Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first 1911

b1gcountry

I'm sure nobody has ever asked this question before...

I'm a long time glock shooter. The first 1911 I ever shoot jammed like crazy, and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm ready to get over it and try one out. I don't know what I want to do with it. Prolly just a range toy. I do want something reliable, and I don't mind spending a little more for something purdy.

Whaddaya think?

I'm fine with 8-900, but if I spend more than that, i would want nice wood, and two tone stainless. I can't see myself paying much over 1100 for my first one. I will probably look around for a nice used one to pop up. I'm not looking for a race gun either.

Your price range will also cover the PARA line. I have been very satisfied with my Pro-Comp Custom 14-45 (you have to negotiate to get that price range, on the Pro Comp, but it is achievable. :cheers:

For an inexpensive .45 1911 I like the Taurus PT-1911 I've got. Just got it several years ago to see if all the "haters" comments were anywhere near valid. I may have lucked out and gotten one of the better ones, but, it seems to work - and shoot accurately - as well as many of the way more expensive ones. Bud's Gun Shop has a pretty good price on one at the moment.

Scroll thru this section and you can't help but find something you may want !

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_1171/Handguns/1911s

Range Officer. I shoot one in a couple of different competitions. Very reliable. I have 3000 rounds thru it. No issues no problems. It's priced right for the features you get. It's very accurate. And eats anything you feed it. I shoot a lot of Alanta Arms reloads when practicing, and use S&B when shooting competitions. Both 230 gr. I have shot HP from a few different manufactures with no issues.

If I'm lazy, it will go about 400 rounds before it needs to be cleaned. But I usually clean it after every outing.

Edited by Sleddog30

you failed to mention brand or why or how it's jamming. More times than not a simple adjustment on the extractor will cure most problems. May be easier to

have the pistol you have checked out by someone who knows 1911. Not unusual to spend a little time tuning a pistol or ammo if your reloading. 1911's like oil they won't run dry. A little oil may cure the problem.

The gun was a Colt. Don't know the model, but i think it was a gi model. It was likely a mix of poor maintenance, bad mags, and user error. This was my first range trip ever 12+ years ago. I haven't been interested until now.

Doors the range officer come in different models?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by b1gcountry

It comes in a compact and a standard 5 inch model. The standard size is available in 9mm or 45acp. The compact is only available in 45acp. Check the Springfield Armory site for more details.

Edited by Sleddog30

Pretty much anything you get these days is going to be fairly reliable. I have been using Caspian stuff for a long time and it has always been good to me. But it might be hard to find someone offering a complete pistol. But it's not hard to build a good one yourself with a little planning.

Edited by Dranoel

For that price range I like the newer Colts and the Springfield RO

Colt quality wasn't always great. I remember someone got me to try this Colt Peacemaker that I'm guessing was made in the 70s or 80s. The thing felt like it was ready to come apart during firing and it would take a large sum of cash to get me to try that thing again out of concern for my wellbeing.

For a functional dependable 1911 under $900 I would go with a Rock Island Tac or the SA Range Officer.

No matter what you buy, get a few Wilson ETM 8 round and a few Tripp 8 round mags for a 45. For a 9mm version I would switch that order.

Having mags that run with your 1911 is very important for reliability.

I'm sure nobody has ever asked this question before...

I'm a long time glock shooter. The first 1911 I ever shoot jammed like crazy, and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm ready to get over it and try one out. I don't know what I want to do with it. Prolly just a range toy. I do want something reliable, and I don't mind spending a little more for something purdy.

Whaddaya think?

You can go with a mass made brand or something better. The mass made guns from SA, Para, Colt, RI and all the rest are fine.... unless they aren't and then you have a project that spends it's life getting fixed.

My recommendation for value is to buy in at the lowest price point of a better maker like an STI Trojan. I don't know if the STI Spartan is any better than other mass made guns because I assume they are also mass produced, but the Trojans are (or were) still hand fitted guns.

The point is you can spend $1400 for a "upscale" Colt or SA or Para but they are still made by Colt, SA, and Para. You can spend $1400 for a Trojan which is a semi custom made by people who build some of the finest 1911 guns going.

Edited by bountyhunter

If you're military/ leo/ reservist of any branch, you qualify for special pricing for Springfield weapons. Got me a nice 1911 Springfield A1 target 9mm for around 820, new! Leaps and bounds over my glock 34 with a vanek trigger. Love it,