Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Single Stack

427Cobra

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STI has another frill or two. I've shot the 9mm SA RO. Softest shooting 9mm I've ever fired, and accurate to boot. The trigger had a bit of take up play and was slightly creepy in the letoff, but it still wasn't that bad overall. Haven't fired the STI.

IMO no. I know the STI faithful will say it is. I have worked on and scratch built 1911s for decades. There are things I don't like about both. Nothing major. My recently acquired 9mm RO is a pretty darn well made gun. Of course I had to "tinker" with it. You will need a FL guide rod, extended mag release and possibly a different thumb safety. Everyone's hands are different. The stock grip safety is not bad. Both guns are more than accurate enough. Neither is in the same universe with a scratch built Bullseye 1911.

Do you plan on competing with it? If so, which games are you interested in. I just got an R.O. for Steel Challenge, IDPA, and probably some single stack minor. I need to develop a load for it because what was working for my M&P's isn't giving me the accuracy I'd hoped for. This pistol seems like a solid blank canvas to build on. Most of the time I change sights, grips, and triggers anyway. Btw, I just received some Dawson 10 rd. mags and though I havent had a chance to try them, they look promising.

I like the Springfield loaded but, shoot a Armscor because it was cheaper and seems to run good. The STI is good too. One thing you might check on is metalform mags. cabelas had them on sale for $25 and so far they have been perfect. While I kept my 45, my 9 is my favorite gun to shoot, get one and enjoy.

Later

The RO can be had for the same price as a Spartan. The Spartan is just an Armscor with a pretty face. I have owned one, along with a RIA Tactical. Both in 9mm. They are both decent guns. This one looks to fit between the plain Tactical and Spartan.http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/716005906/Rock+Island+Armory+51623+TAC+1911+II+FS+9%2B1+9mm+5%22 The Metalform mags can be modified a little to work even better. I cut the little flared lip off the front and installed some Tripp followers. They would actually hold 11 rounds after doing that.

I have 2 Trojans. Great guns and very accurate. I run them with Dawson mags and never a problem. Absolute pleasure to shoot. I doubt you can go wrong either way though. If you get a Trojan run your ammo a little long at 1.145-1.150 OAL. You'll. here about feeding issues with 9mm 1911's. I've had no issue with round nose or flat nose bullets at this length. Shooting a 147gr 132000 power factor out of a Trojan is sweet. Good luck.

Edited by doc88

The RO can be had for the same price as a Spartan. The Spartan is just an Armscor with a pretty face. I have owned one, along with a RIA Tactical. Both in 9mm. They are both decent guns. This one looks to fit between the plain Tactical and Spartan.http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/716005906/Rock+Island+Armory+51623+TAC+1911+II+FS+9%2B1+9mm+5%22 The Metalform mags can be modified a little to work even better. I cut the little flared lip off the front and installed some Tripp followers. They would actually hold 11 rounds after doing that.

I've not seen the RO for $625 to $699. They are $799 around here. Still, a great deal for a TRP with an ugly face.

Don't forget about the Kimber guns. I bought one a few years ago and put a Dawson magwell, mag catch and narrow front sight on it and it is fantastic. I just tweaked the leaf spring and installed a 15 lb mainspring and have a nice 2 lb trigger.

Bill, my first choice will always be a Kimber. A 9mm Stainless Target is in the $1,100 range. I had one. Actually a friend and I have swapped it back and forth several times. I installed a Kimber .40 barrel to go along with the 9mm barrel. Kimber uses the same breech face for both. I own a couple of .45 Stainless Target models. One I shoot in ESP with 130 PF loads. I think the RO has a better stock grip safety design. I fitted an Ed Brown safety to the ESP gun.

I shoot SS Minor with an STI Trojan 9mm and Tripp Mags. Gun runs great. I own the Spartan in 9mm and .45 ACP. All guns had a little internal "smoothing" and Tripp chromed/coated the Spartans. Added Super slim VZ grips and short curved triggers. Pretty accurate and the slide to frame fit is great on all. I can't stand a gun that rattles which I've felt at times with a Kimber

Edited by Locomotion

What about a Clakamas model?

All Kimber 1911s, regardless of what they say on the frame, were and continue to be built in New York.

Before the company moved its FFL, there are some that have Clackamas, Oregon on them, but all Kimbers come from the same place.

Back on topic,

I have an STI Spartan and I have shot many, many thousands of rounds through it. My only complaint is that it will not feed my beloved 147 grain flat point so I use 135 grain round nose (.38 super style) bullets in it. I also have a Springfield EMP which will feed anything. If I had it to do all over again, I would get something with a ramped barrel. The two mentioned in this thread both have ramped barrels.

weigh it with a mag in it before you put a FLGR in. I had to take them out of 2 of my 9's to make weight for SS.

I've worked on both and for the money their both good guns. STI may be finished a little nicer and some internal parts are better but not 400 better.

Try and get both in your hands think you may find that the STI is a little smoother but 2000 rounds later that won't matter.

SA is a good choice for the money, that said I would probably buy the STI FWIW