Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Pistol Powders

Blvck

Very recently got into reloading 9mm's since me an my dad have gotten into competition shooting our current load is as follows...

Xtreme 9mm HP 124gn

Random Range Brass

Bullseye 4.0 gr

OAL 1.145

As we all know the gunpowder situation can come an go is there any powders I should look into that have similar characteristics or maybe even been an in which ways?

look for N320, Burns clean & recoil is soft. down fall is it cost more and is hard to find. If you find it buy what you can, If you don't like it you can sell it (you will have people beating down your door to buy it from you).

Red Dot, Promo, e3, and TightGroup all have their proponents in 9mm for faster powders with light loads. In the medium burners I tend to favor True Blue or Silhouette (if you can find them), but you take what you can get nowadays. Almost any powder that will burn completely in a 9mm pistol will give decent results if you load it right, so you will see almost all powders mentioned if you do a search.

Bullseye would not be my first choice as a 9mm powder. It was one of the first (if not THE first) smokeless pistol powder, and most users find it on the dirty side but with acceptable accuracy. There are others that will burn cleaner, have a wider load range in many calibers, and be more accurate in most guns.

look for N320, Burns clean & recoil is soft. down fall is it cost more and is hard to find. If you find it buy what you can, If you don't like it you can sell it (you will have people beating down your door to buy it from you).

I've been using Titegroup for 9mm with excellent results, my supply is winding down... I should begin working up VV N320 loads within the next couple of weeks.... I've got 32 lbs of it, and while it is surely more expensive than Titegroup, I jumped at the opportunity to secure a fair amount.

~g

I scored 8lbs of Red Dot and 8lbs of Bullseye today.

So, I'm set for about 35,000 rounds of 9mm, or a bit less since some of it will go in 45 as well.

Edited by AJE

I live in SoCal as well. Getting powder here does feel impossible at times. I finally broke down and paid almost double retail for what I wanted on gun broker. I may have gotten robbed on the price, but I got the powder I wanted.

So, I'm set for about 35,000 rounds of 9mm, or a bit less since some of it will go in 45 as well.

That doesn't help me.
The store puts 8lbers on gunbroker. They have them in stock... That's something.

That doesn't help me.
The store puts 8lbers on gunbroker. They have them in stock... That's something.

definitely look into that... just hard to be patient when everyone around me seems to have 30 + lbs. :surprise:

I just scored 32lbs of Bullseye from my local reloading shop and have been using Win231 before that for all of my 9mm loads. But at this point, I think you'll have more luck finding Bullseye than Win231. BTW I'm running 3.1gr of Bullseye with SNS Casting 125gr RN at 1.100". Chrono's right around 960 or so, very soft shooting and perfect for 3 gun.

Red Dot, Promo, e3, and TightGroup all have their proponents in 9mm for faster powders with light loads. In the medium burners I tend to favor True Blue or Silhouette (if you can find them), but you take what you can get nowadays. Almost any powder that will burn completely in a 9mm pistol will give decent results if you load it right, so you will see almost all powders mentioned if you do a search.

Bullseye would not be my first choice as a 9mm powder. It was one of the first (if not THE first) smokeless pistol powder, and most users find it on the dirty side but with acceptable accuracy. There are others that will burn cleaner, have a wider load range in many calibers, and be more accurate in most guns.

I use red dot exclusively for 9mm, I'm surprised you don't hear about it more. TG has pretty much cornered that market

I've been testing powders for a while. Stay away from unique in my opinion. I've had good success with titegroup and longshot for all bullets and titewad for 115gr or lighter bullets. I've tried PB also but it is a very tight spec and results are all over.

Edited by Buildit2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies everyone, so unique I definitely am not a fan of. I recently picked up some power pistol. Anyone have a load for competition use in a glock 34? We usually run our bullseye as followed...

OAL 1.145

Xtreme HP

Mixed Brass

Bullseye 4.0 gn

We've also played around with the flat points which aesthetically I love. I can't explain why. Same setup but the OAL is 1.125

Any advice or things I should look for? Also a load book I should look to purchase?

Let me share a tip someone on this forum shared with me. Go to either grafs or mid south shooters supply and back order the powder of your choice. You will probably have it sooner than you think. As far as powder selections other than bullseye. I have used and liked:

WST ,231,wsf, VVn320 and powerpistol. My first choice is VVn320 with WST and WSF as tied for second place.

I only load powerpistol in 147's. Using 4.5 grains with the precision delta 147 fmjfp. Or using the bayou 147 with 4 grains. Both work well in my 17L

I've been using Titegroup for 9mm with excellent results, my supply is winding down... I should begin working up VV N320 loads within the next couple of weeks.... I've got 32 lbs of it, and while it is surely more expensive than Titegroup, I jumped at the opportunity to secure a fair amount.

~g

32 lbs? We know why there is a shortage now.

~g

32 lbs? We know why there is a shortage now.

Not really, but its the most affordable way to purchase supplies.... in bulk. None of it has been resold for profit!

Just curious what was total cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are referring to the 32lbs... it was $105 for a 4lb keg.... plus shipping/hazmet.

~g