Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accushadow Cost

Whoops!

How much were they when they first came out? Now they're a $550 premium for a custom bushing, all because they have the production division monopoly on accuracy enhancing products?

Does anyone except me see what is going on here?

Ah, I was looking at the version with the "match fit" barrel. If one does a search for accu shadow on the cz custom site, it's the first one to pop up. So, let me do the new math... how much was the CZ Shadow Custom a couple of years ago? I feel like I remember it for under 1200 not too long ago...

Completely factoring out the short reset trigger, which is already marked up at 135 for all labor included, we're looking at a premium of approximately $350 for a bushing. That's a nice bushing.

Actually, let me do it this way. The MSRP of a Tactical Sport is 1310. Several dealers online are making a profit on it at 1110. The msrp of the Shadow Target is 1361. Let's not do it percentage wise, and just go with a straight 200 off. I'm strictly guessing a profit can be made at 1161. 500 dollars...

I'm not saying it isn't worth it. I just want people to realize where there money is going in the name of competition. It's a high cost to be competitive in USPSA production...

Edited by Whoops!

I think the $330 premium to have:

slide machined to accept bushing

bushing made/supplied

bushing wrench

barrel fitted to bushing (assuming they do that, I'm not sure they do)

That's probably about right? Just because they make quite a few doesn't change the fact that it's still custom work being done.

also, if you look at buying say a factory CZ TS you can have the accubush added for $350. So given for the same model shadow the accu version is only $330 more that makes perfect sense to me.

I agree, until one factors in the premium shadow customs themselves are now demanding. I was previously working off the original of 1850 and thought hmmm . . . maybe things are getting out of hand. But, they're not as out of hand as I thought. Although I think most would think the cost of a bushing and the time and usage of tools to make it fit shouldn't cost 350, but hey, I like for my competitive gun to hit where I'm aiming and since they have a monopoly on that for CZs...

Edited by Whoops!

CZCustom SP01 Shadow Black 2014 $1300 - http://czcustom.com/shadowcustom2014blk.aspx

CZCustom SP01 ACCU Shadow Black $1665 - http://czcustom.com/cz75sp01accushadow.aspx

I'm not sure what you see?

You forgot the Accu Shadow BLK $1850. This is what the OP was looking at.

http://czcustom.com/czcaccushadowblk.aspx

Edited by Quack

By the time you buy enough ammo to shoot the 5 years it will take to wear the pistol out the cost of the pistol pales by comparison.

After you add match fees, fuel, lodging, ammo, pistol maintenance and gear (belts, mag holder, bags, brushes, etc.) the cost of a pistol is negligible over time.

The problem is the pistol itself is considered a major purchase and not spread out over time like the other money we spend to shoot.

So with an expected life of 50,000 rounds an Accu-Shadow adds about .03 to the cost of each round. Now, consider that we could sell the Accu-Shadow after shooting 50,000 rounds through it for at least $500, and it's down to just two cents per round.

It's a nice pistol, I'd say it's worth at least a four cents a round and I'm only spending two cents a round. That's a bargain :)

I'm not saying it isn't worth it. I just want people to realize where there money is going in the name of competition. It's a high cost to be competitive in USPSA production...

Wait, what? are you saying you can't be competitive without buying an accu-shadow?

If so, you are doing it wrong.

I shoot a stock Accu in Production (I'm just an average shooter, B class). Best pistol I've ever shot. It has slightly improved my groupings and improved my hits. Would I buy it again? Absolutely. With out question.

But, I think the whole "Accu Shadow," "Shadow," "Stock II," "Stock III," etc, is getting blown out of proportion. We all know there are many GM's, M's, A's that are shooting Glocks, M&P's, and the occasional Sig and XDm. I know that for a fact because they are kicking my ass at the matches I shoot.

The Shadow models and Stock II's and III's won't make you worse, but also don't expect unrealistic improvements just by switching to one of these guns. I can attest to that. I would have to believe a great trigger job will do more for a shooter than adding a bushing (Accu) or a bull/coned barrel (Stock II).

This is what drove my dad out of custom gunsmithing decades ago. People would say "I bought the whole gun for X dollars. You want to charge me half of X for a custom stock or whatever." They had no idea of how many hours go into custom work or machining or the innate value of what skilled craftsmen do. the Accu line are essentially hand fitted custom pistols. Don't let the fact that they compete in Production division make you think otherwise. You can't compare the cost of a 1911 bushing at Midway to the bushing from CZC. There are R&D costs, slide cutting and fitting involved.

Do you have to have one of these to be competitive in Production? Of course not. There are national champions who have run lightly modified Glocks. This is however a hobby and you have the option of getting the slickest, most tricked out toy you like. It is part of the experience.

Edited by Neomet

Do you have to have one of these to be competitive in Production? Of course not. There are national champions who have run lightly modified Glocks. This is however a hobby and you have the option of getting the slickest, most tricked out toy you like. It is part of the experience.

I agree completely.

I have a Glock, and like it a lot. I also have a M&P 40 which I don't like as much. There are many good things about the polymer striker fired pistols. There are also some drawbacks.

Is an AccuShadow worth it? That's a very subjective and individual question. To me the answer was yes. YMMV. That's the great thing about discretionary spending, it is a matter of choices.

CZCustom SP01 Shadow Black 2014 $1300 - http://czcustom.com/shadowcustom2014blk.aspx

CZCustom SP01 ACCU Shadow Black $1665 - http://czcustom.com/cz75sp01accushadow.aspx

I'm not sure what you see?

You forgot the Accu Shadow BLK $1850. This is what the OP was looking at.

http://czcustom.com/czcaccushadowblk.aspx

I didn't forget anything. The OP was talking about $550 more for a bushing...BUT...he was looking at the gun with the match barrel and the bushing, and comparing it to the model with neither.

This is what drove my dad out of custom gunsmithing decades ago. People would say "I bought the whole gun for X dollars. You want to charge me half of X for a custom stock or whatever." They had no idea of how many hours go into custom work or machining or the innate value of what skilled craftsmen do. the Accu line are essentially hand fitted custom pistols. Don't let the fact that they compete in Production division make you think otherwise. You can't compare the cost of a 1911 bushing at Midway to the bushing from CZC. There are R&D costs, slide cutting and fitting involved.

Very well said!!!! i totally agree

There are a few reasons the guns sell for what they do...

First is the machining and making the parts, and then fitting them. That takes time and time is money.

The price is going up because the demand for the guns is going up, as well as inflation, politics etc etc all that stuff. And these guns aren't super common. Sure you can find a SP01 stock but a Shadow, Accu, ST etc are a lot harder to find.

The dealers may be making $500 on one of those guns when they sell it but you have to take in to consideration shelf time. If a gun is sitting on your shelf taking up space then you better be making more per sale on them. You might sell 5-10 Glocks (Hell maybe even 20) before a person comes in to your store and wants to buy an Acuu Shadow - it's a niche market. but thats the reason you only make $50 a sale on the Glocks - because they move fast and shelf time is a lot shorter.

Are the Accu's expensive? Hell yes they are, but man what a great pistol!

The Accu Shadow that I picked up was on the dealers shelf for 6 months before I snagged it. It was $1599 and had I known it was on the shelf for so long, I would've seen if I could get more $ off, but even with tax, it was about the same as buying online, having it shipped and FFL fees.

If you want expensive, look at the stuff Salient Arms is putting out.

Anyone have a breakdown on all the shadow models and options? There are so many different ones now I can't keep track. I got an SP-01 shadow custom target in October of 2011 for $1200. Great gun.

Edited by bigdave24

Here is what i came up with. it may not all be 100% accurate as I had to kind of mix and match across a few sites to get all the info. Should be pretty close though.\

Hmm won't let me attach an excel file.

Edited by Vanniek71

quick run down of SP01 models

"B" model

91152 SP01

91153 SP01 Tactical

91157 SP01 Tactical 40SW

91158 SP01 Phantom

Shadow model

91154 SP01 Shadow ( NOT available DUO, AUZ)

2013 and before

91029 SP01 Shadow Custom

91159 SP01 Shadow Target

91730 SP01 Shadow ACCU

Current line up

91030 SP01 Shadow Custom 2014

91159 SP01 Target ( CZ_USA ONLY )

91730 SP01 Shadow ACCU

91735 SP01 SHadow ACCU CZC

All current line up guns

Action job with CZ hammer, CZC FO front sight, SS guide rod, thin al grips, 85C trigger, polish feed ramp, polished internals, 11# recoil, 13# mainspring

SP01 Target ( CZ_USA ONLY ) adj rear sight

SP01 Custom 2014- Comp rear sight, pre B disconnector, ext firing pin

SP01 ACCU- HAJO Comp rear sight, Fitted short reset disconnector, ext firing pin, ACCU bushing

SP01 ACCU CZC- Comp rear sight, fitted short reset disconnector, ext firng pin, ACCU bushing, CZC match barrel