Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

any advice before purchase?

mynameisryan

What it really comes down to is for the money you are talking about you can get a low end 1911 which will or may be reliable or you can get a top end non 1911 9MM gun, with better sights, higher capacity that will out perform the basic 1911 hands down. There is a reason why the non 1911's dominate IPSC Production and all of the IDPA Divisions now. They run quicker, are more reliable and the initial cost is much lower for the quality of the product. Yes I now the 1911 does not qualify for IPSC/USPSA Production.

Sorry guys I love my 1911's but none of the under $1K 1911's can compete with the quality built into even the basic CZ, XDM , M&P, SIG 226 or Glock platforms. If this is to be your first and likely your last gun for awhile go with any of the modern 9MM platforms.

Take Care

Bob

I am pretty new at shooting handguns, just started this year. I did about 6 matches in USPSA and IDPA "type" matches. I am currently using a Sig 226 9mm. Most people tell me I have to get a 1911 or a Glock to be competitive and that the Sig is not good for competition. I do not know why. I explained that it would be a long time before the gun became my limiting factor. One thing I notice is it always goes bang when I need it to. Even in days with wind blown sand and rain that seem th give the race guns fits.

You mentioned Sig in your post with the other platforms, any reason it isn't well received in competition?

I have been looking at getting an SA1911 Range Officer or an STI Trojan before they outlaw those as "military hardware" (NYS resident).

Edited by 67Stingray

Get a Glock 17/34, learn to shoot it while you learn what you want.

I used to agree with this logic. However, the older I got the less I liked it. Looking back at purchases in the past I realized I'd spent hundreds of dollars on items that were purchased "to hold me over" until I upgraded or figured out what I really liked, or could afford what I really wanted. While you can learn the fundamentals on most any gun, you're better off in the long run getting what you want up front and learning on that. Especially if you're getting a completely different platform to learn on with the intent of switching down the road. All the controls are different, the feel is different, and you have to relearn some things on the fly. My advice, find a style of gun that fits you and is comfortable and get it. If it's a $2500 2011-style, well save up a little longer than for the $500 G34 that you're likely to tinker with anyway.