Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas Star distance

Huh?

Steel Challenge does not utilize Texas Stars for steel challenge stages

Texas stars are typically used for USPSA, follow typical safe distances for shooting steel of no closer then 7 - 10 yards

Edited by alecmc

MD at my club usually has the star or PPR at 20 yds. Irish Plate rack arrives this month (I'm out of town). He may be nice and have it at 15 yds since it is the first time.

• 2 weeks later...
Typically a star is shot at about 10 yards from what I have seen.[/quote

Wow ... I need to start shooting where you shoot .... When our MD is feeling charitable he moves it IN to 15 yds ...

All steel stage a few months back, 3 poppers and 2 Texas stars from 35 yards, from separate boxes. That stage separated the usual winners from the actual shooters.

All steel stage a few months back, 3 poppers and 2 Texas stars from 35 yards, from separate boxes. That stage separated the usual winners from the actual shooters.

Separated usual winners from actual shooters? That makes no sense amigo.

• 3 months later...

Would it be against USPSA rules to require shooters to engage a Texas star strong or weak hand only? Now, that would be sinister!!!

In Georgia state championship this year, had to shoot a Texas star while holding a rope to open a port. Wasn't quite one handed, but support hand was merely only able to touch/support the gun, not hold it

To the one handed question there are two ways to make the one-handed engagement happen per the rules:

1. Create a situation like holding a rope, bucket or another prop in one hand for the course of the stage or at a particular point in the stage "Briefcase must be carried in the weak hand at or below waist level during the course of fire while engaging targets"

2. It is allowable to specify strong or weak hand only on a medium course of fire (20 shots or less) for the final 6 shots. The challenge is making the last 6 (5 in the case of the star) without restricting freestyle engagement of the stage. At GA state they did this on one stage with 6 poppers and placed them behind a barrier, furthest targets from the start line and with some distance between the poppers and any other targets. It did not specify that the poppers had to be the last targets engaged, just made it to be the least time costly but shooters still had a choice.

I would say practice at 15-20 yards but it will depend on matches in your area or matches you plan to shoot. Minimum distance is 23' to steel but there has to be a movement barrier, 26' minimum with just a fault line.