Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Offhand Rifle Technique

Hi, aspiring 3-Gunner here looking for some advice. I'm 43 and have been shooting intermittently since childhood. The bulk of my experience has been shooting handguns, including some IPSC and IDPA. For shotgun, mostly casual skeet shooting and a good bit of dove hunting in my high school years. For rifle, a lot of .22 rifle at relatively short ranges(50yds and under), a little bolt action centerfire shooting, AR15 shooting, including a couple carbine classes. My AR shooting has been mostly well under 100yds with either iron sights or a red dot.

I shot my first 3-Gun Match recently and reaffirmed my weakness in offhand rifle at >100yd distances. I do well with the fairly close stuff, but seem to struggle with the longer stuff. Currently using a Burris MTAC 1-4 scope on my AR. Looking for pointers on proper technique for offhand shots with the AR. Things like stance, optimal positioning of my support hand, etc... Seems like many prefer full extension of your support arm with elbow locked and "c-grip" around handguard. I feel like for the longer shots I get a lot of movement of the barrel while trying to get a sight picture offhand. I know practice is one of the things I need the most, but just want to make sure I'm practicing correctly and not creating bad shooting habits. I would really appreciate any tips/pointers or resources that would help me improve this aspect of my shooting.

Thanks,

Eric

How much farther than 100 yards?

I stand less square to the target, with my hand back a little from the end of the handguard. Look at Highpower technique for guidance. Then spend time dry firing, and live fire every time you get to the range.

I almost forgot about breathing. Work at holding a deep breath, after letting some out. Your body will run low on oxygen faster than you think.

How much farther than 100 yards?

I stand less square to the target, with my hand back a little from the end of the handguard. Look at Highpower technique for guidance. Then spend time dry firing, and live fire every time you get to the range.

I almost forgot about breathing. Work at holding a deep breath, after letting some out. Your body will run low on oxygen faster than you think.

Thanks Dan for the tips. Mostly looking at trying to improve in the 100-200yard distances. Don't think I'm going to encounter anything further than that at the matches I plan on doing for a while.

Hi, aspiring 3-Gunner here looking for some advice. I'm 43 and have been shooting intermittently since childhood. The bulk of my experience has been shooting handguns, including some IPSC and IDPA. For shotgun, mostly casual skeet shooting and a good bit of dove hunting in my high school years. For rifle, a lot of .22 rifle at relatively short ranges(50yds and under), a little bolt action centerfire shooting, AR15 shooting, including a couple carbine classes. My AR shooting has been mostly well under 100yds with either iron sights or a red dot.

I shot my first 3-Gun Match recently and reaffirmed my weakness in offhand rifle at >100yd distances. I do well with the fairly close stuff, but seem to struggle with the longer stuff. Currently using a Burris MTAC 1-4 scope on my AR. Looking for pointers on proper technique for offhand shots with the AR. Things like stance, optimal positioning of my support hand, etc... Seems like many prefer full extension of your support arm with elbow locked and "c-grip" around handguard. I feel like for the longer shots I get a lot of movement of the barrel while trying to get a sight picture offhand. I know practice is one of the things I need the most, but just want to make sure I'm practicing correctly and not creating bad shooting habits. I would really appreciate any tips/pointers or resources that would help me improve this aspect of my shooting.

Thanks,

Eric

I pull the rifle up into my shoulder snug, but not trying to force it. If you force the position, the tension can cause more problems. I also prefer my arm out as far as I can on the hand guard.

To me the critical thing in off hand is learning to accept the wobble and work with it. If you panic when you see the cross hairs bouncing around, then it will usually just get worse. Everyone has some amount of wobble and the wobble can often change from day to day depending on you. The wobble can sometimes change from side to side, or up to down. Sometimes creating a controlled wobble can be helpful. This can be done in a side to side, up and down or a figure of eight.

Practice breaking the shot just as the cross hairs are coming over the target. The spot where you break the shot will depend on the distance to the target, and how much wobble you have.

Accept the wobble, work with it and the wobble can be your friend!

Build your shoulder muscle during dry fire. Bring the rifle up and hold steady on a target for a second or so. Drop the rifle and repeat. Four sets from each shoulder (we can't forget shooting from the other side right?) 25 reps per set. Feel the burn.

Edited by Brian Payne

Thanks,

Eric

I pull the rifle up into my shoulder snug, but not trying to force it. If you force the position, the tension can cause more problems. I also prefer my arm out as far as I can on the hand guard.

To me the critical thing in off hand is learning to accept the wobble and work with it. If you panic when you see the cross hairs bouncing around, then it will usually just get worse. Everyone has some amount of wobble and the wobble can often change from day to day depending on you. The wobble can sometimes change from side to side, or up to down. Sometimes creating a controlled wobble can be helpful. This can be done in a side to side, up and down or a figure of eight.

Practice breaking the shot just as the cross hairs are coming over the target. The spot where you break the shot will depend on the distance to the target, and how much wobble you have.

Accept the wobble, work with it and the wobble can be your friend!

This too ^^^ is my technique.

Heck it even works backwards!

Nice! Don't think I will be trying the backwards stuff right away. Thank you everyone for the great advice. These are exactly the kinds of pointers that I was hoping to get. That's why I love the shooting community. People here are awesome, thanks for taking the time to help steer me in the right direction.

What kind of trigger do you have on your rifle?

Milspec is really tough ...

ANYTHING else is a LOT better. :cheers:

Have a Hiperfire 24-C after upgrading from mil spec. Amazing how much better a quality trigger is.

Edited by ericridebike

And to just think, a 5'1" tall girl at the turn of the century used to do that with a Model 92 Winchester lever action with Buckhorn sights.....man we have really progressed! ;)

I will say it is much easier with buckhorns! Try looking though a rear aperture from 20" away!

Like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel, ever turning, ever moving, like and endless spining reel......uh.... what's an aperture sight? I guess I have never seen one close up or far away. Do you just center stuff in the hole? :)

Edited by kurtm

I am right handed but left eye dominant and decided to just switch to left handed for shooting (matches and all). I had a detached retina in my right eye when I was 16 so I used to be right eye dominant but now I have to wear a contact in my right eye and my vision in it still isn't great. I had been doing 3-gun for about 8 months when I decide to switch. The first couple of matches were frustrating, but now I can shoot from either side just as well. If you don't mind sacrificing a couple of local matches scores you will be good to go after. Like everything in shooting sports it comes down to trigger time.

Stop drinking coffee before shooting! Really, it makes a huge difference, ask me how I know. That goes for any caffeine source. As far as wobble goes, I start below the target and prep the trigger as I bring the reticle up to my desired poa in a controlled straight up manner then break the shot as soon as it's where I want it. I make no attempt to hold on the target, I can control movement in a up/down direction a lot easier than stopping the movement altogether.