Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

any advice before purchase?

mynameisryan

Went out with a friend to shoot some guns. Previously owned a G34 and G19 and just couldn't shoot them well at all. I shot doubletaps with my P938 better than my G34. I tried the M&P9L, 5.25XDM, P226, and a Springfield RO 9mm. Right off the bat I was a champ with the RO. I shot the XDM well and the M&P9l would be nice but the trigger out of the box blows.

Looking at the Springfield RO is going to be $740 between gun, shipping, and ffl fees. With Springfield doing the 3 free mags it sweetens the deal. Are there any concerns with paying this price(seeing them sell new/used for 750-850) or are there any good alternatives(Not Rock Island)? The Springfield warranty is extremely nice from my XDS so if I do have issues I'll hopefully not have a lot of issues with warranty. I've always read you can't depend on a 1911 but I shot some ugly cheap ammo out of his RO which was stock and it ate it all.

I've always read you can't depend on a 1911 but I shot some ugly cheap ammo out of his RO which was stock and it ate it all.

That is usually said by someone who doesn't know how to take care of them. They are extremely reliable when put together properly and properly maintained. If you treat is like a glock it will not be dependable.

Good mags, CMC Powermags or Wilson 47D will go a long way to make it run right. Clean it, lube it, maintain it (springs & shock buffers replaced regularly) and run good ammo through good mags

The RO I ran had the stock magazines and I'll end up with 5 after the promo. The gun is mostly a fun/IDPA gun. I know it pushes me into ESP but it's all for good fun. I asked on my local gun forum and it turned into a glock torture test and 1911s can't do it. I carry a 938 and it's never had a misfire and I maintain all my firearms.

Edited by mynameisryan

What do you want to use the gun for? If it was for IDPA I would go with the XDM ir an M&P Pro. 1911's are reliable. That said so is virtually every other gun made if fed factory ammo or well produced reloads. Point of fact though it is the 1911's that are seen jamming up at IPSC and IDPA matches the most often. CZ'a, M&P's and Glocks not so much. For USPSA in the US CZ SP-01 Shadow or any of the polymer guns will do you well in Production Division. For just pllinking any of the guns in the store. Find one you like and go make her go bang at the range,

If ammo costs are a concern stick with the 9MM. Available everywhere. costs less than the other popular calibers and is easy to reload with used brass at your feet.

Take care

Bob

Buy the RO. Plastic guns will always have a trigger that will not be as good. 1911s are very reliable with good mags and ammo. Don't buy into the bs, all guns jam, but most that do haven't been cleaned or have crappy reloads. Usually its the reloads. I've seen plenty of glocks and xds not run too.(Many times its to light springs that wont light off primers that were installed trying do get a decent trigger). YMMV

Here's another vote for the RO. I shoot one in 45. and it was my primary competition gun all last season with zero hiccups.

I don't know what the round counts are for the factory mags in 9mm, but the factory 45 are only 7 round mags so I ended up buying all new mags to get up to 8 rounds for competition. Based on a survey of posts here I ended up going with Chip McCormick Power Mags.

What it really comes down to is for the money you are talking about you can get a low end 1911 which will or may be reliable or you can get a top end non 1911 9MM gun, with better sights, higher capacity that will out perform the basic 1911 hands down. There is a reason why the non 1911's dominate IPSC Production and all of the IDPA Divisions now. They run quicker, are more reliable and the initial cost is much lower for the quality of the product. Yes I now the 1911 does not qualify for IPSC/USPSA Production.

Sorry guys I love my 1911's but none of the under $1K 1911's can compete with the quality built into even the basic CZ, XDM , M&P, SIG 226 or Glock platforms. If this is to be your first and likely your last gun for awhile go with any of the modern 9MM platforms.

Take Care

Bob

any other suggestions around the 700-750 range? This seems to be the ideal 9mm 1911 in the price range.

Nope, get the RO. I think it is the best value 1911 on the market. I bought my RO 45acp, for ~$750, and have not once regretted it.

Hi mynameisryan. Your opening sentance had "Right off the bat I was a champ with the RO" Go with a 1911, the best you can afford. I have three STI 1911s love then all. To me they just feel much nicer to shoot than plastic pistols. Good luck choosing. Cheers.

Let me add this one to the mix. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_876/products_id/716005906/Rock+Island+Armory+51623+TAC+1911+II+FS+9%2B1+9mm+5%22

I have owned a RIA Tactical in 9mm and found it to be a pretty darn good shooting gun. Mine was extremely accurate. I currently own a 9mm Range Officer. I have owned a 9mm/.40 Kimber also. IMO a STI is no better than a RO. The RO can be loaded long - 1.200". That allows you to use Checkmate 10 round .38 Super mags. The RIA has a more normal length throat. I loaded to 1.150" with it.

All will require a trigger job. The STI Spartan is nothing more than a RIA with a pretty face. You do get adjustable sights with the Spartan.

I work on 1911s weekly. Everything from Les Baers, Nighthawks to RIAs.

IMO the two best bangs for the buck would be the RIA Tac II and the Range Officer. The Tactical II already comes with everything you need - FO front and magwell. A COMPETENT smith should charge you no more that $50 for a 1911 trigger job. That's what I charge if no parts need to be replaced.

I have found that the best mags are either Metalforms or the Checkmates. The Tripp mags are very reliable, but expensive. I am not a fan of CMC or Wilson mags. The Metalforms and Checkmates run in the $25 range.

Frankly I have found nothing special about STI 1911s. They are certainly not in the same class as a LB or Nighthawk.

What it really comes down to is for the money you are talking about you can get a low end 1911 which will or may be reliable or you can get a top end non 1911 9MM gun, with better sights, higher capacity that will out perform the basic 1911 hands down. There is a reason why the non 1911's dominate IPSC Production and all of the IDPA Divisions now. They run quicker, are more reliable and the initial cost is much lower for the quality of the product. Yes I now the 1911 does not qualify for IPSC/USPSA Production.

Sorry guys I love my 1911's but none of the under $1K 1911's can compete with the quality built into even the basic CZ, XDM , M&P, SIG 226 or Glock platforms. If this is to be your first and likely your last gun for awhile go with any of the modern 9MM platforms.

Take Care

Bob

Bob, it all depends on what you shoot best. I am a fan of Glocks. Have a safe full of them. Glocks got me to a 3 gun Master. My go to gun is a Glock 35. I shoot a Glock better than anything else. SIGs stink. Bore axis is way too high. I would not say the build quality is any worse with a Kimber or Springfield. I would not say non 1911s dominate IDPA either. I know several guys that might beg to differ. One of them was 1st place CDP Master at last years Nationals, another was 1st place ESP Master. I know Morgan shoots a 2011. Matt shoots a Nighthawk. This year Scott, last year's Distinguished Senior winner, will be shooting a 9mm 1911. I shoot with two of these guys all the time.

Bought the Range Officer. I know exactly what I'm getting since I've shot it. Ordering VZ grips, new sights, and some other stuff tonight. I ended up paying 750 with FFL fee which is pretty good. Gun should get here Weds/Thurs but I'm a big man child so I will be refreshing the tracking every 5 seconds.

Ryan, make sure you ordered the correct front sight. Hopefully you got it from Dawson.The RO does NOT have a .330" cut. It has a .343" cut. I added a magwell, guide rod and an extended mag release. Remember it has a long throat. Seems like I could load out to 1.180" with the stock mags.

You will like your new gun.

1911s in that price range are hit and miss. Buy one and take your chances. I MUCH prefer 1911/2011 pattern guns to any polymer-frame /striker-fired gun ever made. BUT, in that price range, I will take a polymer-frame/striker-fired gun over a 1911 because they are more reliable and are built to work when produced at the 450-600 price point. 1911s, having been designed for manufacture more than 100 years ago, were not designed to work when built at a standard that allows for a profit in the 700-900 price range. If you really want a 1911 you can run hard and put up wet, for many thousands of rounds without any problem. you need to spend about 1800-2100. It is what it is. For an occasional range shooter, the RO will work fine, I am sure. But I personally do not think it will be the equal to a $500 Glock 17 for serious work.

I was always a fan of my glocks with a $200 drop in triggers until I got my Trojan in 9mm and swapped out the springs. 9lb recoil and 17 lb mainspring and I am very happy with how I shoot it. I also just like the feel of steel in my hand now :)

Just ordered my first 2011 now!

Edited by zimm33

Agreed! Nothing like Shooting a 1911/2011. Im back to shooting SS in USPSA (C class) and my Edge 5" for 3 gun.... Yes, i like my M&P but there is nothing like a 1911 with the right trigger.... i have been lucky with my STI's but i hear they are hit or miss with reliability and tuning.... good luck!

Went out with a friend to shoot some guns. Previously owned a G34 and G19 and just couldn't shoot them well at all. I shot doubletaps with my P938 better than my G34. I tried the M&P9L, 5.25XDM, P226, and a Springfield RO 9mm. Right off the bat I was a champ with the RO. I shot the XDM well and the M&P9l would be nice but the trigger out of the box blows.

Looking at the Springfield RO is going to be $740 between gun, shipping, and ffl fees. With Springfield doing the 3 free mags it sweetens the deal. Are there any concerns with paying this price(seeing them sell new/used for 750-850) or are there any good alternatives(Not Rock Island)? The Springfield warranty is extremely nice from my XDS so if I do have issues I'll hopefully not have a lot of issues with warranty. I've always read you can't depend on a 1911 but I shot some ugly cheap ammo out of his RO which was stock and it ate it all.

Ryan,

I have a 9mm RO that runs great. I have a 45 Rock Island that runs great, after some tweaking. I also have Kimbers and a custom single stack. And glocks, and Xds.

I think the RO is the best value in single stacks right now. STI and Dawson CRPs might suit you better depending on what sport and division you like. For an all purpose 1911, the RO is pretty good value. Of course, that fancy adjustable rear sight will chew you up if you carry it inside the waist band.