all means go for it. Other than that it beats the Beretta with capacity. No need to weld the lifter since it is the competition lifter that isn't forked.

Yes, it is heavier than a M2 but that bit of weight fights recoil. My VM Tactical handles recoil so much better than the M2. Runs reliably with 24gr loads without me having to do a thing.

Have you had some shotgun experience yet? Like in are you use to a certain manual of arms? If so the Beretta 1301 might throw you since the safety isn't were other shotguns' safety sits. Not a big deal but until you are use to it, it will cost you.

Don't get me wrong. Next semi auto on the to buy list is a Beretta 1301 but if these two are my option I would definitely go with the Versa Max.

Edited by potentpoefie