Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decocker or not?

GunBandit

So I have searched around the CZ section looking for reasons to buy a decocker model (SP-01 Tactical) or a safety model (SP-01). I found some info but it was scattered around. Right now I am shooting a G17 which I like, but after shooting my buddy's TA90 the other day I really want a DA/SA steel gun. It was amazing compared to my Glock and it was just a regular 75 clone. I have read that it is easier to work on a nondecocker model and you can get a better trigger on a non FPB gun (i.e. 85 combat). This is lame but my biggest concern is decocking the gun on LAMR with a nondecocker model. It may not be that big of a deal and I can do it with other pistols I have, I just wanted to get some info if possible from the more experienced DA/SA shooters. Thanks.

This is lame but my biggest concern is decocking the gun on LAMR with a nondecocker model.

None of the desirable Shadow models, which lack the firing-pin block, are available with decockers.

Practice lowering your hammer in dry fire and you'll be good to go.

This is lame but my biggest concern is decocking the gun on LAMR with a nondecocker model.

None of the desirable Shadow models, which lack the firing-pin block, are available with decockers.

Practice lowering your hammer in dry fire and you'll be good to go.

I should have thought that through a little more I guess. My fear is a DQ because of an AD, but that should be avoidable by working it in dryfire.

As a recent convert from a G17 to an AccuShadow, I shared your concern.

Honestly, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. A little dry fire practice and some live fire verification and you should be comfortable.

I still have some concerns about lowering the hammer when winter hits (it rains, and gets cold here on the wet side of the PNW). In the nastiest weather I may still break out the block.

Worried about that as well when I bought my Shadow in Dec ... One week of dry fire and I've never thought about it since ... Just be deliberate becuase if the gun goes bang you are going home ....

... My fear is a DQ because of an AD, but that should be avoidable by working it in dryfire.

It's not a race to manually decock, be slow and methodical and you'll be OK. I do thumb/middle finger on the hammer with index finger under the hammer until I need to move it out of the way. At the point I'm sliding it out the hammer is so far down theres not enough energy to ignite.

FWIW, I'm about 10-15k rounds in on switching to CZ after Glock, and only one AD manually decocking, during practice. ... I overlubed the rails, and didn't wipe it down, the oil from back rails got on hammer, and hammer slipped from fingers, and at the time was doing a different method. Index finger under would have prevented this, and wiping excess oil off back surface periodically also. You'll be OK.

Agree to take your time. I once had the hammer slip a little bit during LAMR, but only enough to scare me. Never had any other close calls in many thousands of decocks. You'll do it a few dozen times every live fire session, so you should have a pretty good idea of whether it's a problem long before you shoot a match.

I use the safety as a thumb rest for my strong hand, so the decocker model is totally awkward for me to grip. I have one as a nightstand gun, but i'm going to sell it soon.

Avoid the decocker models. The trigger will not be as good.

If you are worried about it then you can firmly grasp the hammer with your weak hand when lowering instead of just doing stronghand thumb. I don't think I have ever had a close call in the least using this method.

When using the decocker on my CZ 85 Combat, I put my left index finger between the hammer and firing pin and then lower the hammer onto my finger and then slowly remove my finger. No accidental discharges so far.

Is there a need to do this with a decocker?

I thought only needed when manually de-cocking models with safety instead of decocker?

If you want the best of both worlds, get a CZ P-09. It can be a decocker or Safety. And you can get the trigger very close to Custom Shadow and better than Custom SP-01 Tactical ( I have both guns done by CZC ) with minimal parts and takes about 15minutes and good kitchen table to swap the parts ( using a suction cup vise). And it will not break the bank.

BGC

If you want the best of both worlds, get a CZ P-09. It can be a decocker or Safety. And you can get the trigger very close to Custom Shadow and better than Custom SP-01 Tactical ( I have both guns done by CZC ) with minimal parts and takes about 15minutes and good kitchen table to swap the parts ( using a suction cup vise). And it will not break the bank.

BGC

I like that pistol but am looking for a heavier gun like the sp01 (shadow or not). That TA90 I shot was so much easier to track and get back on target.

this is the best way to decock a shadow, I have seen NDs with all the other methods

Does USPA or IDPA require a hammer fully down on DA/SA? Or, can you put the hammer in half cock? Because if you can put the hammer in half cock position, I think that's the safest way, since you can just put your thumb between the hammer and pull the trigger in a safe direction. It will fall to the half cock notch.

Hammer is fully down unless the gun has a decocker then it is in whatever position the decocker leaves it which may be on quarter cock. Hammer fully down or decocked for Production and if it is a selective action like the CZ Shadow then it can be down or cocked with the safety engaged for Limited.

Edited by mgardner

• 2 months later...

Avoid the decocker models. The trigger will not be as good.

I hear that all the time. Can someone quantify the difference? Can it even be discerned?

Knowing how the decocker works on the 75 series, I see absolutely nothing about it that would get in the way of getting both the double and single action pulls as good as any other B series 75.

The decoking lever does not even interact with the sear unless you are pushing down on it

The first CZ I was using in Production was a CZ SP01 Tactical 9mm, which is simply the decocker version of the SP01. I ordered it from Matt Mink of Automatic Accuracy who did the full trigger job, swapped sights, trigger, hammer, springs, etc.

I've since moved on to a CZ Accu. But I can tell you as someone with experience with the decocker version, that it CAN be worked over to have an outstanding trigger. Mink got the DA/SA down to approximately 7#/3#. The reset is slightly longer than a Shadow with the SRTS, but it's still very nice. Matt did as much as he could to shorten both the pre-travel and reset as much as possible with the SP01 Tactical, and I was amazed at how much he improved everything.

A decocker version can be worked over to have a very nice overall trigger.