Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lighter Recoil Spring Disadvantages

ES13Raven

As long as your Glock passes the "standard test" of vertical returning to battery with the trigger depressed, are there any disadvantages to running a lighter recoil spring?

For example, most shooters running a Glock 34 minor prefer a 13lb spring. Are there any disadvantageous to running an 11lb if the gun functions properly?

Your pushing it with an 11lb Recoil spring. Not saying some don't use it but i tried it and when i slammed a mag home in a match it went out of battery. That was my experience. Try it for a while when your practicing and see if it works for you. With a 13lb your safe no problem. I change mine every 10,000 rounds whether it needs it or not..

11 is really pushing it in a Glock. In my 34 it would come out of battery just by shaking the gun violently. Once it got dirty it was not nearly reliable enough. There is a reason many shooters run a 13!

11 is really pushing it in a Glock. In my 34 it would come out of battery just by shaking the gun violently. Once it got dirty it was not nearly reliable enough. There is a reason many shooters run a 13!

I think you are fine as long as you are running a light striker spring as well. I'm running a 4# wolff striker spring, Zev extended striker and 11# ISMI spring on a Jager Gen4 steel guide rod. I haven't had any issues.

I was just curious if there are any other disadvantages like the slide beating up the frame, or anything else...

No test proof, but I'm starting to see that with these kind of changes made to achieve a lighter trigger, and softer perceived recoil. Seems to Require more cleanings to assure reliability.Would that be over all conscience here just had a round fail to feed. Lighter 12 lb recoil spring was my first thought, but will tear down, and clean and (NOT over lube as prescribe by ZEV) ;)

I think you are fine as long as you are running a light striker spring as well. I'm running a 4# wolff striker spring, Zev extended striker and 11# ISMI spring on a Jager Gen4 steel guide rod. I haven't had any issues.

I was just curious if there are any other disadvantages like the slide beating up the frame, or anything else...

Mine was all tricked out with triggers and light striker springs as well.

I can say for a fact that too much Slide Glide on a 13# springed gun shooting minor will cause the gun to malfunction. Learned that one the hard way. And yes, the gun gets gunked up quicker shooting minor and requires more attention. I have always used a 13# spring for up to 140 PF and a 15# for above 140. Any heavier and I get a pronounced dip when the slide returns to battery. At least that is my experience.

Edited by bowenbuilt

IPSC Shooter here:

All I can say is -- I've got 2 x Standard/Limited G34s and an Open G17 , All with 11 pound springs, tungsten guide rods etc etc

and I run them "wet" (plenty of lube and cleaned almost straight after I shoot them) and been shooting them between 3 to 5 years

and NO problems !!

Shoot Safe,Best Regards.

Potentially more wear and tear on the frame. Watch your sights while shooting the various weight springs. Too light will increase muzzle rise. Too heavy and you get muzzle dip. Spring weight is very dependent on your load. Factory ammo 13lb is likely too light. 125PF hand loads and it might be too much. You really need to experiment with your loads in your gun. Springs are cheap.

We'll I guess it is how each person perceives recoil, some feel it when the slide recoils back and some when it slams forward. I tend to deal with the forward recoil better and use a heaver spring. The proper spring neutral position for your load is when the case falls about 6 feet to the side. You can customize for your feel heaver or lighter from there with different springs. Sorry for any confusion.

There is no rule of thumb that one spring is better/worse than another spring. I urge you to try this -

1) develop your "pet load" the way you want it (high accuracy, low power factor, low recoil)

2) get a factory original recoil spring, a light spring, and a heavy spring for your gun

3) test each by shooting multiple fast 6rd strings into a 7 yard target with your load

4) use whatever spring that makes your sights track the flattest & reset the fastest

5) don't worry about adjusting this further and move on to training & practice

Find out what works best for your gun, your sights, your load, and your eyes -- then go practice.

In addition to what has been mentioned, I find that my locking block pin will start to walk out of the frame over time with too light a spring, as the barrel lugs seem to impact the locking block harder.