Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a new truck -- or very large car -- and advice

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More security options for you in a pickup:

https://www.diamondbackcovers.com/

Real nice covers. A friend has one. Worth the investment.

With a sliding bed deck, it is perfect as you never have to crawl in for anything. You Must have a locking tailgate though.

That looks really interesting, especially their 270 degree setup......

One thing to maybe think about that many people don't realize until after the purchase is that while the Tundra is a quality, awesome truck, the real world gas mileage in the v8s is in the 10 to 14mpg range.

Have you looked at 3/4 ton diesels? Or even gas? Real world, they end up getting the same or even better mileage than the v8 Tundra, and have a LOT more room.

n

Another thing that most people don't thinks about is the resonate frequency of road vibration/bumps in a smaller vs larger vehicle: The lower the gross weight of any vehicle, the higher the frequency of the vibrations/roughness felt by the occupants. While Pilots/4runners/and other vehicles are great, the reality is that a lighter vehicle is more tiring to drive, in general, than a larger, heavier vehicle.

I'm on my 5th Ford diesel, a 2013 F250 Fx4 diesel Lariat supercrew, and couldn't be happier. 2 years ago, I sold my 2009 F350 and bought a Tundra w/the 5.7. My biggest complaints about the Tundra were that I got WORSE gas mileage than my previous Ford, and the interior is almost EXACTLY the same as the Camry/Sienna.

I Bought my current Ford about 9 months after the Tundra and am very happy to be back in a large diesel... and the ride of the 3/4 ton is much better- at least to me- than the Tundra.

One thing to maybe think about that many people don't realize until after the purchase is that while the Tundra is a quality, awesome truck, the real world gas mileage in the v8s is in the 10 to 14mpg range.

Have you looked at 3/4 ton diesels? Or even gas? Real world, they end up getting the same or even better mileage than the v8 Tundra, and have a LOT more room.

n

Another thing that most people don't thinks about is the resonate frequency of road vibration/bumps in a smaller vs larger vehicle: The lower the gross weight of any vehicle, the higher the frequency of the vibrations/roughness felt by the occupants. While Pilots/4runners/and other vehicles are great, the reality is that a lighter vehicle is more tiring to drive, in general, than a larger, heavier vehicle.

I'm on my 5th Ford diesel, a 2013 F250 Fx4 diesel Lariat supercrew, and couldn't be happier. 2 years ago, I sold my 2009 F350 and bought a Tundra w/the 5.7. My biggest complaints about the Tundra were that I got WORSE gas mileage than my previous Ford, and the interior is almost EXACTLY the same as the Camry/Sienna.

I Bought my current Ford about 9 months after the Tundra and am very happy to be back in a large diesel... and the ride of the 3/4 ton is much better- at least to me- than the Tundra.

If you only drove in a straight line, I would be more likely to agree with the "easier to drive" part of this comment. One major thing I noticed when I traded my 3/4 ton Chevy Diesel for my F150 is turning at low speed, i.e.: parking lots etc, was/is much easier with the lighter F150 over the diesel.

n

I rented an F150 last week for a couple of days, to see if I could tolerate a pickup as a daily driver. The short answer is I can -- just not that Ford -- it was exhausting to drive, but I suspect that had a lot to do with its entry level status and lack of seat/column adjustability.

Of course I'm concerned about gas prices -- my current Tahoe gets about what the Tundra will get in real world driving -- and I've driven it since 2002, so I've got some experience with gas prices starting at $1.50/gallon only to see them shoot up to $5/gallon in short order. I'd be happy about getting better mileage, but I'm done with Chevy reliability. I bought the Tahoe new, it's on its fifth AC compressor (first two under warranty) and needs its third rear differential (one covered under an extended warranty.) If gas prices were to really jump again, I'd have to reconsider my options -- or take Carol's car a couple of days a week/see about telecommuting a bit.

The Ford is out -- my best friend works as a Ford mechanic, and steered me away from the entire product line. Chevy and GM are out as well -- I can't take the pain of surprise $1,000 repair bills on a semi-regular basis anymore.

I'll go look at Dodge, before I buy, but I suspect it'll come down to the Tundra. Really if full-size SUVs and Pickups were $10,000 cheaper across the board, I'd wind up in a Sequoia -- but I don't want to make the payments on that at current pricing levels. I'm not a pick-up fan; consider me more of a reluctant pick-up driver. That may change a little as I get used to it; but in 12-15 years when it;s time for the next vehicle, I'd be surprised if I started out looking for a pick-up as a first choice.

The 4Runner was eliminated yesterday -- it's tight enough to put significant pressure on a tendon insertion point in the left knee. Rats, I've liked those since they were introduced! And they offered better gas mileage......

My guess is the ford tech mentioned changing the plugs in a 150. If I remember right you practically have to remove the head to change the last plug on one side?

I know a ford tech too and he says they usually only change 7 plugs on a tune up!

My guess is the ford tech mentioned changing the plugs in a 150. If I remember right you practically have to remove the head to change the last plug on one side?

I know a ford tech too and he says they usually only change 7 plugs on a tune up!

Nope. His take -- and he's spent a quarter century working in various shops and dealerships -- is that he was seeing more of everything for individual vehicles....

In other words, if he looked at previous service history for a given vehicle, thereds be more incidents than other manufacturers.....

Nik, have you test driven a Sienna van yet? I poo-pooed the soccer Mom van until I drove one. :)

It would give me flashbacks to traveling around the country doing camera shows. (It may not be the very smartest move, but no minivans for me.....) :devil::devil:

You will be doing yourself a dis-service if you don't at least sit in one and take a test drive. This ain't your Momma's mini van. ;) I used to drive vans at work and hated them. The Sienna ride is spectacular compared to our Highlander and 4Runner. The ability to fold or remove different seats is great. My van with All Wheel Drive gets an average of 20+ mpg counting around town and freeway.

I have an acura Mdx in all wheel drive. It's the best vehicle I have owned, and that I won't be replacing anytime soon. Gas mileage is the only damper on it, other than that, the ride is suburb, interior space is amazing. I haul my two kids, all their junk and friends and don't feel like we are squished in.

I started googling to find out what type of nonsense the engineers at Ford did to accomplish that. I didn't find anything about one plug being impossible to reach but I did find hundreds of posts complaining about spark plugs breaking off in the heads off in 3 valve Triton engines. Ford used a weird plug that almost looks like a glow plug. The body of the plug goes down through a cylindrical cavity and gets seized with carbon causing the shaft of the plug the break off in the head. It's such a common problem that the special broken plug extractor tool is a prerequisite to doing a tune up on those engines!

I have an 06 Tacoma. It's had more issues than any American car I have ever owned. Steer clear.

That is a serious anomaly. Most of the problems with the latest generation tacomas were with the 05's which were the first year for the new style. I should know, I bought one. It has a few shortcomings but has not had any problem I would call major. By all accounts you must have gotten the odd Toyota lemon.

Of course one persons major problems are another's minor annoyances. Problems to me are like I had on my motor trend car of the year for 1992, the Ford Taurus. I thought I would be patriotic and buy american, especially since it was supposed to be sooooo good. If I recall I kept it almost 3 years since that was when the warranty was going to expire. In that short amount of time it went through:

1- set motor mounts. Really, what car has failed motor mounts?!?

3- AC pumps

2- Alternators

2- complete sets of brakes to include rotors.

2- Starters. Starter turned on one day and kept running until it burned up. Wife pulled it in the drive and said the car is trying to start itself. :)

And.... The tranny was going out, so I traded it off for another Toyota and have never looked back. The Tranny would lock in lower gears when trying to get on the highway and lock in high gear when trying to get off the highway. bwahaha.

Other than that it was a great car! :roflol:

What a POS!

Pulled the trigger yesterdays on a black 2014 Crewmax Tundra. Still getting used to the ocean liner feel.

It's an awfully nice truck, with awfully comfortable seats.....

Nice truck! My Tacoma does all I need it to but it is a dwarf when sitting next to a tundra.

You did the right thing.

I just bought a 2014 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 iForce V8, 4x4, CrewMax SR5 and am getting 20mpg highway. We live in a rural area and don't do any "city" driving. Truck has 3500mi. My brother-in-law and I frequently travel to 3-gun matches and the back seats of the crew cab fold up and allow us to pack in all the guns, coolers and range bags easily. I'm 6'2", 265lbs and like the bigger vehicles myself. I'll be adding a hard tonneau cover soon so guns/gear can be locked in the bed and have the ability to carpool with more shooters.