Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

Quadrant,

What I would do if you just absolutely nave to use the Taylor Freelance is to ink the mag base on the surface that hits the magwell and then take it to a local machine shop to be milled to correct depth.. Fortunately I have access to one . Option B would be leaving all alone and running the factory magwell ??

Think I'm going to go with option B for now. I am going to try to compile a list of items that works well with the RIA 2011 specifically the 51679
That combo (option B) is the one working for me ..For now anyway

Thank You for all of your help!!!!!

I figured out a long time ago if your going to run a 2011 you have to be willing to tinker with them.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quadrant,

What I would do if you just absolutely nave to use the Taylor Freelance is to ink the mag base on the surface that hits the magwell and then take it to a local machine shop to be milled to correct depth.. Fortunately I have access to one . Option B would be leaving all alone and running the factory magwell ??

I had to open up the factory magwell on my .40 to get the mags to seat with the Dawson extensions. I used a dremel and a file to get the mag to seat and then blended the magwell to the frame of the gun.

Quadrant,

I had to open up the factory magwell on my .40 to get the mags to seat with the Dawson extensions. I used a dremel and a file to get the mag to seat and then blended the magwell to the frame of the gun.
Thankfully all 5 of my maGSG and bases worked without any problems

MBX will always be there after you get tired of messing with mags. Spend the money up front, and never mess with spring/basepad/follower/etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the MBX Magazines to long to be legal for Limited?

Has anyone replaced the sights? I want to replace the sights on my 2011 9mm (51679). I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the cut for this gun? (Novak is what I heard) I want the sight picture/presentation to resemble my STIs

I've been up on Dawson's and they have an adjustable sight for Para. (the cut is listed as LPA) They also have an adjustable listed for RIA 1911, however, it's slanted.

2. Should the replacement sights fit the Para or RAI 1911 (Dawson's lists both mfg)

The fronts sights listed are for Para and RIA 1911. (They have different part numbers, however)

Thank You

Edited by Quadrant

MBX will always be there after you get tired of messing with mags. Spend the money up front, and never mess with spring/basepad/follower/etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the MBX Magazines to long to be legal for Limited?

They make 140mm mags too, or more technically 141.25mm that just fit the gauge

Has anyone replaced the sights? I want to replace the sights on my 2011 9mm (51679). I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the cut for this gun? (Novak is what I heard) I want the sight picture/presentation to resemble my STIs

I've been up on Dawson's and they have an adjustable sight for Para. (the cut is listed as LPA) They also have an adjustable listed for RIA 1911, however, it's slanted.

2. Should the replacement sights fit the Para or RAI 1911 (Dawson's lists both mfg)

The fronts sights listed are for Para and RIA 1911. (They have different part numbers, however)

Thank You

I replaced both of mine on the same gun. I called Dawson and spoke with them about what I wanted and ordered them. I had to do some minor fitting but nothing more than I expected.

Yea it's a bit frustrating. I finally got the mag thing figured out. (Thanks to you guys) My issue deals with documentation and info. Tracking down what works with it and what don't is very time consuming at best. The crazy thing is that the gun shoots beautifully.

Yea it's a bit frustrating. I finally got the mag thing figured out. (Thanks to you guys) My issue deals with documentation and info. Tracking down what works with it and what don't is very time consuming at best. The crazy thing is that the gun shoots beautifully.

Hey Hump, do you remember the p/n they gave you?

I don't have that info but I will call Dawson tomorrow and see if I can get it.

You can actually review your orders by logging into the Dawson web. Click on "My Account" and then "Completed"

They make 140mm mags too, or more technically 141.25mm that just fit the gauge

e

Thank you Nightops!

Edited by Gary1911A1

Just ordered a RIA tac ultra in 45. I've been eying them since they were vaporware years ago and really wanted one in a 9mm.

I decided to go with the 45 because I don't load 40, and that's all I could find in stock. That 40 looks really good without the dust shield cut, oh well.

Now to find mag holders and a holster.

Hey Quadrant, I replaced my front sight with a Lightning Rod from Brazos, 0.330x65x0.075, this may be the part number, 40-067-75. The attached pics are for RIA front and rear sight dove tails, at least for the Pro Match 40. My 40 already has an adjustable rear sight, so I stuck with it.

post-59842-0-67943200-1458935450_thumb.j

post-59842-0-99449000-1458935457_thumb.j

Back again Quadrant, this is my Pro Match 40, the new addition is the Taylor Freelance magwell, have shot it, and like it, but tomorrow will be the true test, have the first competition. It's still cold and wet in Montana.

post-59842-0-50402900-1458935875_thumb.j

Back again Quadrant, this is my Pro Match 40, the new addition is the Taylor Freelance magwell, have shot it, and like it, but tomorrow will be the true test, have the first competition. It's still cold and wet in Montana.

Any mods made to use the Dawson extensions with the TF magwell?

Edited by superslowmo