Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have a tip for you - Buy Ben Stogers PRACTICAL PISTOL

GARD72977

I shot my first match on 8/2 and came in second place. I was hooked. After doing some research Ben Stoeger seemed like the best choice for training books. I ordered a couple of Bens books from Amazon and decided to choose the super slow free shipping because im cheap.

Books came in on Friday 8/22 and I started reading them Practical Pistol

Shot my Classifier on 8/23 and I wanted to make Expert so bad I could taste it. When I shot stage 3 I drew and went after it just like the first two stages and my points down suffered. My classifier was 112.39 for SSP making me Sharp Shooter

When I got home I started reading it and there was the simple information that I need to shave those 2.39 seconds off my time. if I had of received this book one day earlier I would have easily made expert.

• 2 weeks later...

Knowing and doing are two different things. I know I need to watch the front sight on all my shots past a certain distance, but I don't always do.

But I've heard good things about his books and want to read it. A friend of mine made GM recently and says the books helped tremendously.

I would say that there are fundamentals for shooting but there are also fundamentals for shooting a stage and I did not see that until I read the book. You cant have one mind set and go with it all day. The book just brought a lot of simple things to my attention that are very helpful. I have been using them in airsoft and dry fire and can already tell some difference. Next match is this Saturday. I wont get to live fire before the match so it will become the proving ground. Not looking to make a major difference but hope to become a little faster/ more accurate in several areas. I think because of my lower skill level learning some new things makes a bigger difference for me than some one more advanced.

If you want to really learn something take a class from him ....

I really want to take a class but I don't know how helpful it would be right now. I plan to follow his books until I start to plateau. Maybe take a class next year.

My son in law wants to shoot with me. We did some airsoft training yesterday. I felt like an instructor. He fumbled his way through a drill with 2 barricades and 4 targets. After a little coaching with info straight from the book he was running them pretty smooth. We changed up the drill several times and had a lot of fun. Im making a lot of improvement with my home training

I read all his books, watched his videos and think theyre great. I took a class from Ben this summer and it was awesome. Now when I read the books, I get so much more out of them. But to the OP, dont kid yourself, nothing you read is going to automatically save you time.

Yeah, good point ...

Also, waiting a year to take a class means you may build up a year's worth of bad habits to try and undo ... You don't know what you don't know. Also, unless you are convinced that you already know how to train correctly (not what to do) but the 'process' of training, you can save yourself a ton of wasted time over the next year ...

What's your specific purpose for thinking that waiting a year before taking a class will be beneficial?

I took my first 2-day class from Mike Seeklander 1 month after deciding I was going to get into competitive shooting. In fact my first match was the day following the 2 day class ... I didn't want to have a year or 2 of bad habits to unlearn. I wanted to learn the correct techniques from the very beginning ...

Edited by Nimitz

Ben doesn't like teaching newbs. His pre-requisite for attendance is pretty much B or better.

When did he lower his standards that far? He told me GM or GTFO.

It's B or above for normal people, I guess you didn't get the hint? Or did you?

I got all of Ben Stoeger's books, plus the video, and they are all extremely helpful. Most of those are on my phone, and I get back to them whenever I have a minute to spare.

Can't wait for Ben to come to Ontario, Canada for a course - I'm told it may still happen this year.

Ben doesn't like teaching newbs. His pre-requisite for attendance is pretty much B or better.

When did he lower his standards that far? He told me GM or GTFO.

No wonder he yelled me the entire 2 days of the class last Oct ....

I read all his books, watched his videos and think theyre great. I took a class from Ben this summer and it was awesome. Now when I read the books, I get so much more out of them. But to the OP, dont kid yourself, nothing you read is going to automatically save you time.

If you read the part about planning a stage and it did not save you time just by reading it then maybe you should try reading it again