Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broke down and bought a Dillon... My wife's gonna kill me!

I am new to this forum. Last year I bought my husband a Mr. Bulletfeeder just to force his hand on getting the Dillon 650. It's an awesome value. He reloads everything we shoot -- 9mm, 45 ACP, 40 S&W, even 38 SPL. Best investment I ever made in that Mr. Bullet!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am new to this forum. Last year I bought my husband a Mr. Bulletfeeder just to force his hand on getting the Dillon 650. It's an awesome value. He reloads everything we shoot -- 9mm, 45 ACP, 40 S&W, even 38 SPL. Best investment I ever made in that Mr. Bullet!

Can you call my wife and tell her that? Please!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is the greatest.

I picked up my new 650 this morning in .45. While it is the largest single expense, it is less than half of the expense I've figured out that I still need to buy. I still need to buy the powder scale, bins, boxes, chrono, brass cleaning equipment, etc. (probably a case feeder and the accessories that Dillon didn't put on there but make life easier) then I want to load 2 other calibers, so I'll be spending the extra $200+ on each caliber as well. My saving grace is that the GF wants to shoot as much as I do. I just need to hide the couple new guns I bought for a while. Haha Maybe I canhelp my cause by letting her dad do some reloading.

I started with the .45 because it is the most expensive pistol ammo I will be using. The cheapest stuff at WalMart this morning was $23 a box. Loading my own I can get the stuff right now for .23/bullet or $11.50 a box. That is even including buying the brass at the gun shows. When 9mm can be had from freedom for $10 a box when you buy 1,000 rounds, it just isn't worth the expense to add to the press right now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Congrats!!! We are loading 9mm for $160 per 1,000 (bullets, CCI primer and powder), we like it as we shoot USPSA, 3 Gun and can controll power factor. What I like the most is I can load anytime I need/want to shoot. Every year around November I buy 10,000 bullets, 10,000 primers and powder. Around May I start to buy (to adjust the stock) if I need to and never get upset beacuse I cant buy what I want as I have no stress about finding it. I was told a long time ago "its easier to buy when you dont need it than when you do". Welcolm and ask questions!

With those amounts you should be paying a lot less than $160 per 1000

Sent from my handheld oracle.

You won't regret buying a Dillon. Love my 550B and really caught the reloading bug! Right now it's just 9mm and Win .270 for my deer rifle, but when I finish building my AR it will be 5.56 as well. Best thing I have bought aside from my XDM 5.25!

Buy one for her too. Her very own personal xl650, and put it next to yours. Think of all the fun time you'll have together. Just couples time. Alone in the reloading room. Nothing could be more romantic. Oh hell, just give her your credit card and a kiss on the cheek.

• 3 weeks later...

It is a lifetime machine. (or longer)

You will get decades of service out of it.

Given that...it's not even $50 a year, really. Plus, it should cut your ammo cost (per thousand) in half.

It's just good math.

:)

Your Children and grandchildren, will use it for many years.....it is a long term INVESTMENT !

The Case feeder is on my HOT list, the 650 runs so quick, I run out of cases before I even get into the "swing of things"

On the fence, can you keep a tally of the cost till your first round is produce? Just curious and so I can start saving. Now I just have to stop spending the savings.

Got my 650 for $530 set for 40 cal. dies(Dillon) for $60. That got me started. The caliber change is pricey, I think around $300 with the dies(9mm). This is a new toolhead, powder dispenser, stand, shell plate, powder funnel, and buttons. I have this all set-up to change from .40 to 9mm in about 5 minutes ready to run loads.

Everybody rationalizes a reloader rig purchase for the cost savings.... But for me it was more about building competitive loads that would allow me to tune my guns to run stages faster. I like saving money - don't get me wrong, but I like light recoil more.

Getting to control how the reloads feel is a plus as well. Different powders/bullet combos etc. Spring weights.

I save money reloading, but it means I shoot more. It also allows me to purchase more guns to shoot up my excess ammo :)

• 3 months later...

You got a damned fine machine. If I had it to do over I would have started with the 650 too. As it was, new to the shooting sports and reloading, I got the RL550B added a case feeder and have put some where in the neighborhood of 75,000 plus rounds through it over the past five years, the vast majority being .40S&W and 9mm. Currently, at this stage in life, 69+, I just can't justify the investment in a new press. Might not live long enough to enjoy it . ;-) Happy reloading! Oh, Mama will get over it! Mine did! LOL!