Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many divisions do you shoot?

Thanks for all the counsel, gang. From the start, I'll be attending a couple of matches a month for the camaraderie and knowledge. But I'm sure as the weeks and months come and go I'll become more competitive - it's in my nature.

I'm torn between production and limited mostly because I can't choose which gun I want to shoot: CZ SP-01 Shadow or a custom 2011. Both are so sweet.

I say shoot them both (obviously not at the same time) but since you're newish you should experience both divisions for yourself and then figure out a way you can enjoy both guns in a rotation.

I'm kind of like you, I have multiple guns which fit multiple divisions and I can't help but like them all. So I flit from division to division as the whim strikes me, or it also depends on what division I signed up for in the upcoming major match and spend the preceding month or three shooting it.

• 2 weeks later...

I only shoot Revolver now. I shot L10 for 1.5 years because the (627) 8 shot revolvers where not legal in revolver division at that time. I focus only on one division because I want to be a GM in revolver division. Most people I see at matches shoot multiple division throughout the year because that is what they like. Also, most all them have a different gun for each division they participate in.

I used to shoot Production and SS, but the matches here have been getting so popular its been tough to shoot two guns. Now I just shoot SS. It does make life easier.....and the wallet too. I have noticed I'm getting better just shooting one gun than two different types. Lot to be said about sticking to one platform rather than bouncing around.

Classified in all 6 divisions. I regularly compete in Limited, single stack when I need to remember to aim. I shoot production from time to time for something different. I shot open years ago but never got the hang of it.

90% or more of my trigger time is in L10 (at home in Hawaii) or Limited for majors. Also shoot a little Production and once in a while Open. I realized I just cant shoot fast enough in Open to finish where I do in Limited but Open is FUN. Classified in Limited, L10, Prod., Open.

Its hard to improve when switching divisions as I do, but I do so when I feel boredom or frustration setting in. No wonder I cant get out of A class. Been playing in the sport about 12 years now.

90% or more of my trigger time is in L10 (at home in Hawaii) or Limited for majors. Also shoot a little Production and once in a while Open. I realized I just cant shoot fast enough in Open to finish where I do in Limited but Open is FUN. Classified in Limited, L10, Prod., Open.

Its hard to improve when switching divisions as I do, but I do so when I feel boredom or frustration setting in. No wonder I cant get out of A class. Been playing in the sport about 12 years now.

I'd be very pleased with an A class myself.

To answer the OP's original question, I compete in Production and Limited with Glocks, using the same belt, holster, and pouches in Production legal positions. For that matter, when I change out the holster and pouches to shoot the G21 in L10, they're in the same position -- and essentially identical to my production gear for the 9mm guns.....

And once in a while when I shoot a house gun in Open -- yep, it's a Glock, and it's drawn from my production division belt set-up.....

I'm classified in all the divisions, I have the guns to play in them, so why not? Granted, I am accused by my shooting friends of jumping from one division to another too frequently, ( I also jump between USPSA and Steel Challenge) it's hurts my performance and I agree with that statement. I kind of base what division I am going to shoot next on what pistol I have not shot in a while.

I have a couple planned bigger matches upcoming where I am going to shoot "Production", so I am going to try to stay with Production for the rest of the year. My Open pistol is getting a work over, so till it comes back, "Production" it is. But, when it comes back, it will be Open from then on.... (hopefully)

It's all about the fun,...no sponsors are going to be knocking down my door anyway....

I think Production will make you a better shooter.

More emphasis on accuracy, reloading, and stage planning.

This is good. I'm definitely going to start with Production. Yesterday was supposed to be the first time at a match, but family stuff happened and couldn't make it out after dinner. I guess I have to wait yet another week.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Production will make you a better shooter.

More emphasis on accuracy, reloading, and stage planning.

This is good. I'm definitely going to start with Production. Yesterday was supposed to be the first time at a match, but family stuff happened and couldn't make it out after dinner. I guess I have to wait yet another week.

I actually have had better luck helping people get started in Limited. Since we are talking USPShootingA limited will let you worry less about reloading, muzzle awareness while reloading, and counting to 10 and focus your efforts on shooting, moving, and learning the game.

After they get a few matches under their belt and understand how to do a walk through, how the scoring works and have some experience hitting things its no harder to switch to Production than starting out your first few matches in Prod.

I have seen too many people develop very slowly in Limited because they use magazine capacity as a crutch for poor shooting.

If having 10 shots for 8 round arrays makes you good at stage breakdown and reloading, imagine what shooting the 8 round divisions could do for you!

I personally have bounced around too much. I got classified in limited, open, and single stack in my first year of shooting USPSA with 6 different guns. I'm now going to focus on the two most ergonomically similar divisions L and SS (I guess L10 is more similar, but if I'm using a race rig I may as well load the mags).

I am a pretty blind production shooter who's been running CZ shadows (have a regular and a 2012/orange) and a stock II. My variable eyesight (cornea disease, keratocunus) meant I struggled to be consistent UNTIL I dry fired like crazy to develop muscle memory to the point that in my natural stance my gun is always in the same place and my eyes always in the same place. that finally got me moving up the charts but I still suffered through low ports etc when everything was not in that perfect alingment. It was getting a bit frustrating.

So I bought an open gun. Have only shot one match with it (which was rained out 2/3 of the way through) but finished at 59% in open which was not bad against 4 GMs. I'd only just half set-up the gun and that included stuff like never having shot it SHO or WHO before the match.

I've barely touch my production guns since i started training with the open gun, but I think shooting open will make me a better production shooter too.

Now, In production I favour my CZ, in open I shoot a EAA/tanfoglio gold team/eric custom.

I shoot with an experience shooter who tells me keep shooting the EAA open gun, but give up the CZ prod gun and shoot the stock II in production since it shares the same frame as the open gun.

I'm reluctant to do that as I really like my shadow, but it does make sense. Having said that the CZ at least shares the same trigger type, same grip angle and same basic design so it's not drastically different.

I've also just bought a 1911 and will shoot classic (SS) from time to time for fun. :)

I do agree, if you want to get to the top, pick a gun and shoot it. Though the top guys like Eric G seem able to switch around without hassle. :)

I only shoot Classic division (SS) and to keep myself from being tempted to shoot others I simply don't buy guns that are competitive in other divisions (did I mention I have a lot of cool .22s? lol). If I had guns for other divisions I would want to shoot them and I know that would hurt my performance.