Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sanding a mag release in SSP

Wesquire

I know the rules say you can't have a visible modification of the mag release, but what if this occurs from normal wear? The extended releases on Glocks have sharp edges, and if I sanded them or even just had the edges smoothed out from normal use...would this be breaking the rules?

If you wanna sand your mag release, sign up for esp and knock yourself out. Otherwise you're breaking the rules and doing so intentionally.

If the edges break from normal wear and use, great. Enjoy SSP.

But if those edges on the release make the gun so intolerable you feel the need to cheat to stay in SSP, just do the mod and sign up for ESP or find a different gun.

Nah. I just explained the rules bluntly and called cheating what it is. Should I not condemn cheating?

You have several honorable paths to solve your issue listed in my post. Why can I not discourage you from the wrong one?

Alright. My bad for misreading you. I'm not going to cheat (even though my local matches allow 1911 9mms in SSP and would never question it). If I decide to sand the edges (a small comfort problem), I'll just order stock replacements to use in matches.

I had a similar problem with an extended slide lock release chewing up my thumb. On some polymer parts there is what is called "flashing material or over mold" which is created when a micro fine amount of material gets in a mold crevice and it can be sharp.

What did was put on a heavy rough leather glove (think Home Depot yard type) and just kept locking the slide back and released it over and over while watching a ball game. After about a zillion times the release lever was smoothed out enough to not be a problem.

OMG! You cheated because you didn't wear it out in actual competition... but in the comfort of your own living room! You should be ashamed of yourself! :roflol:

OK... seriously... is there any difference between that and a few quick swipes with emery paper? Other than the time. Is the end result not the same? And, does it really make a 'rat's patootie' to anyone but the overly obsessed?

OMG!!! A "GAMER" smoothed out a rough part on his gun. We need to lynch him now! :roflol:

OMG! You cheated because you didn't wear it out in actual competition... but in the comfort of your own living room! You should be ashamed of yourself! :roflol:

OK... seriously... is there any difference between that and a few quick swipes with emery paper? Other than the time. Is the end result not the same? And, does it really make a 'rat's patootie' to anyone but the overly obsessed?

OMG!!! A "GAMER" smoothed out a rough part on his gun. We need to lynch him now! :roflol:

Yeah, and what if someone wears gloves with a sandpaper like texture?

DISCLAIMER - I'm no longer an IDPA member/shooter...

That said, something this small is not cheating in reality. Look for the intent of the rules and consider this before saying that someone is a cheater for asking about making a pretty insignificant alteration to their pistol. In reality, every G34 produced is not EXACTLY like every other. There are tolerances in the manufacturing process and things like mold flash mentioned by previous poster.

Calling this guy a cheater for asking is a fine example of how to not win friends.

DISCLAIMER - I'm no longer an IDPA member/shooter...

That said, something this small is not cheating in reality. Look for the intent of the rules and consider this before saying that someone is a cheater for asking about making a pretty insignificant alteration to their pistol. In reality, every G34 produced is not EXACTLY like every other. There are tolerances in the manufacturing process and things like mold flash mentioned by previous poster.

Calling this guy a cheater for asking is a fine example of how to not win friends.

It is fine, he is just being blunt. Doesn't bother me. I don't think I'd call anyone a cheater for doing this either. It is clearly not what the intent of the rules were trying to prohibit.

• 3 weeks later...

There are rules and then there is the IDPA set of rules. What is being discussed here is not a violation of the rules IMO, as long as there is no advantage gained or enhancement made. Knocking of the rough edges is no big deal again IMO!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG what a joke. It's not like the guy wants to add a tungsten guide rod and slide cuts. He just wants to knock of the sharp edge's on a mag release!!!!!!!! Get a grip people!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

If you wanna sand your mag release, sign up for esp and knock yourself out. Otherwise you're breaking the rules and doing so intentionally.

If the edges break from normal wear and use, great. Enjoy SSP.

But if those edges on the release make the gun so intolerable you feel the need to cheat to stay in SSP, just do the mod and sign up for ESP or find a different gun.

GMAFB...........

• 2 weeks later...

Some folks need to take a few grow up pills. Either we play by the rules or we don't. The OP knows what he has to do to stay legal in SSP so leave it at that. One reply actually laid it out pretty clearly - the poster used the term bluntl.

One of the posters states at his club 1911's shoot in SSP. Why not? Who Cares? Where is the harm? Is everyone still having fun? Well if you are not shooting IDPA then it doesn't really matter. Unfortunately the club and it's members think they are and it does matter.

Why bother with a rule book anyway. Was it this forum where one member wondered what mods he had to do to his GP - 100 in order to make it fit in the box? His club insisted it had to in order to be legal, and he just knew it would not fit if he left in stock form.....

The OP has a mindset that says he wants to do what is right. Refreshing really. My bet sandpaper never gets near his mag release.

Take Care

Bob

Edited by robertbank

Have you thought about putting a small piece of grip tape on the face of the mag release? This may take care of that sharp edge. Worst case, buy another mag release and try something that "covers" the sharp edge. Maybe the new mag release may not have the sharp edge, due to the variation in manufacturing. This way it shouldn't be a permanently "modified" part.