Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 won't go into battery!

nitrohuck

Today's range trip was a doozy, my 2011 decided to become a single shot gun.

Trying to figure out what the hell is keeping my gun from going into battery, rounds are being stripped from the mag and going up the feed ramp without issue, but then when the case is about 50% of the way into the chamber the slide just gives up. I can then push the gun into battery using my thumb with ease, no effort whatsoever.

This is happening with just about every single round, or every other round. Used both Xtreme bullets as well as my own cast bullets, same thing happens with either bullet.

The ONLY thing that was done to this gun today was it was cleaned before heading to the range, and I removed a lot of Slideglide as it felt slow to manually rack the slide and I felt I had too much on there. Got most all of it off, headed to the range and then began having these issues. Oddly enough I didn't have the issue last range trip when I DID have all that slideglide in there. SG has yet to make my guns short stroke,

Here's a video of what's happening, filmed today:

photo1_zps5912147f.jpg

photo2_zpsb2f2a5e7.jpg

Edited by nitrohuck

OAL for the two bullets are 1.180 (lead) and 1.190" (xtreme),

it isn't an issue of the bullet being too long, I have loaded and shot about 1k+ of these loads since I bought the pistol a few weeks back, only today did they start doing this.

Also I would think if it were an issue of the oal being too long I wouldn't be able to just push it so easily into battery.

Rounds are all crimped to my ideal liking, all cases sized in the U-die, again, I don't think I will find the solution to my problem in my rounds, but rather in the gun itself.

Edited by nitrohuck

Oil the bejesus out of it.. OAL can sometimes get out of adjustment on the press. It doesn't take much to get wedged in there cockeyed like your pics. And yes they would tap into battery fairly easily as well.

Like somebody else said, try it with factory ammo. That is the only way to rule out ammo.

Edit to add I actually took the time to look at the video and it seems to be ammo related.

Edited by Sarge

That is looking like a failure of the rim of the brass getting under the extractor hook during the chambering process. When was the last time you took your extractor out, fully cleaned it and the channel, then inspected it for damage? Take the slide off the frame, remove the barrel then test fit a piece of brass under the extractor so its in the normal "chambered" position. If there is excessive friction or resistance while pushing the brass up under the extractor then it will cause this type of jam.

That is looking like a failure of the rim of the brass getting under the extractor hook during the chambering process. When was the last time you took your extractor out, fully cleaned it and the channel, then inspected it for damage? Take the slide off the frame, remove the barrel then test fit a piece of brass under the extractor so its in the normal "chambered" position. If there is excessive friction or resistance while pushing the brass up under the extractor then it will cause this type of jam.

This is sounding like it may just be the cause of the problem! You are right that the "jam" happens right at the point where the brass is sliding under the extractor,

and no, in 1,000 rounds I have yet to take the extractor off, it is very possible that when I removed the slideglide that I accidentally pushed crap underneath or into the extractor channel.

The ammo was gauged on loading, and the OAL did not lengthen, it was right where it should be

Yep, it indeed jammed with a two handed grip. I actually am somewhat clueless as to what recoil spring I have in there, I was planning on buying a 14lb variable spring to try out.

PROBLEM SOLVED!.... (I think)

Took the extractor out, definitely had bit of crud built up around the hook that I must've pushed into there as I was wiping away excess slideglide this morning.

I gave the extractor a thorough clean and replaced it in the gun. Took some rounds, loaded them into the magazine, and they fed just fine, my extractor is maybe a LITTLE bit tight, if I very lightly ease the slide forward I can get it to stick in the same spot again, but when I rack the slide normally all rounds are chambering as they should now!

extractor cleaning seems to have solved this problem. I have yet to test in live fire, but if they are easily chambering by hand then they should certainly chamber under the force of live firing. Tomorrow I will be back at the range to verify.

Thanks a ton CHALEE!

Edited by nitrohuck

This is sounding like it may just be the cause of the problem! You are right that the "jam" happens right at the point where the brass is sliding under the extractor

Check tension with an accurate gauge (I use the Weigand gauges). For 9x19, my STI likes tension in the range of about 15 - 20 ounces. Edited by bountyhunter

Time for a new recoil spring, they do wear out.

Where is the best place to buy a recoil spring? Maybe I am missing something here, but I can not find any Wolff recoil springs for 2011's, only mag springs.

Time for a new recoil spring, they do wear out.

Where is the best place to buy a recoil spring? Maybe I am missing something here, but I can not find any Wolff recoil springs for 2011's, only mag springs.

1911/2011 parts are the same. ( with just a few exceptions)

For springs they are all interchangeable. Shooters connection is just one of many great sources out there. They ship super fast!