Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a new truck -- or very large car -- and advice

12 years after forum members here steered me into my beloved 2002 Tahoe, it's that time again. The truck needs to have the rear rebuilt for the third time, and a new tranny for the first time -- and it's worth about $2,000. I'm not sinking $5,000 into a $2,000 truck in one shot......

So on to the questions:

Who's got longterm reliability experience (Either more than 6 years or more than 150,000 miles) with the following:

Chevy Tahoe -- the version built since the last update around 2006/7

Dodge Durango -- the new one

Toyota Sequoia

Ford Flex

and ugh:

Chevy Silverado

Dodge Ram

Toyota Tundra

I'm not opposed to corporate cousins -- but I am very large for those of you who haven't met me in person so full size is probably the only option.

The only reason I'm down on pickup trucks is because I do most of my hauling inside -- the bed really does nothing for me. That said -- for pickup trucks, what are the options for getting a secure trunk on one? I'm aware of truck vault -- are there other options for the back seat area?

Or is a cap and some kind of vault the best idea?

Last but not least -- I drive like I'm on the autobahn. I've been driving rear drive Chevys for so long that they feel oddly like an extension of my body. If any of the contenders have handling quirks, please share....

Thank you all in advance!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nik, I have a Tundra, I've had it for 5 years (not many miles, I'm never home) but it has given me no problems. What convinced me to buy a Tundra was my boss. He had one with 260k miles, another with 180k (totaled in a wreck) and his last with 165 k miles...and none ever had any issues to speak of....and he is HARD on a vehicle...very hard...

I had a 2002 tundra and it was a great truck. Gas mileage wasn't great (17 mpg) but it went well in snow, was super reliable and went to 200k with little other than routine oil changes and tuneups. For semi secure storage, all my trucks have had ARE hard tonneau covers. Keeps stuff out of sight, and dry.

Got a 2007 Tahoe. Makes some weird noises from auto leveling, auto fwd doesn't engage (though can shift manually into it when needed). Runs fine. Had something in the power steering break a year or two ago - out of warranty and costly. 120,000 miles. I drive it hard and don't get routine maintenance other than oil changes. Mixed feelings.

Since you did not mention Ford, I won't comment on vehicles but for under the rear seat of my F150 Crew Cab, I am looking real hard at the Truck Bunker. I am actually having a welder friend look at making one that only goes under the large seat so I don't lose my subwoofer.

http://bedgunsafe.com/truck-bunker/

Consumer Reports is really giving Ford a bad report card for durability.....

The Flex may not make the cut.....

I have a ford edge the flex is smaller, for a man of full size I would stay away from that one..

The Flex is a lot bigger than the edge. It seats 7. The front 2 rows are pretty big, but no bigger than the front 2 rows of a full size crew cab pickup. My wife dives an '09 with AWD. It's nice, but coming from a Tahoe, I'd think you'd be happier with a pickup. The coming wave of new trucks will probably get about the same mpg anyway.

Says the man who replaced 3 rear ends on his Chevy ...

You would be surprised how roomy some other smaller vehicles can be, not being on truck frames can make a difference. Go plant your butt in as many vehicles as possible, you might be surprised how much room the some midsize SUV/CUVs have.

The Flex is a lot bigger than the edge. It seats 7. The front 2 rows are pretty big, but no bigger than the front 2 rows of a full size crew cab pickup. My wife dives an '09 with AWD. It's nice, but coming from a Tahoe, I'd think you'd be happier with a pickup. The coming wave of new trucks will probably get about the same mpg anyway.

My bad his was a escape !

Look at the Honda Ridgeline. My brother has one and it has been nothing but great for him. The best part of the truck is the lockable trunk in the bed. Its huge and if you look in the bed it does not look like it is even there.

Nik, I've had Toyotas since 1977. Right now my wife is driving a 2002 Highlander with around 210K miles. No serious issues. I think a water pump, brakes and something else that wasn't too expensive. Our spare vehicle is a 1997 4Runner with 150K that even our daughter couldn't kill. A little beat up but still runs fine. My soccer mom van is a 2014 Toyota Sienna AWD. Now that we have the 3 grandkids all the time it comes in handy. 3 rows of seats keep them separated. ;) The rear seats fold down and you have 8 feet of cargo space. It is the best riding vehicle I have ever had. We got a used 2005 Sienna a few years ago and ran it up to 150K and traded it in on the 2014. The AWD is great for anything but serious off road. The car sits a little close to the ground for off road. I won't even consider any vehicle but Toyota any more.

I just traded in a 2004 F150 FX4 with the 5.4, 250,000+ miles, 90% of those miles pulling a 6x10 work trailer, trans went out around 100.000 miles, the rebuilt one was starting to act up and I had all kinds of elec problems, 10mpg, but the engine didn't use any oil and still had power, I was told I got lucky! Went with the silverado this time, a ton of power and great fuel mileage so far

Says the man who replaced 3 rear ends on his Chevy ...

You would be surprised how roomy some other smaller vehicles can be, not being on truck frames can make a difference. Go plant your butt in as many vehicles as possible, you might be surprised how much room the some midsize SUV/CUVs have.

You're funny......

For the record, it's only been rebuilt twice -- but it needs doing now. If I'm ditching the truck though, there's no gain in making the repair...

:goof::goof:

Good advice -- I'll try to strap some cars on.....

Nik, I've had Toyotas since 1977. Right now my wife is driving a 2002 Highlander with around 210K miles. No serious issues. I think a water pump, brakes and something else that wasn't too expensive. Our spare vehicle is a 1997 4Runner with 150K that even our daughter couldn't kill. A little beat up but still runs fine. My soccer mom van is a 2014 Toyota Sienna AWD. Now that we have the 3 grandkids all the time it comes in handy. 3 rows of seats keep them separated. ;) The rear seats fold down and you have 8 feet of cargo space. It is the best riding vehicle I have ever had. We got a used 2005 Sienna a few years ago and ran it up to 150K and traded it in on the 2014. The AWD is great for anything but serious off road. The car sits a little close to the ground for off road. I won't even consider any vehicle but Toyota any more.

The Toyota -- based on reading and the longterm reliability -- is probably edging toward first place. The only thing holding me back is that I rob ably really can't swing a Sequoia -- and in truck storage is more appropriate for my lifestyle.....

That said, sometimes change surprises me.....

Buy something a year old, that you really like,and take the extended warranty on it. Don't buy a used rental vehicle.

It's depreciated to where the price will be fair, and payments will be realistic unless you're paying cash. For used go Carmax and pay cash or finance w an outside credit union. Hope this helps

Edited by Dustbuster1

Our 2010 ford flex is Rollin like a boss after 100k with only a set of front brakes and oil changes/tire rotations. I'd recommend it especially if you often have more than 2 adults - the back seat is enormous and has lots of leg room. Third row seat is best for kids..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My personal truck is a 2011 F150 4X4 with the Ecoboost engine. It's the first Ford pick-up I've ever owned, because I've always been a Chevy guy. It's by far the nicest/fastest pick-up I've ever driven. My only two complaints are that the steering wheel doesn't tilt as far down as the Chevy's do and the Ecoboost doesn't get the estimated MPG unless you drive under the speed limit. The interior is huge compared to the Chevy's.

My State truck is a 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4 with the 5.3 engine. I spend a LOT of time in this pick-up and drive the snot out of it. It's seen many 400+ mile trips at 90+ the entire trip. It just runs and runs and the AC blows my F150's away.

My next personal truck will be another Chevy or GMC, even though it is a bit smaller.

Edited by rangertrace

The 2015 Ford F-150 has an all Aluminium body so the weigh is down more than 700# and no more corrosion problems. Tow capacity fuel economy have gone up with the weigh reduction. Plenty of engine choices. Only wish they had a diesel option.

My personal truck is a 2011 F150 4X4 with the Ecoboost engine. It's the first Ford pick-up I've ever owned, because I've always been a Chevy guy. It's by far the nicest/fastest pick-up I've ever driven. My only two complaints are that the steering wheel doesn't tilt as far down as the Chevy's do and the Ecoboost doesn't get the estimated MPG unless you drive under the speed limit. The interior is huge compared to the Chevy's.

My State truck is a 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4 with the 5.3 engine. I spend a LOT of time in this pick-up and drive the snot out of it. It's seen many 400+ mile trips at 90+ the entire trip. It just runs and runs and the AC blows my F150's away.

My next personal truck will be another Chevy or GMC, even though it is a bit smaller.

A pick-up as a cop car -- that's funny to this East Coaster..... :D

A pick-up as a cop car -- that's funny to this East Coaster..... :D

They ran out of turbo charged Ram Chargers!!

No vehicle out there can compete with a Toyota for quality. But you apparently need a Mega sized interior so the only thing close to allowing you breathing room will be the biggest vehicles in the Toyota fleet.