Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 Rimfire Open Pistol Build

Hatchet

We have recently started a Steel Challenge match at our club and I have always wanted to build a 22 open pistol. A good pistol for a club shooter. Not a $3000 master shooter.

I think I have settled on Ruger because of the wide availability of parts and I like to take things apart and hopefully put them back together. I have read all of the forums on here about this, but want a little more input.

I thought I was sold on the 22/45 Lite since it had a threaded barrel and I could easily attach a comp. But some videos I watched seemed to show a good bit of muzzle flip, even when comped. The other threaded barrel 22/45 has the same length(4.5 inch) barrel, but is 8 oz heavier. Give me your take on less weight for transition vs. recoil reduction. I would also like input on barrel length.

I think I have settled on the Volquartsen accurizing trigger.

Next is optic. C-more vs. Fastfire III. It seems like I can get the FFIII mounted lower. From what I have read this is an advantage. Any advice on mounting either?

Last, but not least, is a comp. Some of the comps I have seen have ports 360 degrees. It seems to me it would be better to only have ports on the top/ sides.

If you have any other advice on mags, tools or anything to improve my idea, I would greatly appreciate it.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 22/45 "old style" non-removable grips MK-3... set up with a 90deg. C-more mount, Vol trigger and COMP..... If you want to build your gun a little at a time... Spring for the Sam bussing or "mod" to get the mags to drop free... and then just go out and get some range time.... :cheers:

I have a 22/45 "old style" non-removable grips MK-3... set up with a 90deg. C-more mount, Vol trigger and COMP..... If you want to build your gun a little at a time... Spring for the Sam bussing or "mod" to get the mags to drop free... and then just go out and get some range time.... :cheers:

I have seen the 90 degree mount. I was afraid that it would interfere with finding the next target. Do you find that to be the case or not?

Look at MaddMacs' precision for a comp. He builds several that aren't a "360" comp like a lot of 22/45 comps. Some of his are very similar to 2011 open gun comps. He even has a few diameters available depending on which gun you choose (22/45 Lite, 22/45 threaded, 22/45 tac lite upper). His are guaranteed to time perfectly as well.

get the lighter shorter one. steel challenge is ALL about transitions.

in IPSC etc we want open guns that shoot flat (or at least less muzzle flip) in order to get a fast double tap/second shot. there's no need to double tap anything in steel challenge. it's all shoot one target then move on. that's why you see guys like STI make their steel challenge 2011's on short frames for less weight and easier transitions despite the muzzle flip penalty.

have fun. :)

I have a FF3 on mine, I have also used large 50mm red dots,

I like how low it is to the barrel, for me I prefer to shoot that way.

I also had my barrel threaded and put a lenang comp on.

It started off as a 22/45 mk3

Converted to mk2 and did some other internal mods.

widowmaker88-albums-22-45-picture8125-im

widowmaker88-albums-22-45-picture8117-im

I am greatly irritated. I spent ten or fifteen minutes on the phone discussing things with Hatchet (the OP) and why I thought the new Ruger 22/45 Lite was a great choice as the base for a Steel Challenge/NSSF pistol. I don't know if I convinced him to buy one, but I went out and bought one today! Just because I need another .22, not!

Pics to follow.

Don't overlook the Browning Buck Mark. The Ruger Barrel assembly is the serial numbered part so any replacement barrels have to go through and FFL. The grip angle on the Browning is like a 1911. There are a variety of aftermarket parts available also. I recommend the Tac Sol barrels for both the Ruger and the Browning. Juwanted to give you another option to look at hope it helps.

I am greatly irritated. I spent ten or fifteen minutes on the phone discussing things with Hatchet (the OP) and why I thought the new Ruger 22/45 Lite was a great choice as the base for a Steel Challenge/NSSF pistol. I don't know if I convinced him to buy one, but I went out and bought one today! Just because I need another .22, not!

Pics to follow.

Did I mention that I work for Ruger and it's a new reverse psychology marketing technique that we're trying out? Not really. I'm going to get a Lite next week and put it together. Pics soon. Thanks, TB.

I recently finished a rimfire open build in the hopes that I can get my son started on competitive shooting. I went with the Ruger platform since that's what I know best in the world of rimfire; my father got me a MkII for xmas when I was 11. I was planning on just getting a Pac-lite upper for my existing frame but decided I'd rather have my son learn on a more standard mag release setup and started looking for a MKIII frame. I got a Brownells flyer in the mail at the same time my wife was bugging me about what I wanted as an anniversary gift and the build went off the deep end; although the frame came from another site that was a lot cheaper. My boy is a bit of a peanut and just coming up on 9 so I wanted the build as light as possible; the only trade-off I made in that respect is the longer barrel but it came out light enough I think. I only have a hundred rounds through it, 70 mini-mag and 30 Aguila, but it operated flawlessly. Can't wait to setup a Steel Challenge stage in the pits at my club and take him over to start him learnin :D

PacLite1.jpg

PacLite2.jpg

PacLite3.jpg

Full build:
Volquartsen lower with their race parts
Tactical Solutions billet grips
Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite 6" threaded upper
Tactical Solutions comp and rail
old Optima 2000 (JPoint) dot sight I had in the parts bin
JP JPoint picatinny mount
Ruger bolt assembly (ebay)
Ruger mainspring assembly
Majestic Arms MKIII mags with extended basepads.

the nimitz buckmark and the bostonbuilt ruger are both all kinds of AWESOME!

I've never been a big fan of either (apart from the fact that both are super reliable) but you have me well converted. that ruger is just stunning. your buckmark has me considering that as a SC gun too nimitz. :)

well done guys.

I need to stop reading this thread! These guns are SWEET! I may even be able to get Mrs. Jones to shoot steel challenge with on of those. She's shot my CORE with the red dot and she says it's like cheating.

My new Ruger. Added the TacSol comp I took off my pink gun and put on a set of VZ thin grips I had. I've ordered a VQ trigger kit, Tandemkross spacer to remove the loaded chamber indicator and a mag safety removal bushing from MadMacs. I haven't decided yet but I will also most likely add a Burris FFIII.

lnww.jpg

My new Ruger. Added the TacSol comp I took off my pink gun and put on a set of VZ thin grips I had. I've ordered a VQ trigger kit, Tandemkross spacer to remove the loaded chamber indicator and a mag safety removal bushing from MadMacs. I haven't decided yet but I will also most likely add a Burris FFIII.

Have you tried to remove the LCI in that gun yet? Reason why I ask is that on my Cobalt LITE the LCI pin seems to be driven in. No magnet or any of the other techniques listed on this forum or other forums works to get it out. I have removed several LCI's from the steel models and even the black LITE model but I think short of driving the pin out mine wont budge. Just curious what yours is like.